Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory 4-cam engine pictures

Guys,

Over the years some of you have posted some amazing period/factory pictures on this great forum. I am in the final stages of dressing my '57 Carrera engine. I think I have most of the little authenticity details solved. However, I would be very interested in finding some, preferably factory, shots of 547/1 engines to answer some final questions I have.

If you have any pictures I would be very thankful if you could post them here.

Thanks,
    J.

Hey Joris, I hope you find a few answers your looking for along the way. Here's one that kind of intrigued me:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera2394.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	67021
    Note the four squares on the shroud. Stencil/painted on I would assume. Color? Probably a pass inspection marking Maybe? Anyway a small 547 detail to get us started.
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin,

Thanks for posting the picture. I believe that is actually a picture of a restored engine. It from the Scrogham book if I remember correctly.

What I am looking for is period pictures which show stupid details like the color of the bolts on the muffler clamps etc. I recently got one from a friend which i will try and post when I get back from work.

Thanks,

J.

Comment

Cool...

Name:	550v335.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	67066

Name:	ystd10557382_2015-09-17.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	67067

Comment

Name:	14_Porsche_547_series_engine.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	67076
          One I found online. Early Spyder engine

Comment

Hey Joris,

So the squares painted on that shroud are not factory? If that's the case I wonder why they bothered with that. So you're mainly looking for when perhaps a Black Oxide fastener may have been used over a Cadmium plated one?
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Hey Justin,

Not that I know. Never seen those before on an engine. However I will say I do not have the depth of experience with these engines as some others have.

I am trying to find some, hopefully, high resolution shots of period engines. I have some small questions left open, predominantly about fasteners. I think I have them figured out but would like to double check. The muffler clamps and nuts/bolts are another one I would like to double check.

I have spend so much time and $$ on this engine that I really want to make sure everything is right. It has been a fun journey, cant wait to start on the next one

Comment

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	67082

Comment

WOW, is that ever an impressive old photo!
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	Pic65.jpg
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	67126

Comment

That's the engine in Chuck's car. He has been kind enough to send me detailed pictures of his car to help in the restoration of mine on many occasions

Comment

This is a pic of the original engine #90858 from my old #83622 GT Speedster. Note on the right case half stamped "488/GT". Shortly before I sold the car, with the help of Dick Koenig, I was able to buy the original case and send it along with the car. The original case is now in the car. I think it still lives at the "TajMaGaraj" in Dayton Ohio. One other note, it is stated that this Speedster was delivered with a "factory hardtop" according to the Taj website and GK Restorations, who restored it after I sold it. I`ve got the Kardex, and no mention of a hardtop.

Name:	SAM_3099.JPG
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	97524

Comment

Working...
                        X