Type 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type 550

Forums like this are dangerous when you haven't posted here before - because once you start...

Here is my baby

Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

One of the nicest I've seen in a long time. The rear end looks really good. Not the typical Platinum Spyder rear clam shell. Really helps the illusion with the better dimensions you have there.
    We BUY $ell Trade any NOS green Porsche metal!
    Call toll free today.
    877-356-8827

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for posting this incredible recreation! I see you have spared no expense; right down to the authentic looking guages. More pictures and details please! All porsche drivetrain, brakes etc? Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

The car is very much a work in progress. The more I learn about the originals the more things I see I need to fix up. I am just about to line the interior with aluminium panels, plus a number of other cosmetic things. I have recently had a 356 SC engine installed. I need to get the carbies and air cleaners replaced as they are not working optimally. Here are some other shots of it...

Comment

Great additional shots Andrew! I really like your parking spot; looks like its right there on pit row. The detials on this car are really nice. Congratulations on rounding up that Autopulse fuel pump unit. Buying the pumps are one thing but getting your hands on the two manifolds to run them in tandem is the trickiest part. Your seats look spot-on, sort of thin padded and more square shaped. They don't look like speedster seats. If you get yourself a really nice pair dual throat solexs or webers that SC motor will wake right up! Do you have any real spyder specific parts on your car? Justin

BTW: like your avatar photo.
          Justin Rio

Comment

You are right - the manifolds are always hard to get your hands on. I am currently working with a guy to make faux manifolds, which should be ready in a few weeks. Like the car, most of the parts are replica too

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Totally awesome,just the way it should be done.
              I have wanted a Spyder since the day Chuck Beck took me for a spin in his personal car and scared the hell out of me. Would have been maybe 1989. probably still to this day one of the quickest cars I have been in.(or at least it seemed quick as we were fish tailing through traffic on the freeway)

How did you get your car engineered/registered etc. Last time I tried to bring one in it seemed almost impossible so I gave up!

Jason

Comment

Jason,

they are basically impossible to register these days. I bought mine registered, but VicRoads thought otherwise and after a 2 year paper war with them, they won - it is currently on club plates

Comment

Is it possible then if someone repaves the way to get them registered that new kits can be marketed again for the street?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9527.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	1960
                  Call toll free today.
                  877-356-8827

Comment

A company tried that here a couple of years ago bringing in Becks, fitting Subaru engines etc. The problem is compliance and in the end they looked like a Mieta (MX5). That was the main problem with mine - they would not allow an air cooled engine

They did not end up selling many as they were too expensive to get on the road

http://www.caradvice.com.au/20292/550-spyder-by-chamonix-first-steer/

Comment

They really do take on another dynamic when fitted with Subie parts. Early this Spring we commissioned an EE20 Turbo diesel stand alone system in the UK. Its like ice cream, there is a a flavor for everyone. The old recipe of keeping it simple works best.
                      Chuck came by this spring and bought one of the Chamonix 550 bodies I had in stock. I don't keep up with Subie trends, but the hint of a Boxter powered version came up when I asked WTH he was going to do with it. The evolution continues.
                      What about rebodying a registered buggy or older kit car and using that as an identity for a new 550?
                      Call toll free today.
                      877-356-8827

Comment

Unfortunately it is not that easy.

Here is my friend's 550 with a WRX STI engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMZASPFyHKk

Comment

Man, that thing is as fast as it sounds mean! Are tempted to put this motor in your car Andrew?
                          Justin Rio

Comment

I have been in it and it scares the shit out of me - I have never experienced g-forces like that before

I am a purist - it needs to be air cooled!

Comment

I have heard about many battles with sate rego. offices. Seems a lot of replica cars had been imported by way of a little loop hole in the vehicle import scheme.

Many replica cars like 550's, Speedsters, Hot rods , Shelby Cobras,Daytonas etc. etc. were imported as they were titled in the U.S.A.

You would know this Ric, Is it possible to get a title on a recently manufactured kit car as the year of the vehicle it has replicated. say in this case a new plastic Spyder with "1955 Porsche" on the title?

So people were bringing in new cars as old cars on the import doccuments allowing them to present them at rego. bypassing all of the compliance/ adr rules, emission rules , left hand drive rulets etc. etc.

The main thing that annoys me about all of this is.... I missed out.
                              Would be easier now to get a real Spyder. Just gotta wait till the price drops!!!

At least you still have club rego. Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X