Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 356 Owner....

Today I took the plunge!
    I am a proud owner of a '58 Coupe, a "Barn Find" from a neighbor on my street. It will be a driver, with lot's of work ahead....
    Mike
    Click image for larger version

Name:	backcopy.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	5153

Name:	FullDirtcopy.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	5154

Name:	INT.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	5155

Name:	TOWDcopy.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	5156

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the New forum! Congratulations on scoring this '58 coupe! It looks like a really nice one. What is the history on it? This is your first 356; what cars were you into before? We are looking forward to pictures of your progress. If you have any questions concerning your new car please just ask. There are enough of us here to answer any question you might have about it. Congratulations on your purchase again and Welcome!
    best regards, Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Hey Justin,
      It's been in the same family since at least 1973. I saw the original Pink Slip today at the DMV, it was pink and the fee for registration was $8!
      It was handed down between two brothers, one of which is still around. I hope to find out more, the big mystery being how this RH drive car got here...
      It is my first Porsche, and wasn't actually looking for one.
      I just happened upon it two years ago in my neighbors garage. I asked if was for sale, and never heard back. The next time the garage was opened, about 2 months ago, I just happened to drive by again, this time I was able to buy it.
      I did own a '67 Firebird Conv. which I bought from a friend. I fixed it up over time, and sold it 14 years later.
      That is my plan with the 356, get it running and slowly fix it up.
      Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

My favorite year for Camaro and firebird '67, '68 best looking cars! That is so great that you got some of the old paperwork and history with your 356! All of your outside shots of the car has the windows dusted over so I could not see what side the steering wheel was on. The photo of your interior clearly shows its a RHD car but it did not click in my head until you stated that it was RHD. Expect a message shortly from Roy Mawbey in the UK. I believe he said that less than 5% of the entire production run came from the factory RHD not to mention most lived in damp climates and have long since rusted away. Bottom line you have a very rare car! Does the motor run? Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

I was told that when it was parked 10 years ago it was running.
          I want to change fluids, gaskets, etc before I attempt to start it.
          I was lucky the brakes worked, since our street is pretty steep!

Comment

Please keep us posted on your progress!
            Justin Rio

Comment

Mike,
              Well I never! A RHD 356A is a rare car to find and as Justin says they were only produced in limited numbers for countries like the UK,Australia,S.Africa,Japan etc. It looks a restorable car and might even have the correct original engine. Many of the itmes on the car even the wheels are date stamped. Front and rear lids, doors, gas tank all have dates. The chassis number is under the front lid under the rubber mat if its still there. Also a plate gives info by the side of the gas tank. If you open the passenger door ( in your case) you should see 3 small indentification plates one gives the chassis number the other the paint coding. Engine numbers can be found on the engine crankcases the same with the gearbox.

If you post these numbers, we can give you a good idea if they appear correct. Many good books are available to give you information.

Looks most interesting, T2 cars are super!! Looks like the engine is a normal 60 hp, can't quite see the rev band on the Tacho.

Keep posting!!

Roy

Comment

Mike,

Sorry finger trouble, there are only 2 small identification plates when you open the passenger door and look on the hinge plate.

Name:	porsche760pix.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	5269

Roy

Comment

Thanks Roy!
                  The engine is not original, it is a '62 normal.
                  Otherwise, the car is mostly original, with minimal rust.
                  It was cheaply painted after a collision by previous owner.
                  I would love to find out what was it's original home country, judging by the condition I am guessing it was a dry place....
                  vin 103872
                  Mike

Comment

Mike,

Your 58 T2 might have come from South Africa. I have seen several that came over here a few years ago. They were very good underneath. I guess that it depends when it actually came across to California. (I presume from your user name you are based there!) A number of US service men bought 356 cars in europe during their time there and had them sent home. Of course most were LHD but its possible an American bought it possibly almost new in the UK and sent it home before the dreaded rust took hold. ( I realise not all parts of California will hold back rust on 356 cars though.)
                    Over here a really good 356 guy Mike Smith is recording all known RHD 356 cars with help from two others. A book will be forthcoming about these RHD cars I think within a year. He knows already where they all went to from the factory. I will pass your chassis number 103872 on to him.

I really wish you all the best getting the car mobile. If the structure is good thats a perfect start.

Roy

Comment

Mike,

I have received a mail from Mike Smith about your chassis number 103872. It seems possible the car was delivered to Hanover in Germany for Blaupunkt. He is still on this but its possible I think if Blaupunkt had someone working for them in say S.Africa they might have ordered the car and had it delivered. Who knows, but I did foward Mike those photos which show to me the car was always RHD.

Roy

Comment

Roy,
                        Previous owner's niece seems to think it was purchased in Europe and shipped back. I am not sure that adds up because he was not in the service, and cannot figure why he would get a RHD if he had the choice. Nothing wrong with one of course!
                        Mike

Comment

I agree with you Mike, to buy RHD and ship it to a LHD country does not really add up. The history though makes your car interesting or it does for me. I have spent much time on tracing back my family in time. Got to the middle 1700's on both my parents, but then it gets more difficult. The same with old car history.)

Roy

Comment

what a great find. RHD in the USA.. I had that with a 912 once. Bournemouth Car local to me ended up in Oakland Ca.

It sold for strong money in the end still in the USA Ca.

I am none too fussed about RHD LHD both the same to me.. I guess handy to be RHD in the UK but certainly not a deal breaker for me. Roy's is a RHD and very nice to. Fred will be pleased
                            A few old Porsches no one wanted and some big old kites for water work.

Comment

Hi Surfer,

Just noticed your post advising you have joined us. Welcome! The person who can tell exactly why he started it is Justin Rio. You no doubt have read his resto stories on the $75- Carrera on the Registry. Now you can get the full catch up on this Forum's restoration pages. As you have an 'A' I reckon the bodywork pages will be just what you need to see.

I presume your 'surfer' user name is because you are making use of the man made surfer barrier at Bournmouth? I hope its working okay now. I live by the sea myself not far from Bognor Regis.

Looking forward to hearing more on your exploits into getting that 'A' on the road. You are correct 12 years ago they were a lot cheaper than today. Very hard now finding the right one for sensible money.

Cheers

Roy

Comment

Working...
                              X