1957 356 Carrera GT info wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 356 Carrera GT info wanted

I own a 1957 356 Carrera GT, believed to be the first Carrera Gt imported into the USA.
    It is been fully restored by renowned UK company Sportwagen and I am trying to trace the history. The car was imported by Max Hoffman and was a 'special' order.
    I understand it was purchased by one of two brothers and they had a GT each and apparently they raced them together.

The owner wanted a Carrera GT T5 B and couldnt get one so he had the car upgraded to a B nose and lid and also moved the position of the gear shifter back to T2 spec.

100369 came with GT brakes but the brothers swopped the brakes and wheels after some time and when this car came to Europe it was fitted with rudge wheels.

If you have any info on this car please contact me.

Simon Bowrey

Hey Simon,

Thanks for joining and Welcome! I really hope someone can provide you with some history on it. Where does the trail go cold for you? Did you purchase it in Europe and have no names of previous US owners? You are doing a beautiful job on the restoration BTW!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	gt356132.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	24170
    I snagged this interior shot of your car because this is the exact color combo and theme I'd like for my car. Michael Doyle's expertise is really showing! Very impressive! Do you have any more interior shots by chance?
    Welcome once again and best of luck with your historical search! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin,

I have made contact with Stefano Gatti, who purchased the car from Bob Campbell in the late 90's. He has confirmed the story of the 2 brothers, but there is a lot of history to find out. The car was the first GT imported by Hoffman into the USA.

Comment

I realise the 1959 RHD 356A GT is not connected to your car but its possible the first owner Ian Fraser Jones in the States or people on here who knew the cars then ( and my goodness they were rare might have an idea on who owned yours )

Have a look Simon on all the photo's of the Maxted Page car its very nice although now with a push rod engine. They give some history in their write up too.

http://www.maxted-page.com/cars/car-details.aspx?id=268

Its a really lovely car and I guess yours is too

Now Simon a question, did you own UXB 12 the 1950 356 coupe? I remember the car from way back in the early 70's when my brother had his 51. Possibly then you lived in Somerset? Or am I completely mistaken

Roy

Comment

Hi Roy,

I know of the car for sale by Lee maxted Page. Yes I was the owner of UXB12 1950 coupe. I purchased the car from Neil Gerrard of somerset in 1988 and went through a 8 year restoration!! it is now owned by Norman Foster and is kept in Switzerland.

Thanks for your info

Simon

Comment

Simon,

Thanks very much for clearing that matter up! I remember the split screen owner looking rather on the older side in the 70's. So was thinking is he still into 356 cars? Now you name Mr Gerrard I seem to remember he sold it. I know when Betty Haig owned her split screen there were about 4 of them in total in the PCGB.

Eight years, I can believe it, but I bet it looks nicer now.

Cheers

Roy

Comment

Cannot help with your quest. But I do own G/T lightweight coupe # 100913. Would like to see pictures of your car.

Mike

Comment

Mike, Thanks for joining us and welcome! If you get a chance please tell us a little about yourself and your car(s) in the welcome mat. Welcome once again! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                X