Chevys version of Made by Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevys version of Made by Hand

Here's a youtube from early 50s. About 11 minutes with back and forth factory film and car being driven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz0w47dV64M

Phil

Very interesting footage Phil, thanks for posting it! So amazing to watch those flat sheets of steel transform into the desired panel. All the jigging and related tools is also equally as mind blowing.
    Thanks again! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Well FOAMCAR,
      Since you from Michigan, as I am, you must have a back ground with GM.
      I spent the summers of 1953 and 1954 working at the Fisher Body Plant in Lansing to work my way thru college.
      In 1953 I drug doors to the line to keep them stocked. Dragging two doors a once is a heavy job for then a 125 pounder.
      In 1954 as you might remember the Ternsted Transmission Plant burned down so no summer hirng. That was the summer I helped one of the small shops in my hometown of Lake Odessa race a 1932 Ford 5 window before we switched to a 1940 full fendered coupe. We raced Hastings, Grand Rapids Speedrome, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Galesburg and the Ionia Fair week.
      his was us on the outside pole with the 1940 coupe at Ionia August 1954.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-28-1258a.StockCars5LOAutoPartsIonia1954.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	54385
      This is a small model of a '32 5 window that I found during my 2012 trip to MI. The '32 race car was painted red and also had #5 the side like the 1940 coupe did. In fact the 40 coupe ran the same 59Y block engine with a Isky 1049B short track cam, trans and rear end that the 32 did.

Name:	6-28-1258bModelof1932Ford5WindowCoupe.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	54386
      The Ionia Fair Grounds has not changed much in 60 years.
      Out of turn 4 on to the main stretch.

Name:	6-28-1257.IoniaFreeFairTrackMainStretch.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	54387

Back to Fisher Body in 1955, I hung right hand visor brackets on 1955 models, plus some rubber door striping, the right side round rubber plug the trunk cushioned on and the chrome clip that joined the rear window molding at the bottom of the rear window.
      Fun times and good money!
      I still have my phillips screw driver and awl that we used.
      Me back at Western Michigan 'College' with my 1941 Convert with a '48 Merc block, 3/4 race Dunn cam, an Smitty Glas Paks.
      BMOC!

Name:	1953My1941FordConvertibleatWMC-Dorm.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	54388
      Thanks for the memories!
      I had not seen that!
      Dick

Comment

Nice story Dick - thanks for sharing. I see #5 in the pictures. My first job at GM was at the old Ternstedt division in the door latch design group. I think the plant fire was at the instrument plant where they built instruments for WWII planes. Don't think it was ever rebuilt. I was not aware of the video. An old friend from work days emailed it to me. I had a 47 Ford coupe I used as a donor car for brakes,steering box, and other parts when I put a flathead 53 Merc in my 28 coupe. Got all done and when I turned the steering wheel for a right turn the car went left. Had to rotate the pitman arm 180 degrees, and of course then it hit the fender, or something. So I cut it shorter and arc welded it back together. Talk about turns lock to lock. But very low steering effort. Finally found a "proper" box out of a Model A racer for a better//safer solution.

Phil

Comment

Thanks for the come back Phil,
          Diff subject-ECH-You mentioned that you were parked near that yellow 'taxi cab'.
          This is us rolling into park on the field-me in the Roadster and Chris in his Speedster.

Name:	62.ChrisIArriveForMotoArtInThePark.jpg
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	54400
          Then the cars in the park.
          I think you said that you were four down from the taxi cab.
          We were in the corner by the white Speedster.

Name:	66.356sOnTheLawn.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	54401
          This is now my screen saver.
          I am the 10th car in line (red Roadster) on the dam.

Name:	69.DroneShotOnTheDam-10thCarBack.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	54402
          That was a nice thumb drive the folks sent out.
          Dick

Comment

Dick
            Our 55 coupe is 3 cars down from the taxi. 2nd red one. On the dam, we were in the same line but right in the middle where the drone took off and landed from. Right behind Dick Weiss's Carrera Speedster.

Phil

Comment

OK-Got your car on the park.
              On the dam your a little far back in that picture.
              This was me looking at the drone as it came over.

Name:	68.KillBoyDroneShot-RoadsterMeOverheadOnTheDam.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	54405
              Good weekend!
              Guess its getting 'chilly' in Alpena?
              Deer season still on?
              Dick

Comment

Thanks for sharing this stuff you guys!
                Dick, IIRC, that Isky cam pulled from nothin' to redline. The driver probably only had to shift once the whole race! I'd love to see pix of your old tools from the GM factory days. Perhaps an "Old Tool" thread would be in order. I'm sure quite a few of us have some examples that are still in regular use. I know I do.
                Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Jack,
                  I'll save your e-mail and shoot a pic when I get a chance of the tools.
                  The screw driver had the removable tip.
                  We had a J-hook on the dash board that the shift got hooked into.
                  It was 3 on the floor.
                  The car usually stayed in 2nd on the short tracks and might get shifted to 3rd out of the turns on a 1/2 mile track then back down to 2nd on the turns.
                  Gets busy on a 500 lapper!
                  Va ROOM!
                  Dick

Comment

Jack,
                    OK here is the screw driver and the awl-handle bandaged up with masking tape to hold the broken handle together.
                    Lets see if it comes thru!

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	54411

Also, this is me with the Autos International folks when I was out your way last February.

Name:	2-19-14AutosInternational.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	54412

Dick

Comment

Working...
                    X