lehrmotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lehrmotor

I have a unique 4 cam engine that I am trying to learn a bit more about. I purchased this engine from a former employee of Porsche, who bought the engine after it was no longer needed by the factory. It is an early 547, stamped lehrmotor, over the original serial number, which is 90602. Has anyone seen something similar to this? The engine is a complete long block, and appears to never have been run. The previous owner belives it was pulled from the assembly line to be used as a display.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_23421.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	49821

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_23431.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	49822

Wow, nice piece to have in your livingroom IF you get permission from BIG Boz
    This must have been one of their "learners" engines for the rookies to gain experiance to tear and put together the 547 engine.
    It was really well stamped so it would not end up on the assembly line
    / Per
    JOP

Comment

Guys---

Re the Lehrmotor:

Not sure if a training motor but may have been. Here's what I do know and what you would be able to tell from the new book:

90602 went into chassis 55909. Later, spare chassis 12282 was used to repair 55909.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Steve, you have the magic book with all the secrets
        Do you have more info about the spare chassie and what caused the rebody?
        Maybe even a photo?
        Thanks for sharing valued information to the rest of us Porsche Nutz
        JOP

Comment

The spare carrera body was sold directly to customer. I have no photo.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Wow, well I certainly did not expect that. I wonder why it was stamped. The nuts and bolts do not have wrench marks, so it does not look like it has been worked on a lot. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge Steve. It is very generous, and fascinating for all of us. Is there a web link available to order the book?

Comment

Chris,

Thanks so much! I dunno why stamped that way. Have never seen before. Could be it was a training motor resulting from whatever happened to make a spare chassis necessary. Also, however, there was a pilot named Edwin Lehr. Have not connected him to the coupe but who knows??

As to the book---I looked at Amazon.de today and noted an early November availability. I expect books here for me to distribute late October.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Edwin Lehr huh, that's seems a bit more than coincidental. Thanks for sharing these really neat historical details Steve! Looking forward to the book.
                Justin Rio

Comment

The German word "LehrMotor" = Learning Motor.

Michael Doyle

Comment

Working...
                  X