Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

helping or hurting the value of this Carrera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helping or hurting the value of this Carrera?

Hello, I found my way over here from the Samba with a quick question. I don't own a 356 yet but it is my dream to one day. I'm most interested in the 356A series but I do find the Carreras and thier 4-cam engines most appealing though they are now much too expenive for me to ever afford. Over the last several years I've watched both classified and auction prices carefully. From what I have seen and read Carrera coupes are now comfortably within the 750,000.00 range give or take. I'm sure you're all very familiar with the Dean Jeffries outlaw Carrera. I've read all about its history on the 356 Registry. Its currently up for sale on the Samba for $800,000.00 but I watched it top out at 400,000.00 during the pebble beach action. So my question is, are the old modifications helping or holding this car's value back? Would it do better on the open market in its original body configuration? Looking forward to some feedback.
    Albert
    Attached Files

Albert,

Difficult to answer that question. If that had been done by a less known figure then that would have only in my opinion reduced the price. The fact its a well known modification might well really hold the interest of some buyers.

Personally and that is the point, I would prefer the car in original form if I had that sort money to spend. Maybe investors need the car as near original as possible to keep their investment safe?

I like originality, many could not care less, but $750,000 is a hell of lot of money to lose ( or a large part of it )if you don't intend keeping the car for life. Appreciation might happen in the future who knows.

That's why its so difficult to speculate on modified cars I guess.

Roy

Comment

The car is a piece of history and should be left as is IMHO. It's one of a kind and, as with any modified car, a labor of love and personal expression, not done for monetary gain. Sadly the emphasis has become the financial value which is driven by a criteria of conformity, anathema to those who value personal expression.
      Cheers,
      Joel

Comment

Hi Albert, Thanks for joining us and Welcome!

Interesting question and I'd have to agree with the Roy and Joel that its pretty hard to say either way considering that its a piece of early car customizing history. He'll eventually find a home for it I have no doubt but from what I gather, other than his asking price he's looking for a buyer that shares his same passion to preserve the car as it is. As you said these 4-cam cars are well out of reach for regular guys like us so his target audience who can afford such an investment is pretty narrow to begin with. Add to that all the early modifications to this car that may or may not be every 356 fans cup of tea and you've narrowed your market yet again. I think the 400K limited he found on that particular day were guys who wanted an investment car but where hedging their bets by leaving themselves enough room to convert this car back to stock GS specs and still be in the black with it once refinished. If he would have had a pair of guys with deep pockets who desperately wanted that car as is, well all bets would have been off then.
        Welcome once again!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Due to value ($$$) there is a limited market for Carrera's. The market is even more limited with extensive body modifications. This is a well known car with lots of publicity throughout the years. It only takes one millionair to be interested and buy it. However, two or three interested millionaires bidding on an item could eventually drive price up!

Comment

Working...
          X