Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr.Steve Heinrichs: In Memorial

In Memorial

The old car world and 356 community in particular, has lost a vital force of enthusiasm and support.

Mr.Heinrichs has passed from this mortal coil in an untimely and unfortunate manner, demonstrating once again that death knows no respect for justice nor reward for a life well lived.

The fact that he exhausted the last of his vitality in his battle against illness in valiant service to the Members of the 356 Registry, is a testament to his fortitude and his commitment to a sense of right and wrong that reflected well of a sterling character.

Those of us who understood and rallied behind his attempt, at no small personal cost, to bring civility and the rule of law to an enthusiast organization whose core purpose had long been perverted by a scofflaw elitist Ruling Circle, he was a beacon of right valiantly trying to bring light to a small and very dark corner of weakness and greedy self interest, for the sake of principle alone.

Sadly, the recipients of the rewards of his dedication were then, and remain, too ignorant and/or dishonorable to appreciate his sacrifices in their name, choosing instead to mock and revile his attempt to free them from the yoke of petty tyranny.

This is, by any right-thinking point of view, the very definition of selfless sacrifice, an honorable last act that anyone could well be proud of.
    ----------
    Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Those who spent so much time, and energy defending the indefensible are the antithesis of Steve who was honest, thoughtful, intelligent, and committed to being a truly decent human being. He will be missed. Stephen, how appropriate that your post is number 356...

Comment

Steve was a great guy, always willing to help. When I came across a car that made no sense he jumped right in guiding me through the old data to figure out how it ended up in the configuration it's in. Responded to my e-mail and took my calls in spite of his health problems.

The entire community is yet to realize what we have lost. RIP Steve, in knowing you were right
      Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

One of Steve's strongest interests was in raising awareness and funds for cancer research, his Porsche Race Car Classic event was put on for that purpose. Anyone wishing to honor his memory can donate to that cause and I would further suggest that those 356 Registry subscribers who have had enough of the trustee's
        behavior, donate their next, and all future subscription fees to that cause rather than to a magazine posing as a car club.

Comment

Steve:

I remain honored that you thought of me as a friend. I view as a great and courageous man who well-deserved a longer life and also well-deserved all you accomplished in your life.

I will miss you greatly as I am sure your family does. You were and are a winner.

Bill
          Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

Well said, Bill....

Mike
            Mike
            '63 B coupe

Comment

Very sad news of Steve's passing. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person but I did speak with him a couple of times on the phone. He was very pleasant and more than willing to help and offer suggestions as to the dilemma I was facing at that time. (regarding this site) He really didn't know me; I was just another Porsche gearhead/dreamer. I'll always remember him for that. Rest in Peace Steve and thank you.
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=35164
                Very sad news of Steve's passing. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person but I did speak with him a couple of times on the phone. He was very pleasant and more than willing to help and offer suggestions as to the dilemma I was facing at that time. (regarding this site) He really didn't know me; I was just another Porsche gearhead/dreamer. I'll always remember him for that. Rest in Peace Steve and thank you.
                Justin

Justin:

Steve truly appreciated your efforts with your site and the fundamental decency with which you conducted yourself and this forum. We are all the richer for knowing Steve and for your kindness in permitting us to linger here.
                Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

I will post another thought about Steve: he reinforced in me a belief that being a gentleman is as important as anything can be in life.

In this brief time we have to develop that facet in our lives from awareness of what that means until our own end, we need to treat others as we expect to be treated, to share what we know and help others when we can.....and enjoy friendships based on mutual interests.

Steve was a very positive person and thus a great example to me in the few years I had to know him. I am happy that I was able to express these feelings to him directly.

He was one of those rare people that just makes another person feel good about them in a very short time with no 'airs'.....just honest, straight-up ease of communication and warmth, Steve expecting nothing more than that in return.

Steve will be easily remembered if you knew him. You will be reminded by people unlike him...which seem to be in the majority in today's society...and know that Steve was "special." We will also have his deeds and publications as reminders.

I also have the reminder from Steve that being his age means I have much to do to be at all like him before I can earn the sincerest messages of "RIP" for myself, as shown here to him.

He appreciated that I did not share his religious convictions but that I offered him my version of prayers....positive thoughts and good luck while he was fighting against very long odds for a very long time with his cancer. Call it what you will, it was a daily ritual for me.

Throughout it all, he was a positive influence on his friends. Never mentioning his problems unless asked, he was a rock.

I have met only a handful of men like Steve in my 70 years, so he will be remembered and in my "good thoughts" as all are, whether gone or still with us....natural examples of what "good" is and Steve was.

Rest in peace, Steve.

Bruce Baker

Comment

Bruce:

That's a moving testament to the fine man that was Steve Heinrichs. Thanks for sharing it with us.
                    Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

My condolences to his family and friends.
                      Byron

Comment

I knew Steve only a little, sorry to say. I enjoyed tremendously his 50th Anniversary Speedster Fest and Race Car Classic. Both are unforgettable- the best Porsche meets ever.

We met and said hello a few times, and he was very helpful to me with some research about Carrera 2 Cabriolets. I, and anyone with any sense, could tell instantly that he was a man of extraordinary character and generosity.

In the realm of these old cars, his contributions are unmatched. The great books he wrote are permanent memorials.

Comment

Working...
                        X