Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 10,000th 356

356ers, 4 Camers,

I believe the 10,000th 356 is a Carrera and is in fact Chassis Number 56007 which was raced at Le Mans by Slotine and Bourel in 1956. I've been working with Steve Heinrichs for over a year to identify #10,000's chassis number and I think it was hiding in plain sight well, that is, after Steve's Carrera book came out. While I've not been able to look at all the Kardex around March 15/16, by the process of elimination I think this is the car. Why? 1. The colors and in body fog lights (yellow) match; it makes sense that Porsche would pick a special car, one with a 1300 cc prototype Carrera engine (does anyone know the engine type number for this engine?) 2. The finish date makes sense 3. Is that a reflection of Carrera emblem on the car door in the photo with Ferry Porsche in it? I've included possible proof that the car STILL exists (Maybe someone already knows if 560007 exists?) and it is a photo of what looks like to be a Carrera (dash shot) in Rally Trim with a California vintage plate, does anyone recognize this car? The narrow pix is from Steve's book and shows 56007 finished March 15, in Aquamarine/Red with yellow fogs and prototype 1300 4 Cam engine. Thanks Steve !!

Welcome along Allen.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ystd10847784__2016-02-21.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	72954
    An interesting theory for certain however in this photo the car lacks the Carrera emblem.
    ~Vance

Comment

Wow, Never saw that photo (obviously) looks like my theory could be out to lunch !! If there is anyone with ready access to Kardex, please look through them for car, then, around 56007 and see what else comes up. I always thought there would be a notation, in fact, on the Kardex "#10,000" but no one admits, at least, to knowing the car. I almost bought the kardex for 56007 but I think I'm glad I didn't..now. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Allen, Thank you joining us here and Welcome! Discovering the identity and whereabouts of the 10,000th 356 sounds like a great mystery to unravel. The thrill of the hunt is what keeps life interesting right?
        Well, thanks to Vance (Thank you Vance, fantastic as always!) it looks as though at least one aspect in question has been answered today. I would bet the farm that the chassis # of that car had to have been recorded by the factory. I've heard it said more than once that the Germans unlike the American car manufactures at the time were meticulous record keepers about their production. Steve's books along all the Kardex details guys always talk about sure seem to support that. Anyway, I'm sure the factory has the answer to this mystery. looking forward to any updates on this project of yours. Welcome once again!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	Vecchi.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	73017

Name:	Bigliettotrovatonella356-2.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	73018
          The 10,000 Porsche 356 Helpers,

In my quest to find the subject I reached the end of the internet and met some folks. One was Christian Vecchi who owns 55610 finished Feb 8, Nice 356!, which is as the 10,000th but with a sunroof (my friend Bruce Anderson hated sunroofs but I'd take one ) He is STILL looking for the original owner and found attached graduation announcement from 1973 in his 1956. We WILL find the 10,000th !

Comment

Well, I've not given up and am STILL looking for The 10,000th. In the meantime, I found out about this one ! It is owned by Bill Noon and is an early 1956 MY car, produced as one of the first A's in November of 1955. It is, in fact Aquamarine Blue, as was number 10,000. Other than that it had not much in common. Thanks !

-Allen-

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	83454

Comment

Allen,

This will be hard with Steve no longer around. The car was fitted with an Antenna. Most often this means that it also came with a Radio. Radio chassis numbers were noted in the Reutter books I believe. Looking for aqua cars with red interiors and a radio (not rare but also not a very common accessory at that time) might help you narrow your search.

May experience with the Kardexes for the early A cars is that they are usually pretty empty. As such they might confuse. The one for my feb. 56 GS coupe only lists the engine number!

JK

Comment

Welcome Allen.

Didn't the factory record the VIN of this car ? You'd think with all their attention to detail the number of number 10,000 would have been noted.

Cheers,
                Joel

Comment

Originally posted by 356JAGER" post=36794
                  Welcome Allen.

Didn't the factory record the VIN of this car ? You'd think with all their attention to detail the number of number 10,000 would have been noted.

Cheers,
                  Joel
                  Well, you'd think so. But if they did, no one is saying and it is not published. I've got a number of Kardex around where it should be number-wise but haven't hit the jackpot. A quick review of 100 or so Kardex should do it, but I've not found anyone yet to do that. Thanks.

-Allen-

Comment

Originally posted by Carrera_The_Kid" post=36793
                    Allen,

This will be hard with Steve no longer around. The car was fitted with an Antenna. Most often this means that it also came with a Radio. Radio chassis numbers were noted in the Reutter books I believe. Looking for aqua cars with red interiors and a radio (not rare but also not a very common accessory at that time) might help you narrow your search.

May experience with the Kardexes for the early A cars is that they are usually pretty empty. As such they might confuse. The one for my feb. 56 GS coupe only lists the engine number!

JK
                    If you don't have Steve's Carrera Book, PM me the Chassis number and I'll tell you what info. is there. Thanks.

Comment

Another old photo of this car for you Allen.
                      ~Vance

Name:	ystddd59410.png
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	83557

Comment

Working...
                      X