Palms to Pines with 356 Club of Southern Californi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palms to Pines with 356 Club of Southern Californi

Rosemary and I spent this weekend on our first Palms to Pines tour with the 356 Club of Southern California, a local 356 club with no Registry affiliation although there are many joint members. The weekend was put together by Mike and Jayne Goldberg - MANY THANKS!!

The previous weekend here was just plain hot. So, naturally, we left Malibu after some very light rain the day before with clear skies and Santa Ana winds. Before we had driven many miles east toward Palm Springs, our destination, we faced intermittent and progressively heavier rain the rest of the 2 1/2 hour journey. There may have been a caravan from Orange County but we knew of none from our area.

We cruised Palm Springs for an hour or two and then took a nap at the hotel. The Goldbergs hosted a meet and greet/registration assembly in their suite at the hotel. We retired early.

Saturday was still quite overcast and threatening. We arose quite a bit earlier than most and took a walk and then drove to the north end of town where Rosemary took some pictures of the just snow-covered Mt. San Gorgonio, guarding the north flank of the "slot" or pass into Palm Springs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0256.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	31033

Name:	IMG_0262.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	31034

We then gathered in the parking lot with about 29 other 356s and a couple of alternative vehicles for the drive over the mountains to Idyllwild, a mountain community - hence the pines.

This first shot is in the hotel parking lot with Rosemary for some reason tolerating my presence in my brand new shirt - thanks Stephen Szabo for the design.

Name:	IMG_0263.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	31035

At the base of the mountain we re-grouped adjacent to a school before heading south on Highway 243. Fortunately no rain, but it looked threatening.

Name:	IMG_0268.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	31036
    The lovely lady in the purplish top facing the camera next to the Dark Blue C coupe is Rosemary. That is the correct name for the color and we have the original invoice to prove it. I like the woman better but it is a nice car.

I just love the color of this car

Name:	IMG_0272.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	31037

By the time we got to Idyllwild it was starting to clear but it was pretty clear and everyone headed to lunch. Fortunately the post-lunch delay for "shopping" was brief. This photo is of the town statue carved of wood depicting a variety of wildlife. In the background is Tahquitz Rock (I think) just clearing.

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	31038

After departing Idyllwild we headed back toward palms. At "Vista Point" the parking lot was littered with Porsches.

Name:	IMG_0288.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	31039

Pete McNulty kindly shot another photo of a rose (Rosemary) with her thorn, overlooking the Coachella Valley.

Name:	IMG_0292.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	31040

A few miles from the viewpoint stop we all headed to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ron Harris who treated us to puu puus and shared their spectacularly beautiful desert home with us. We snacked just enough that soup sufficed for a later "dinner."

Naturally, we awoke to a spectacularly beautiful day and had a pleasant 2 1/2 or so hour drive home all the way across small portions of Riverside and San Bernardino Counties and all of Los Angeles County in time to enjoy a beautiful day at the beach. We brined the turkey too.

Thanks to the most active 356 club in the world for putting on this event. With Rosemary's imminent retirement (I have a very flexible schedule) we hope to spend more time with these good people.
    Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Thank you for sharing Bill. Looks like a great time.
    Mic
    1959A coupe

Comment

Bill, Thank you for sharing this! Great photos and looks like it was a good time! I'm sure it was just as cold there as it was here, were you the only guy there in shorts and a T-shirt? Thanks again Bill!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

T shirt, shorts, flip flops, generally my uniform. Since I thought there might be snow on the ground in Idyllwild (there was none on the roads nor walk ways) I did wear shoes. I think everyone else wore big boy clothes - that's just not my style. Rosemary calls me Nanook of the North.
        Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

LOL! You remind me of a buddy from Hawaii I used to have; shorts and flip-flops no matter how cold it got... A photo of you in shorts and slippers in the snow would be priceless! maybe next year. Thanks again Bill!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

That's it. We've got a photo from a mountaineering trip many years ago depicting the undersigned leaping, buck naked - that's right, barefoot, from a snow bank into a small pond that still had some ice in it. Back when I was young and stupid. I'm no longer young.
            Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X