New Guy In Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy In Town

Fast Freida's Owner introduced me to this forum. I have a 356B Roadster that was restored 3 years ago here in Richmond, VA. I have owned the car since 10/23/64. I also have a 1984 Targa.
    I live in Chester, VA which is about 15 miles South of RIC!
    Pics of the 356 follow.
    jrp

Click image for larger version

Name:	9-16-1215.Roadster-EarlyPorsche1stPlaceClassics.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	8059

Name:	9-16-1212.TheRoadsterClassicsOnTheGreen.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	8060

Welcome John!

Thank you for posting up those shots of your beautiful Roadster. You've had it since '64 so you're probably the second owner? Anything special done to the motor or are you stock? I'll have to thank Pat for sending you this way. Looking forward to your participation and welcome once again!
    Best regards,Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

JR

I see you navigated the sign up procedure--welcome! This is a cool forum about things old sailors like!

Comment

Hey Justin,
        Yep-Pat also introduced me to Lufteknic, a Porsche shop here in RIC. We did a 3 step process in the resto. 1st brakes, front end and a badly needed coupler. Then the engine which had a very bad #1 exhaust valve. We moved it from 1600 to 1750 and the power curve was 'enhanced'! Then a few months later in for the body, pan, longitudinals, door posts, battery box etc etc and $$$$$-however I feel we have doubled our investment. It came from being the 2nd car in the family to an occasional driver and show car locally. It is numbers matching and the C of A verifies it. It is part of the family.

Comment

Hey JR,

That's a nice car and well worth while spending some $$'s on. When you have owned a car from the 60's (also like I have ), they do become sort of part of the family. They also become like an old dog pampered somewhat the older they get

Very nice to see the photo's and also welcome to this very friendly forum.

Roy

Comment

Hey Dick, It both looks and sounds like great car thats dialed in real nice now. I completely understand about how they become part of the family just like Roy's coupe. Thank you for sharing some details about it! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Roy. I stopped down to the shop that restored the car this afternoon. Drove my '84 Targa. I put my movie camera on a small tripod for the run up I-95. Fun stuff-if it looks good i'll try doing that for our next Porsche drive in the Spring.

Comment

Hey All,
                A Good Day For a Ride in a Porsche or Two!
                I just could not let today go by with out taking the Porsches out for a ride.
                It was a little chilly to drop the top on the Roadster when I started out this morning, but I did roll the window down.

Name:	1-20-138.Roadster-BraLess.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	10004
                We (me) headed out on to Rt 288 which is a divided Highway here in the Richmond area.
                Actually, when I started I had the Bra on for nose protection.
                Yes it is ugly, but no stone chips this way!

Name:	1-20-131.RoadsterBraOn-Front.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	10005

Getting up to speed-almost 60 mph-Whee!
                Full tank of gas-lets go!

Name:	1-20-135.InstrumentCluster-2900RPM58MPH.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	10006

Then looking down the road-pick up trucks all over the place

Name:	1-20-136.LookingDownTheRoad-Roadster.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	10007
                I tried a 5 sec Movie, but it might not come up for you-lets give it a try.
                Nope you lucked out it wouldn't come up, however I can see it!
                Anyway we took a 60 mile junket-NICE day!
                Came home and put it to bed and covered it up.

Name:	1-20-139.RoadsterInTheGarageCovered.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	10008
                Then it was the Targa's turn!
                Top OFF!
                It was getting warmer!

Name:	1-20-1310.TargaTopOff.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	10009
                Targa Dash-Getting ready to put the top back on-

Name:	1-20-1311.TargaDashBoard.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	10010
                Sure wished the movies would have worked.
                I had a Beach Boys CD playing.
                Really sounds good!!
                Time for some football watching!
                Cheers,
                Dick

Comment

Thanks Dick! Great post! So nice to see owners actually driving and enjoying thier cars!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

As we used to say in US Navy Aviation:

OR
                    "ROGER THAT"!!

Dick

Comment

Since it was nasty weather here in Central Virginia today and I had the Roadster out yesterday to get the 60 miles I needed to bring the car up to the 2000 mile maintenance interval I adjusted the valves this morning.
                      I only had two valves, the #1 exhaust and # 3 intake, that had closed up .001 and .002 respectively.
                      2012 miles ago, on 8/21/11, I had 4 valves that needed to be reset.
                      Perhaps they are settling in.
                      The engine now has 7,738 miles on it since rebuild.
                      Another 200 miles and it will be oil change time once again and I'll be 'Summer Ready'!

Dick

Comment

Glad to hear your getting her ready for spring Dick! What is the general rule of thumb for adjusting the valves on these engines? As I understood it valve adjustment and points were a constant chore with these engines; Before electronic ignitions of course. Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Hey Dick, good to get out and do that. I am taking mine out today,there is a wind chill below freezing so won't be getting the spanners out on mine though. Justin do the points correctly and they last a long time.

Roy

Comment

Justin,
                            I check the valve adjustment every 2000 miles and change the oil and filter at that interval also.
                            There is about a 200 mile interval between the two events.
                            The strainer gets pulled and checked every other oil change or 4000 miles.
                            I sent in a oil sample a couple of changes ago for analysis to see if there was any abnormal metal particles.
                            Everthing was good!
                            Points I periodically check for a .016 setting.
                            I'm a purist so the 356 ignition system is not electronic and I don't have a electric fuel pump although sometimes I think mayhbe I should have done that.

Dick

Comment

Hey Roy,
                              Good to hear!
                              I hope your snow has departed so you won't have slippery roads.
                              Dick

Comment

Working...
                              X