1962 Corvette driver/partial restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Corvette driver/partial restoration

Here is my '62 driver that I bought a couple of years ago. My initial plan was to leave as is and putt it around after I got it but the previous owners had done such shotty mechanical repairs to it that it was really unsafe to drive. It needed a fuel pump but when I got it but once I saw how the gas line from the tank to pump was run well one thing led to another and before you know it the gas tank was out along with seats etc. Now I am fighting myself not to go any further so its not 20 years or never before I get to put at least a mile on this thing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	62_2012-09-07.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	3234
    Here it is the day it came off the truck from Michigan. Just a tired old car which is what I was expecting.

Name:	62a.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	3235
    car was originally red with black interior. It was originally a 340HP car but a non-original 350 stand in motor is what came in it. Once I removed the seats and topframe to get at the tank the grime and shity overspray yellow paint proved too hard to just leave alone.

Name:	62b.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	3236
    I began stripping the floors back down to the fiberglass.

Name:	62c.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	3237
    I also decided I'd restore "just" the glovebox while I was in here. This is how its starts; this is how it snowballs! before you know it the whole damn car is apart.
    Justin Rio

Mate,

Life is too short, just make it safe and drive it.

Forget the finer details, they can't be seen at 80mph

At least one of us can be driving our toys!

Comment

You're so right Jason! Thats the battle I've been having with myself. I'm at the point where I'm just going to finish cleaning the floors and put it back together.

Name:	62d.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	3254
      Since this photo was taken I've restored the glove compartment and stripped the jambs down to the bare glass. I thought I'd do all the unpleasant detail stuff now but will leave the body alone.

Name:	62g.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	3256
      Glovebox almost ready for primer

Name:	62f.jpg
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	3255
      Everything and I mean everything that was metal was severally rusty or missing. The original seat track mounts were long gone. The old owners had these homemade flat-plate type footings in there instead. I would be making it all like original again. The chassis on this car is in great condition which means it has had a new frame put under it at some point. It had to have. C1 vette chassis are Known to rust out. All the metal brackets on this body were missing or badly rotted. The chassis had to have went years prior.
      Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	62h.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	3258

Name:	62i.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	3259
        Heres a perfect example. These are the reinforcing plates for the convertible top mounts and outer lap belt anchor point. It took some doing to get these free. These are heavy plate and that chunk of rust that fell of left that section like swiss-cheese. Some of the bolt-heads were so rusted that a wrench would no longer turn them. Its a good thing the body was glass or this would have been in the dead and bloated section in the other forum.

Name:	62t.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	3260
        Both plates would later be cleaned and lower rusted sections would be welded back up.
        Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	62m.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	3262
          First part I complete was the glove box door. As you can see the car is going Black; triple black to be precise. Though originally a red car I have no interest in owning a red corvette.

Name:	62l.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	3263
          Detailed both front and back. So much nicer than when I got it with that red and yellow color combo going.

Name:	62k.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	3264
          The stainless trim pieces were missing but I bought a set of GM NOS replacements. One thing about these cars, its amazing how much NOS stuff is still floating around for sale. Shocking because my mind is geared toward 356 stuff and its rarity.

Name:	62j.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	3265
          Also got this factory NOS lock tumbler with correct keys. Penny's on the dollar compared to a 356. It was wierd but fun!
          Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	62r.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	3404
            Glove box painted and all related hardware replated. decided to finish it first for better detail and because its easy to mask and seal out. The box itself has screws on the perimeter and seems removable but is actually glued in and not so easily removed so I sprayed in position.

Name:	62n.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	3403
            All hardware that was zinc plated originally I had nickle plated instead. no polish, just straight nickle

Name:	62p.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	3406
            Original door hinge; everything hardware wise got nickle

Name:	62s.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	3405
            glove box interior I shot in a mat-black finish. note the rust stains on the floor where the metal brackets died.
            Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	phonepixjun5130.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	12255

Name:	phonepixjun5057.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	12254
              Cool Justin
              I thought I was the only one. Corvette is go fast in a straight line and never run out of power. 356 is go faster around the corners. It's the best of both.

I have some shiny and other parts left over. PM me if you are interested.

Comment

Hey Bruce, Welcome!

Fantastic, Another solid axle corvette/356 fan. I thought I might be the only one too. I'm with you; the 356 is my first love but there is that primal streak in me that only the sound and power of a V8 with a four speed can satisfy. What better car to house it in than a vintage corvette. Beautiful Vette you have BTW! 1960? Nice speedster too!!!
                Thanks for posting and WELCOME once again!! Justin

Name:	vg9.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	12282
                The dream...
                Justin Rio

Comment

I forgot I still had these but I was so happy to see them. These were taken by the last owner as my new car was being loaded onto the transport for its journey out west from Grosse pointe Farms Michigan to Las Vegas.

Name:	P1010015.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	16908

Name:	P1010010.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	16909

Name:	P1010011.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	16910

Name:	P1010012.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	16911

Name:	P1010013.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	16912
                  I was so excited the day I got these pics.
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

your vintage Corvette brings back memories , as I had a 58 back in the mid 60s. what a great car, a 2 - 4 carb 270 hp with a 4spd. and 411 rear what an ANIMAL. this was back in the mid 60's when there were more performance cars and hot rods than you imagine. The small town I lived in would be packed on Friday and Saturday nights with a 100 or more hot rods. street drags were the norm and cruze'n was steady. we had a few roads that we would race at and the local sheriff would get his radar gun out and get our speeds. what a great time in life, I'll see if I can find a picture of my old 58

Comment

Great Story Jay, those were the golden years for sure! Would love to see some shots of your old Vette or any cool old photos from that period if you can round them up. Thanks! Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

My first car, purchased in 1966 when I worked two full time jobs all summer to buy it, was a 1956 Vette with a 1960 engine. Dual quads just SUCKED up Custom Supreme, raging at about 33 cents a gallon Lost the car to a drunk driver (I guess, it was hit and run while parked).

I'd sure like another, although now I'd go for a 57 fuelie. Forget it. I just lied. I'd yank the 283 and I'd put a 427 in it.

All it takes is more time and more money. I'd do a wheel stand in front of the East Pasadena Bob's if it is still there and go to jail with a smile on my face. Kate - if you're out there - I KNOW you'd go with me.
                        Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

Mine was an old drag racer that had seen its day, a green '59 with a very tired 283. Went down to the junkyard and pulled a 327, built it into a 327-version of the Z28, put a 4-speed into it, and away we went. In Upstate New York in the very early '70's, it defined the words "chick magnet", it was magic. A great car, shame I don't have any pictures.

Comment

Great Stories you guys! Yes, there is just something about an old Corvette; They don't handle or have the build quality of a Porsche but they do carry an "it" factor. Which is why owning one was on the bucket list...
                            Justin Rio

Comment

"CHICK MAGNET" I'll second that. the old vet that's what I used for bait to catch my wife 45 years ago

Comment

Working...
                              X