Detroits influence on the 4-cam carrera motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroits influence on the 4-cam carrera motor

I had heard that the Chrysler Corporation was heavily involved in the development of the 4-cam hemispherical head design. (Valve angles etc.) Much of the tech barrowed from the legendary Chrysler Hemi V8 motor. Anyone heard this story as well?
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Have not heard that. Fuhrmann actually did his doctoral thesis on this kind of motor. His thesis will be likely in a limited edition of the forthcoming book. Among other things, the book traces in detail the development of the motor.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Mr.Rio:

I too would tend to discount this story as the 4valve hemi (flow-thru) was devised before the war in many iterations.

I believe the Chrysler Hemi's real claim to fame lies in its single valley cam configuration. Until someone corrects me.
      ----------
      Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Thanks Guys! ..and please call me Justin, my father is "Mr.Rio"
        So Fuhrmann did his thesis on the chrysler Hemi or the Pre-war Hemi engine in general as S.J. describes? I'll have to locate the book that I saw that story in. I want to say that I may have read it in Ferry Porsche's book "Cars are my Life" but I may have misread it. I'll have to look for it. Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Justin/All,

Nope. Dr. Fuhrmann's thesis was not related to the Chrysler work. I hope it gets published. It is very cool.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Thanks Steve! I'm looking forward to this book and please reserve a copy for me. Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Hi All
              Fuhrmann was known for his Camshaft design.What is interesting about the Hemi is the valve angles that Porsche choose and the subsequent changes to them. the Hemi allows for very large valves for the bore size but does not lend itself to good flame travel in normally aspirated engines therefore the twin plug.
              j

Comment

Jacques,

First----Welcome!!!

As to Fuhrmann....wait 'til you see his thesis!

Best,

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Yes, Welcome to our forum Jacques! Its great to see you here!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                  X