X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infected

Hello
    Dave here,totaly new on 356's
    Got overly inspired by Justin's build post.
    Went looking for a A and found one!
    To be honest did not know where to look for exactly,but brought it home anyway.
    It's very glossy,but a magnet will not stick much.
    For sure i will need all the advise i can get
    Thx!
    [attachment:1]image.jpeg[/attachment]

Dave

Welcome, start with the car location, chassis number, engine number and more photos so we can figure out what you have

John Brooks
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks for join us here and welcome! Congratulations on your new purchase, I hope you won't find too many bad surprises under all that shiny paint but hope does spring eternal. I also wanted to say thank you for all the really nice words about my project coupe and I'm honored that it inspired you to jump into the 356 world after all these years with the 911. I look forward to your future posts about this car. I see your photo didn't load. The file size might be too big but please try again; we'll get it figured out. Welcome once again and best of luck with your new car!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks John and Justin
        Realy happy to have found this forum.
        Still in doubt if i should go all the way whit this project or stay more along the original spec.
        Would like to go to swb rear,Polo engine,5 speed 901etc,but the knowledge is very hard to find regarding this.
        Second option would be type 4 whit less modifications.
        Will move this to the build section and see where it ends.
        Should be a fun project atmost.
        Tried to upload photos from my ipad,but that did not work.
        I will try monday from a computer wich may be the reason.
        Regards Dave
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	89764

Name:	image_2017-07-08.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	89765

Comment

"Would like to go to swb rear, Polo engine,5 speed 901etc,but the knowledge is very hard to find regarding this".
          I hate to see that, but...
          Rod or Gary Emory at Part Obsolete have done that several times. Rod is in Burbank, Ca and Gary is in McMinville Or. Its expensive.

where is the car?

John Brooks

Comment

Looks like a nice car, 1958 or 1959 T2 then; like the color too. Are your plans to strip this down to nothing again or just transplant the drivetrain of your choice? I'd be interested in seeing the floors.
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Emory i would like to visit,but i am on the othere side of the world Amsterdam
              Yes the car looks nice on photo,but the shell carries a lot of bondo.
              It looks like the whole rear end was changed in the past,badly
              I will have this shell water cleaned and see what we have,i think the roof will show some surprises also.

Name:	image_2017-07-09.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	89784

Here a sample of the water cleaning i had done on a 930 shell

Name:	image_2017-07-09-2.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	89785

Comment

Yes welcome along, would also like to see some more photos. That shine up rear light assembly looks at a tilted angle. Was it modified or was the back end bodywork modified?

Just my point of view the return might prove better in the future if its stock. But of course if you got it at a good price and it was without an engine then it makes the choice less daunting.
                Does it have a 356 engine?

Either way really hope you have some fun with it and the body is in good condition. If the underneath looks sound then that might be the case. Best of luck for the future.

Roy

Comment

There was a guy in Austria several years ago who had done the 912 suspension conversion. I have forgotten the company name, but they specialized in doing T-5 restorations back to factory original. They were doing around 12-15 cars a year. With the occasional 901 rear suspension up grade.

Gary might sell you the suspension adapters as a kit and you can weld them on there. http://www.partsobsolete.com/

Comment

Since you are on this side of pond might be worth chatting with Ian Clark at WPS here in the uk

http://wolfsburg.azurewebsites.net/

He can build you a super 616 or a VW engine but that must be some great engine builders near you too?

Comment

Thank you so much for all the input,really appreciated!
                      I must say the Justin build inspired me to get this 58'chassis.
                      I like original restorations a lot,but there is not much that came whit this roller.
                      There is a blank engine case and some lose parts,so i rather stick to the first plan.
                      And i am in te middle of a restoration to original and would like to spend time on something new
                      http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/937227-adventures-76-930-restoration.html

Comment

If the underside of that roof is any indication you're in for at least one or two big Surprises. That high pressure water system does a fantastic job! Look forward to seeing what you've got under that stone grey paint. I looked at your 930 Turbo restoration; Beautiful and nicely detailed build you're doing on it!
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Dave,

I can see now why you won't be going original. It will be interesting to see how you get on with this. Hope we will get some instalments on how it progresses. I don't think you will get bored doing this job!

Roy

Comment

I'd be a little worried about a 'shine down" rear light shining up and what that could foretell of the other work underneath the shine...jus' sayin'.

A 915 in an A is not easy without a older torsion bar tube to replace the 356 version or to glean the changes with the later mounts when the 356 mounts are trimmed off. It handles the suspension and the trans/engine mounting and rear brackets can be fabricated the appropriate points, but shock mounting and other lesser details make it vexing, at best. It is nice to have a 912 donor chassis and I'll try to post some shots of a car which was to get a Polo motor but wound up with a nice Massive IV that used the whole lower section of a 912 rear for a clean result.

My '58 is a Stone gray model but with just a late SC engine and trans plus C disc brakes...enough "customizing" for my own needs!
                            Good luck with whatever you decide.
                            Bruce

Comment

Spend yesterday getting the chassis ready for cleaning.
                              The water cleaning is shelved,there is just to much bondo everywhere.
                              This proces dos not take away heavy bondo/rust,so we going to use a combination of glas and soda.
                              The roof is worrying me the most,so when i knew of a T2 roof for sale close by i bought as back up.

Name:	image.png
Views:	94
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	90512

Found a swb torsion am rear traling arms.

[attachment:4]image.png[/attachment]

Took a long travel yesterday to vist a seller for a engine.
                              Type 4 2.8
                              But do not realy know which way to go.
                              First idea was a Polo,but no availability the first 6 months.
                              Second this type 4,which my friends call a VW motor..what gave me doubts that the current owner told me the engine was running a high temp and needed a oilcooler up front
                              Third i was thinking a Hoit 2100,but does that make sence whit the SWB rear setup?

Type 4 2.8

Name:	image_2017-08-06.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	90513

Comment

Working...
                              X