My new volksrod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new volksrod

With my work load recently I must be crazy to buy something else but here it is. Kind of an impulse buy as I always liked these. It's a 65, originally from California until a few years ago when Bill (seller) bought it. No rust. He turned it into a fenderless bug aka Volksrod. He had it painted, not great but good enough. He has all the stock fenders, bumpers etc. to put it back if someone wanted to. The front is uncut yet & I think that will be my biggest dilemma. I really like the look of these with a 8" beam extender but then I would have to cut up the nose. It would be hard for me to cut into such a clean body but I really wouldn't want to start with a rust bucket. Mainly bought it to ????, I really don't know & teach my kids to drive a stick & let them use it. It has some neat stuff like a sunroof & rear window pop outs too. He wouldn't let the surf board go with it though.

Going to pick it up tomorrow morning. 1600 single port with straight pipes. It's loud. Luckily he does have baffles for the pipes to put in. It's been a long time since I drove a bug & I'm surprised at the lack of power & the close gears. Should be fun especially seeing my kids enjoy it.

My first chore will be to get some wide wheels & tires for the back & drop it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01648640x425.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	50982

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	50983
    Mic
    1959A coupe

Mic,

Now that is different indeed. Looks very well built indeed. For sure you never will have to look for it in a busy car park

Looks like good fun.

Roy

Comment

So after the beam extender next will be a 6 inch chop and a 4 inch section? ...lol, have fun with it Mic.

Comment

Don't know if you have looked at my Volksrod build on page two of the open topic forum. It's still sitting waiting for me to work on it. I bought some different doors for it (I didn't do the doors that are on it now)and some repair panels for when I get back to it.

Name:	6-15-2014082.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	50996

Comment

Congratulations Mic! It looks like a real clean one! Yes, if your interested in building this as a Volks-rod take a look at Frank's project: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/13-Open-Topic-Forum/5460-Building-a-Volksrod.html
          Nice job once again on that chop and channel Frank, love that new roof and body profile!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Thought these belonged here.

Name:	10455586_volksrod1850_.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	54178

Name:	10296562_volksrod179_.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	54177

Comment

Name:	1093590167-beetle-ratrod.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	54264

Comment

Now THAT"S SLAMMED! Watch out for speed bumps.
                Looks like a Super Bell axle like on my '32.

Comment

Yea that's cool but I like to actually drive my cars anywhere I want.

I haven't really done anything to my bug yet. I got a different beam for it to replace the aluminum one that the previous owner put in. I pulled it apart & tacked an adjuster into the lower tube. That's as far as I got.
                  Mic
                  1959A coupe

Comment

Thought I would update this a bit. Got it on the road finally. Removed the aluminum buggy beam & put in a steel one with adjusters that I welded in. So it now has 2.5" drop spindles & lowered about 2.5"-3" with the adjusters. Got just under 4" ground clearance. Rear has re-indexed torsion bars with about 1.5* negative camber. Wanted to go lower but don't want more camber so this is it unless I go with a trans raise.

Lost the nerf bars, rear apron, body stickers, rear wing & roof rack. New wheels, 15 x 10 in the rear & 15 x 5 in the front. Running 295-50 on the rear.

Now just driving it around local to make sure there are no issues. Seems to run fine. It's a 1600 single port that doesn't have much power. Also my son is learning how to drive a stick shift on this. He is doing well so far.

Name:	0628051812a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	63554

Name:	0628051813.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	63555

Name:	0628051815c.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	63556

Name:	0630050842.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	63557
                    Mic
                    1959A coupe

Comment

Mic,

I bet that turns a few heads as you go past them Nice looking job very cool.

Roy

Comment

I like the new look Mic, hope to see you in it sometime soon!
                        Regards,
                        Don

Comment

That looks like nothing BUT fun!! What great car for your boy to learn in Mic.

He's well on his way to becoming a future Porsche-nut.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                          X