1958 Karmann Ghia partial resto, Subaru STI swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Karmann Ghia partial resto, Subaru STI swap

After various problems from shady people, lost money and wear and tear on my heart, my Ghia is finally close to being on the road. This is thanks to many helpful friends.

The past year has been spent on bodywork, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, trying to locate rare NLA parts and getting it sorted.

After this, it will have a JDM Subaru STI motor with t3/t4 turbo, built transmission, stand alone engine management and all other supporting mods. I want to keep the look stock except for wheels and lowered stance.
    I'll get pics posted from the day it was shipped from Washington to my door in Illinois plus parts stash and the resto process.

This will be my version of an Outlaw Karmann Ghia.
    Thanks
    Bobby

EDIT: To clear up the year of the car, it was built in 58 but was titled a 59. It has mostly pre 59 parts on it. To the purists it matters but I'm sure they would choke on the fact that it will have a Subaru engine in it anyway.
    1959 Karmann Ghia Outlaw ??????

On the way to Illinois after many problems from the shipping company.

First stop in Illinois welding in headlight bucket.
    After looking through the car further we realized in needed a much closer inspection. So off to my buddies house to replace metal and do rust repair.
    The outer skin on the left headlight was fine only missing the bucket. After sanding the drivers side we found there was a shoddy repair using screws to pull out dents that were not welded after the attempted repair.
    Without aftermarket replacment metal available for the low light Ghias we had to make our own. The metal was too stretched out and thin.

New headlight bucket welded in and final layer of kitty hair to reshape the surround.

Comment

Hey Bobby, Thanks for getting your build posted up here! Looks like you scored a really nice dry Cali-car and a "low light" too! Definitely the best looking Ghias in my opinion. The pan looks excellent! The shotty repairs that people or cut-rate shops attempt is so annoying isn't?? Everyone including the car would be miles ahead if they just left the original damage alone. Nothing drives me more crazy than holes drilled into a panel for a slide hammer when the backside is completely accessable for a hammer or dolley. So stupid! Anyway a very nice jumping-off point! looking forward to more! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Justin, I'm pretty sure this is as close to a 356 as I'm going to get.
        I'm glad I decided to get one from your side of the world. The cars around here are rusty junk, let alone a low light.

This weekend I hope to get started on the narrowed beam, suspension Wilwood disk brakes and wheels.
        I'm trying to make it to a Route 66 car show next weekend.

I'll get more pics posted when I get a second.
        Thanks for having me and I would love to hear what others think about the early low light Ghias.

Comment

Prepping to fill the gauge holes to be welded back to stock.

Still looking pretty solid until we find a large chunk out of the front lower section. It was also just filled with bondo.

Cutting out rust in lower rear.

I can't weld for anything so thanks to my buddies for helping out.

All the trim holes had been filled with bondo. It was like the holes were set in with a punch before being bondoed over.I had to use a bolt and washer, snug it down in order to pull the dents out. Thankfully most of them were accessible from the opposite side with a small socket.

Money shot

Volkswagen Diamond Grey
          Fast forward to primer

We didn't paint the engine bay since a little trimming will be needed to fit the EJ20 engine. As you could see in the earlier pics it did have some rust under the battery tray.

Now to sand, sand and more sanding

Comment

First layers of color.

Comment

Nice work! simple patch repairs are nice deal with unlike full cancered out chassis repair. Califorina car! Looks like about 1,500.00 in paint in that photo. Is the car in final clear now or are you block sanding further? looks great! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

You're right on with the price Justin. Finally done sanding and is in clear. It just needs a few more sessions with the buffer.
                Starting to look shiney.

New headliner install, what a pain in the ass.

I really need a steering wheel

Comment

Some trim, door handles, and glass.

Trial fitting of the bumpers. Keep in mind these are 5 pieces and have not been centered correctly yet. I didn't have the money to get stock euro bumpers rechromed and our after market for these is pretty bad. They will have to do for now.

Comment

I'm running out of pics of the car for now so I'll post some of my parts stash.
                    EJ20 Subaru STI motor with adapter
                    275hp stock, redline a little over 8,000 RPM

Built VW type I transaxle
                    Rhino case, Super dif, HD sideplates.
                    3.88 R&P
                    1st= 3.55
                    2nd= 2.35
                    3rd= 1.31
                    4th= 0.82

All of these are dirty from sitting and will need cleaned up before instal.

Porsche 930 CV

Garret T3/T4 turbo

38mm Tial wastegate

Aeromotive fuel pump

Primary exhaust runners

Comment

Great color! Like the fuch's! Are they the larger 16's or 17's aftermarket units? This thing should realy move with that motor! For the electronics; are using a stand-alone CPU system? The headers are a work of art! were alot of these conversion parts originally created for the sand rail market?? Thanks for posting this! Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

How about a 356 steering wheel? 400mm would look right at home.
                        We BUY $ell Trade any NOS green Porsche metal!
                        Call toll free today.
                        877-356-8827

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tubs" post=900
                          How about a 356 steering wheel? 400mm would look right at home.
                          I would love to use one

Comment

I don't have some of the progress pics loaded yet but here's how she sits as of today. Not going to make the show this weekend.

Comment

Loooooooooks GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The stance is right on! Is this bagged or not??? Keep updates coming! Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                              X