Are these Carrera Solexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these Carrera Solexes

4 Cam ers and if so what is the application? Thanks !

-Allen-

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_2016-11-03.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	81628

Name:	IMG_0002_2016-11-03.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	81629

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	81630

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	81631

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	81632

It's been a long time, I had a 1500cc 547 engine around 65-66 that had a pair of these. About all I remember is having to call Ray Litz for rebuild kits since the local Porsche dealer claimed they were not the correct carbs for a Carrera. Those are a great find.
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Those are the early version, the 4-bolt top for early 547/0 & early 547/1......sandcast ?

Comment

Yes, Indeed. So cool. These are marked Made in Italy and we can see sandcast. Thanks!

-Allen-

Comment

What size jets are in them? They were at one time simi easy to find because they were set up for alcohol. European hill climbs ran alcohol for more power. Most of the racers replaced them with the Webber's and tossed the old sandy Solex. They can be reconfigured for gasoline, but the jets were not the same as the later Solex 40 PII or the earlier PBIC 32's.

The cure was to soldered the jets shut and then re drilled and reamed them for the correct size for gas. Look closely for solder on the inside of the jets. It can be removed by heating the jet and smacking it head on a work bench. This could be done track side pretty easy since jets were scarce.

Were did you find them, in the bottom of that Hazet Assistant?

Comment

These belong to a friend who found them yesterday. Not in the bottom of the Hazet Assistant but at the home of a retired mechanic. If he hasn't already packed them, I'll see if we can check the jets. Thanks!

Comment

If they need a home. Call Tim Herman at Carrera Motor Sports in Hickory NC. He can give the a proper engine to sit on. They may not be serviceable or repairable but might go to a museum engine, and put another set of carbs back on the road.

Comment

I think I remember hearing along time ago that Solex built a very similar carb that was used on Peugeot's and they sometimes get confused with early 4-cam Solexs. Anyone else ever hear of this?
                Nice find if they're an old 547 pair.
                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                X