Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	550v222.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	52396

Comment

• There is always another photo taken!!

I would guess it is 550-04 with a new rear when it was owned by George van de Sande in the early 60s...

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_nez2v88XRw1rbjh8to1_1280.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	52424
      Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	1096784recl550.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	52452

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=23222
          There is always another photo taken!!

I would guess it is 550-04 with a new rear when it was owned by George van de Sande in the early 60s...
          Andrew,

If that is Jean Behra behind the wheel - this photo would not be from the 1960's!

Michael Doyle

Attached Files

Comment

• Maybe someone needs to look up Steve's book

The location does look European and van de Sande raced in the US, but I don't have any listing of Behra driving a 550, only one with Moss in the 1000 km Buenos Aires.

My deduction (wild guess) is 1962. The Spyder #13 is owned by Werner Voegeli and raced in a number of events with George van de Sande. I would think it was either SCCA Regional Wilmot, SCCA National Road America or SCCA National Meadowdale...

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=23238
              Maybe someone needs to look up Steve's book

The location does look European and van de Sande raced in the US, but I don't have any listing of Behra driving a 550, only one with Moss in the 1000 km Buenos Aires.
              Andrew,

It looks like Jean Behra to me....and he died in a crash at Avus in 1958 or 1959. But, of course, it could be someone else at the wheel.

And yes, Steve's Book will be a very-very valuable long term resource.

Michael Doyle

Comment

• 550-04 could be Wilmont as noted 8-62.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=23240
                  550-04 could be Wilmont as noted 8-62.

Steve Heinrichs
                  There's something about that 1950's style helmet and the driver's profile that reminds me of Jean Behra. Maybe Wilmont doing a Behra impersonation?

Cheers!

Michael Doyle
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Interesting with the body change. 04 has gone from a hinged lid with 4 gills to the lift back with 3 gills...

Name:	550-04Wilmont1962copy.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	52465

Name:	DSC00129copy.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	52466

Comment

• There are a number of van de Sande races with 26 and a number where we do not know start number. Could be 126 as noted at Wilmont. Also, could be earlier as Haas drove 550-04 at least once with 126 at Lake Erie 1957.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=23243
                        There are a number of van de Sande races with 26 and a number where we do not know start number. Could be 126 as noted at Wilmont. Also, could be earlier as Haas drove 550-04 at least once with 126 at Lake Erie 1957.

Steve Heinrichs
                        Steve,

As always - most interesting. Perhaps the crowd of spectators in the background could be identified...American or European? Others on this site are quite good at that. (I see some French caps on the men in the crowd - and Behra was French...I believe)

Is this car Black...or Dark Blue? Also, I see an unusual vertical post behind the drivers side rear cowl as well. Seems that could be a distinguishing feature. Thanks.

Michael Doyle
                        Attached Files

Comment

• 550-04 did not race in Europe.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• I assume the vertical post would be a roll bar as the new rules would be in place at that time to have roll bars fitted

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=23245
                              550-04 did not race in Europe.

Steve Heinrichs
                              Are we sure this is 550-04? Looks like a 1950's European-French crowd in the background.

And check the front wheels - a drift position the car is about to go into...Geez - no barriers between the spectators!

Michael Doyle

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=23238

Andrew,

You may be on to something - Buenos Aires "Argentina"..?

Michael Doyle

Comment

Working...
                                X