Porsche 550 replica reshaping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche 550 replica reshaping

Just wanted say hi and introduce my project. Its an early beck which i am shortening 6cm to the correct wheel base and reshaping to look more "period correct". I will be removing this 6cm from the area where the door ends and the dash begins. I will be doing a lot of the work my self but will also be using many fantastic parts that I have collected. Ric at rusty tubs did an amazing job of the rear bonnet which I will be installing, Ingo at alloy cars did the shifter box, firewall, pedals, lock set, gas tank, seats, cross bar. I think this is going to be a really interesting process and a real learning experience for me. Looking forward to any input and advice. I will post photos as I go along starting with a these two of the front end reshape.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	forum2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	52036

Name:	newforum550.JPG
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	52037
    I still need to refine the drivers side before I make the mold and relay the glass. But I think its getting better already. I am going to see if it is possible to make a "big body spyder" a "correct looking spyder". Its my hope that you guys tell me if I am off the tracks anywhere in terms of shape also hope to help others who wish to make changes to there spyders.

Hi Sean,

Thank you for joining us and welcome! You're our very first replica project and am looking forward to watching you progress with the conversion. Ric has a guy here in town who is also interested in retro fitting one his more accurate clamshells to his Beck so I might be helping him with that at some point. I'll be happy to offer advice when I can but I think Andrew Hosking will be the one to point out the correct details concerning the 550. Anyway, thanks for posting this and welcome once again! Justin

BTW: be sure to hit the "insert button" on each of your photos attachments so they will display large. Place the curser where you want the photo to be displayed and hit "insert". You can see how I added yours into your original post. Also Captcha code gone after your 5th entry.
    Justin Rio

Comment

Labor of Love.
      This will be an eye opening process. Wheelbase, width and the whole 'digitized' body has long been overdue for more than a facelift. Front end already looks amazing. Lets see the before shot!

Beer and popcorn in hand.
      We BUY $ell Trade any NOS green Porsche metal!
      Call toll free today.
      877-356-8827

Comment

Its going to be a really interesting change. Here are some more photos. Of the final shape I am going with.

Name:	ric1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	52883

Name:	ricafter.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	52884

Name:	ricbefor.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	52885

Name:	ric1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	52883

Comment

Thanks Sean! Ric, told me once that Beck had made his cars 3-4 inches wider and several inches longer (can't remember the exact dimensions) for copyright purposes. Will you be both narrowing and shortening the body to original specs?
          Justin Rio

Comment

The size of the replicas is an odd thing to try and figure out. Please please everyone here that knows the original cars please correct me if I am off on this as I am about to cut my car . Here are my thoughts:

The original car from the mid point of the drivers side head light to the mid point of the passenger side head light is 1150mm or 45" this is the same as my replica and I suspect the vast majority of "big body" replica's.

However the rear is wider on the replica and I would guess as much as 2" wider or slightly more as with variance within the original cars. This 2" I am saying is between the mid point of the rear lights. So what I am saying is the original is torpedo shaped and the replica is box shaped at the back. The original is 40mm narrower in track at rear (1290mm front 1250mm back) then it really tapers in behind the rear wheels. The rusty tubs rear correction has done a great job of replicating the taper.

The most major difference.... is the wheel base 85" replica to 83" original. To correct this I have sourced a 356a front beam from Ric which I intent to transplant in place of the ball joint beam in the correct position 2" and change towards the back. I will then take this same amount of space out of the body here:
            http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/sean550356/media/SPYDER%20RESHAPING/IMG_5550POST_zpsce3b087c.jpg.html?sort=6&o=10

I think this was added for leg room to the replicas and I am sure for other reasons as well.

Comment

Working...
            X