Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Hello all,

I am new at this forum and a happy owner of the Carrera book. Since my aim is also to collect a set of "perfect" (not that such a thing exists) race results, including car ID's (Chassisnumber/VIN), I am studying this book at the moment, and the discussions at this forum help me to get closer to that perfection.

My question now is, would it be possible to publish the Errata Sheet (latest complete version) at the same location as the unidentified cars for download? That would make it easier to download, print and keep it with the book.

Thank you very much.

Comment

• Dear Henk,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the site. I think you will find it entertaining and informative. There is a great amount of information on the site.

I'm glad you have the book. There is more there than the race lists but, for sure, it has drawn the most attention here. Even though there have been a few arguments, most have been resolved and we are grateful for all of the help. The race lists in the book are the first ever attempt to bring all this information available and publish it.

We did send out errata and additions lists early on (we know now of 62 additional races) but decided to stop as we focused on what to do eventually to get closer to your goal about the perfect list and our goals as well which are similar.

Among other things we are working on about 16,000 races of 356 cars---4-cam and regular. The success rate as to getting chassis numbers is very difficult, especially for the pushrod cars.

While we are not planning on sending out more errata lists at this time....stand by. Whatever we do will be announced here first.

Welcome!!

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi Henk - you seem to be on the same quest as me and many others!

The Carrera Book is an amazing resource and a great base for checking results. Like anything undertaken like this, there will be errors as it would be impossible to be completely accurate on a first attempt. Many knowledgeable people on this site have contributed both results and supporting images and documentation to help the process and I think it is only fair that an updated errata sheet is posted here. I have well in excess of 100 new discrepancies that I have not posted and I do not see any benefit to do so if we will not be updated with corrections the authors have agreed too.

So how about it Steve?
          Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Andrew,

Respectfully, this is a difficult problem in part because although the book is the first serious attempt to publish a comprehensive race list for all to see (here is the respectfully part), you have never published a full list and sit back as a critic with your cards not showing. While you have brought to light a number of issues which we have dealt with (and mostly agreeing with you)...you are making this more like a game.

We do not need to do that. Here's what I would suggest: Bring forward all the discrepancies you have. We'll go through them and agree or not. Then, we will post here a full errata list.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• OK, I will take up the challenge. Not that I have many important corrections to make, but quite some additions. Probably lacking definite sources as I do not always keep track of them. It will take quite some time before I have gone through all the data. First, I will have to restart what I have done, because I haven't kept track yet of the discrepancies.

Regards,

Henk Vasmel

Comment

• Henk,

This is great!!

Now we await Andrew's participation.

Regards,

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Exceptional attitudes displayed here. Well done gentlemen, thank you and thanks to Justin once again for providing this venue.
                  Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• I need to treat this as a 'game' Steve, otherwise I would have to bill you for the time spent to review your book. It is hard to know where we are with errata sheet as there has been a number of discrepancies raised but no response whether they were seen or not.

I am currently holidaying on an island off the coast of Thailand and don't have all my resources at my fingertips but here is one example I found

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	31
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	71878
                    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Thank you for joining with us here Henk and Welcome! Its my pleasure Jack and its me who owes all you guys a big thank you for making this site such a great place to both visit and to learn a thing or two. Between all the discussions with Steve, Vietta and Andrew I never knew so much about the Spyder history. This has also shed a small light on just what a massive undertaking this book actually was and has given me such an immense respect for the effort involved with publishing it.
                      Looking forward to your updates.
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Andrew,

Despite the cute boardcode, I find your opening comment not the least helpful.

The question is simple---I have suggested that you advise the discrepancies you note, we will evaluate them and comment as to agreement or not. Once that is done, we'll publish here a full version of the errata list.

Are you in agreement or not?

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Uh, I hope I didn't speak to soon, folks.
                          Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Lawsuit coming?

Comment

• Only ONE person posting here has actually researched and written the most comprehensive book on the history of four cam Porsches, a book published and distributed by Porsche AG, the manufacturer of these cars. Anyone else with information that contradicts that research should produce that information with documentation to prove his point without trying to impugn the intent or integrity of the book's authors, that is if they are really interested in contributing to the accuracy of this large body of information. Cheap shots from the peanut gallery add nothing to the discussion IMHO.
                              Cheers,
                              Joel

Comment

• Guys,

In an effort to continue to create the definitive race list for the purpose built cars, we are adding later today a link on the Big Lake Media site to show races where we have not been able to identify the chassis number. This list includes all purpose built cars, not only the 550s and 550As.

Check out: biglakemedia.com
                                a little later today.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X