My 'Spartan Outlaw' build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 'Spartan Outlaw' build

I thought I would share some photos and comments etc of my build as it goes along.

The build started last summer so the photos are now retrospective...

The car is a 356a 1957 coupe from speedster clinic in the UK (www.speedsterclinic.com)

I decided to go the Outlaw route as I don't really consider myself a purist. Ultimately its a replica so I felt it was okay to put my own stamp on it.

Originally I had planned on creating it as a more race car type coupe but as time has gone on I now want it to be more of a daily driver.

In case anyone wonders why its called a Spartan Outlaw, its because my business is named Spartan and it seemed quite appropriate for the car!

It all started with a 1968 beetle.....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0000.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	85302

Name:	0001.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	85303

Name:	0002.JPG
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	85304

Name:	0003.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	85305

Name:	0004.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	85306

Name:	0005.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	85307

Name:	0006.JPG
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	85308

Name:	0007.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	85309

Name:	0008.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	85310

Speedster Clinic do the following:

New CNC folded and laser cut floor pans
    CAD designed and laser cut firewall
    CAD designed CNC folded sill sections
    Double box outer sill for rigidity
    Integral super heating system and screen de-misters
    Rear body mount and rear frame
    New Seat belt mounts
    Integral seat mounts
    Blasted, Powder coated in Zinc and then Satin Black

From their own website - saves me explaining what they do:

'We start with a beetle donor floor pan, remove the standard floors and replace the frame-head with a Tubular Adjustable Frame head .

We then add all new floor sections, outer sub chassis and fixed one-piece CAD designed bulkhead, this is then welded into an all new box section outer chassis added to this are laser cut CNC bent sill sections that make for a super stiff chassis. Our completed chassis includes, seat belt mounts, Speedster Clinic super heating, and integral seat mounts.

There are many advantages to the Speedster Clinic chassis, this is down to the design and construction, our super stuff chassis maximizes space this then caters for the tallest drivers in complete comfort.

With the short wheelbase of a speedster (300mm shorter than standard Beetle) We build integral seat base mounts that are moved back and more centrally mounted compared to those on a traditional shortened VW chassis, this, combined with our all new floors and outer sills make for much stiffer chassis. Our increased cabin size and safer stronger chassis make for a more enhanced driving experience.'

The chassis and body are all bonded together and I bought it like that.

Body being made:

Name:	0009.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	85311

Name:	0010.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	85312

Name:	0011.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	85313

Body and chassis with suspension etc going on.... (the wheels are not mine and are temporary)

Name:	0013.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	85314

Name:	0014.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	85315

Name:	0015.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	85316

Name:	0016.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	85317

Name:	0017.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	85318

Name:	0018.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	85319

Name:	0019.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	85320

Name:	0020.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	85321

Name:	0021.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	85322

Roll cage hand made by Gary at Speedster Clinic and all powder coated.....

Name:	0022.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	85323

More to follow shortly, just need to find the photos!

Name:	0026.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	85353

Name:	0024.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	85354

I love the cars built by Rod Emory and particularly the black special that they did. I wanted the engine air vents down the side. Speedster Clinic produce a version of these but they are fixed in and I wanted them hinged with locks as per the Emory car so these have been added (the holes cut and offered up but not fully fitted yet as we need to locate some decent hinges.

Name:	0027.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	85352

Name:	0028.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	85355

Name:	0029.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	85356

Name:	0030.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	85357

Name:	0031.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	85358
    The car on the right has the fibreglassed in version.

Comment

I'm digging this build aleady. I've been shopping and researching for a body for over a year now and this one so far looks best to me. Can you give me an idea on price? Also, I want to thank the people running this board for including guys like myself who love the looks of classic Porsches but missed the boat as the prices of original cars have moved well beyond reach. Coming from the VW world my friends and I have always looked at Porsche owners as snobs but this site is beginning to change my opinion. Keep the updates coming as I for one will be watching with interest.
      Sonny

Comment

Comment

Continuing the build......

Im currently as per my other post sorting out getting a sunroof fitted which is fairly problematical but hopefully we will get it done right. (ill keep posting about that in the other post).

After that it will be time for a paint spray. This has been the hardest thing to decide on as I always planned on having something a bit different to the usual colours. I checked to see what colours were available in 1957 and the only one that caught my eye was the Orange. So I decided that was the colour for me. I just didn't like the flat original orange that Porsche produced. I have spent almost 8 months flip flopping around until I saw one of the Singer Porsche cars. I googled like crazy trying to find out what colour it was and finally concluded it didn't exist and was created by Singer, which made sense as their car was worth $600,000.

I really loved it so I emailed Rob at Singer Vehicle Design and cheekily asked him what the colour was. Amazingly he did reply and gave me a good indication on what would need to be mixed up to produce it.

Im sure the colour is definitely not to everyones taste as its pretty much in your face so Ill be interested to see what everyone thinks. My friends are completely divided. So its orange with yellowish stripes.

Heres a picture of the Singer car

Name:	IMG_8223.PNG
Views:	137
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	85461

Comment

Chris,

That is a great build report you have done. I like the look very much of your car, to me its look is everything. I like the fact of course its RHD too

I think the car will stand out in that orange and why not, it will suit the shape and be in keeping with your idea's. These days most driving done over here is not that fast and the most important aspect is feeling happy in the drivers seat. Any 356 metal or plastic will look great if you take time on the finish, and its a fun car, and you will have all that at a very realistic cost, and not having to spend years doing a rebuild of an original. Everything will be done by you, and you will know all about it from start to finish.

In 1969 I remember an early 356A coupe that used to pass me on the way to work most mornings. It was factory orange, Mine was and still is Meissen blue. We used to wave to each other every time we passed by for about 6 months. Then maybe he moved, never met him, but I really liked the orange colour, in a queue of cars his stood out!!

Well done indeed.

Roy

Comment

Thank you for the kind comments. I'll keep posting as the build comes along.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your build Chris! Looks like a really nice body. The sub-frame is slick and I like the Fuch alloys and the 550A/RSK style trap-doors on the rear quarters too. Looking forward to your updates.
                Keep up the great work!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                X