Super Kart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Kart

My buddy Rick who rents a shop just down from me was in the midst of an engine conversion on his racing kart; I was so blown away by the technology and trick parts that are involved at this level that I had to take few photos of it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera1891.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	41426
    The first thing that grabbed my attention were those trick little vented disc brakes. They are Brembos! The second was that tiny rack& pinion steering box!

Name:	carrera1892.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	41427
    The little silver "snail shell" unit on the floor is a stand-alone water pump that runs directly off the rear axle by a pair of twin braided rubber bands. You can see one of them laying next to the pump there.

Name:	carrera1896.JPG
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	41428
    The master cylinder is balance beam unit just like in a regular race car only miniaturized.

Name:	carrera1894.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	41429
    Twin radiators.

Name:	carrera1897.JPG
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	41431
    Twin Brembos out back as well.

Name:	carrera1895.JPG
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	41430
    This is the new/used 250CC Honda motor he was making new mounts and plumbing for. This kart has a full racing body/fairing and Rick says it regularly hits speeds of 130MPH!!!! (with your ass about 3 inches off the pavement! ) He races on the weekends with friends and does all the major circuits like Thunder hill. He tells me these karts are so fast around the track that they hold all the best lap time records. They get around track faster than an F1 car!! While all racing costs money he says that this sport performance wise is the biggest bang for the buck. Anyway thought you might like to see a little of what goes into these impressive little rockets!
    Justin Rio

Those things are really cool! Way different than the racing carts when I was a kid. They must be so much fun to drive but also scary at the speeds they go.
    Mic
    1959A coupe

Comment

Justin, your friends Kart is very impressive. Super work and not easy as you can't follow a book on how to that I think. 130mph and so low.I had a few karting experiences in Switzerland, the track was very impressive even with tunnels. The karts were good but nothing like your friends. ( I can't imagine 130mph in a kart hair raising.)

No wonder Hamilton in F1 is good he started out like so many others on karts. It must give you a good grounding on how to do it.

Thanks

Roy

Comment

Yes, it is quantum leap from the go kart I had as a kid Mic. When I consider his colorful accounts of racing this thing its probably one of the most exhilarating things you can do with your clothes on. In fact he said more than once that it was more fun than sex but he's also been married to the same gal for over 20 years so you have to take that into account.

Yea Roy, He as telling me that a lot of F1 drivers cut their teeth first in a super kart. As a matter of fact a particular F1 Pilot who had never been behind the wheel of one these seriously scared himself.
        Rick describes his hobby as all about the fun and enjoyment. If he got too competitive it would just be another stressor in his life so his kart is about middle of the road in performance and cost. As with anything you can take it to an extreme like moving it up to a twin-cylinder motor or using a Rotax engine which he describes as the Ferrari of racing kart engines. These run in the $20-30K range! As its configured now he says its more than enough to hold his interest at speed... He has a video on Youtube, I'll find and post it.
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

I started to get into karts a decade or so ago after having a few as a kid. SOOO much fun, and definitely the best way to race without a family fortune to burn up! They've come a long way from an engineering standpoint! Love the pics! FYI, unless things have changed, the Rotax engines were typically used in a class of racing where everyone used the same engine. Often they'll have built-in starters instead of portable, so they weigh a bit more. It was "tagged" so it couldn't be modified during the season as a means of cost control. Once you got out of the Rotax classes, cost was astronomical. Engines by Yamaha, Honda, KTM, Parilla, etc were on-the-edge, lasting a single race (maybe two). Don't forget your rib protector (flak jacket) since the G-forces will snap them instantaneously, LOL.
          Jack Stenner
          ---------------
          1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
          1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

Is there any type of roll cage? 130 mph in a chair with straps. I can't imagine how fast that is! Sounds fun but a widow maker!

Comment

Thanks Jack! Yes, Rick was telling me about the "G's" that can be experienced with these things.

Neil, Rick equated it to riding a motorcycle; you don't want to be strapped to it during a crash. The best you can hope for is that your thrown clear. A Roll-cage would just add weight.
              Justin Rio

Comment

I saw my buddy Rick this afternoon and got the code for that video I mentioned earlier.
                Rick's friend with his yellow kart has just installed the larger 250CC motor and is getting acquainted with the increase in performance. This is the same size motor Rick is in process of installing on his kart which I posted shots of earlier in this thread. By the end of this video the kart gets out of shape along with a seized motor and the guys get tangled up a bit; all happening at 120MPH! Rick is the #22 Kart which is the bare chassis on the previous page. Take a look! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Getting email notices again, but this got filtered to gmail's junk folder. Anyway, super cool video! I don't know if "his motor seized" is an accurate description of what happened, LOL. At 2:28 you can see him downshift at waaay too high an rpm, immediately seizing his motor!

Cool shot...man, would I love to be doing that again/some day.
                  Jack Stenner
                  ---------------
                  1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
                  1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

Working...
                  X