Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Switzerland

Hello Porsche friends
    Since ever I had to do with Porsche's. So my father used to own many different Porsche's from 356, 904, 914-6, 911's. We spent many hours in the garage and worked on our cars.
    My 356 A Carrera GT was bought by my father in the 70's and I own it now for more than 20 years.

Currently I have to do some major things on my car and hope to find here some interesting news for me.

Thomas

Thomas,

Welcome along. For 35 years I worked with a number of Swiss companies selling their machine tools over here in the UK. Been retired now over ten years but back in the very early 70's, was involved with Studer in Thun. I already had my 356A in my garage for 3 years and rarely at that time, saw another one on the road near me. So it was a surprise, when on one of the first visits to Switzerland, a 356A Carrera was parked every day near the hotel in Thun I was staying at. Seemed to used as a daily driver in 1972.!!

I then found the Beutler bodyshop that built some of the first 356 cars just along the lake of Thun and the Luzern Travel museum with a very early 356 on show there then. Over the next 34 years saw also, so many more.

Nice to hear your story, I wonder if that Carrera was your Fathers!! I do remember it was silver! and I liked it.!!

Roy

Comment

Hi Roy

Nice to hear from you.
      I think it wasn't this Carrera. My father bought it in 74 and at this time it was painted red.
      In 75 it got a silver painting.

Thomas

Comment

Hello Thomas,

Nice to have you here. What is the Chassis number of your 356A Carrera?

Michael

Comment

Hi Michael

The Chassis number is 103972. Do you have also one according to you your Aliasname?

Thomas

Comment

Hi Thomas .. yes I have two 1957 steel bodied Carrera GT coupes. Yours appears to be an Alu paneled 1958 model .. correct? Oil coolers up front as well?

Michael Doyle

Comment

Thomas, Thank you for joining us here and Welcome! Sounds like an incredible car! You are in luck as Michael is a historical expert on the subject of Carrera GT's. If you're looking for an authentic or a 100% accurate GT interior Micheal is going to be the man to speak with. Best of luck with this car's restoration and please think about a build post on it in the project section. We'd all like to see how your getting on with it.

Welcome once again!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Hi All

Thanks for the warm welcome!
                Yes it's true it is an Alu paneled GT with plexi glasses.
                Originally there were no oil coolers due to the 692/0 engine with roller crankshaft.
                Unfortunately I don't have the right engine. The last 40 years there was a SC engine in. Now I'm working on a 587 engine.

Thomas

Comment

Comment

Michael
                    To get a 692/0 engine would be nice and for sure I would appreciate it. But honestly I already have this 587 engine and for the moment my target is to get it run in my GT. Later on if I find someone to make an exchange deal, why not.
                    Anyway first step is to finish the restauration as close as possible to the original.
                    Thomas

Comment

Comment

Hi Michael

As I already mentioned. This car is in my family for more than 40 years. 20 years now in my personal possession. I really love this car and don't wanna sell it. So the market value is not an important part for me.

But for sure it would make sense to have the right motor. I'm going to write you directly.

Thomas

Comment

Thomas,
                          Personally, I would be thrilled to see pictures of the car and the process of it's restoration. I have not had a 4-cam for many years myself, but am finishing a 4-cam '56 Speedster and a '63 C-2 Coupe and as Michael has said, more and more is coming to light about these special 356s and I am learning more and more through people like you, Michael and Steve Heinrichs' fantastic book.
                          He is very missed!
                          Welcome aboard Justin's great site!
                          -Bruce Baker

Comment

Hi Bruce

Wow you have nice 2 cars! Congratulation! Do you have some pictures of them?

Yes I'll open a new thread to show you some pictures of the restoration. Fortunately there was no rust. There were some bad repaired accidents I had to fix. But more informations soon...
                            Thomas

Comment

Working...
                            X