Authentic way to mount 356 GT Plexi-glass windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic way to mount 356 GT Plexi-glass windows

I, like many really want the GT look for thier 356 project cars. While Bill Brown sells an excellent reproduction plexi-glass window set; the exact details on how they were originally mounted is a bit unclear. I did know that most of the original stock quarter window hardware was utilized. There were however, some detail questions about what sort of fasteners were used originally. While in the middle of fitment of my plexi-glass Quarter windows to my car Janos Szarvadi was nice enough to provide detialed photos of original factory pieces.
    Pictures courtesy of: Janos Szarvadi
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1638
    Factory original plastic Quarter window. Note the unusual LOGO location in the lower corner instead of the normally found upper position.

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1639
    While Bill's reproduction set comes fully shaped with polished edges they are blank with no mounting holes. Original latch mount holes here, drilled and countersunk.

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1640
    Here it is mounted. Spade machine screws facing out with what looks to be a brass beauty washer found on the door panel screws. The stock acorn nuts were used for the hinges but Janos was unclear if they were used on the latch screws. I can only assume yes.

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1641
    Front hinge holes look to be exactly the same as the Latch holes. Dilled and countersunk on the outside which also means they take the same machine screw and washer combo as the latch. You can see the leading edge has been recessed back for hinge clearance.

Name:	carrera067.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1642
    Here is my window. Even before Janos had shared these photos I had already recessed the leading edge. It was strictly out of necessity not authenticity but it worked out great. Without this relief the hinge will not mount flush to the window. You can see here I did my own thing as far as mount hardware. Janos got to me too late, but hopefully this will help you.

Photo courtesy of: Bill Brown

Name:	SAM_0809.JPG
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1643
    This is a shot of Bill's original sample. Same holes and tapered edge. Note the LOGO in the normal upper corner position.

Name:	carrera111.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1644
    Bill was also able to provide one other crucial detail in the mounting of these windows. He said there was black vinyl insulator gaskets between the metal parts and the plastic window. The vinyl was facing outward. Pictured here, I cut up some black vinyl pieces for my mounting hardware.

Name:	carrera113.JPG
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1645
    Hinge fully mounted with gasket. I have to say there was a much nicer,and more postive feel when I sinched everything tight with the vinyl spacer than without it. The factory put it in there for a reason.

Name:	carrera114.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1646
    latch mounted. I did not mount mine authentically(because I did not know at the time I was drilling the holes) but my goal was to do it in way that was tamper proof from the outside. I can live with it but if you want to mount yours the way the factory did this hopefully showed you how. Thanks for reading this! Justin
    Justin Rio

Mounting the leather straps to the plexi-glass side windows.

While installing the door windows is very straight forward how the factory attached the leather strap to the window itself was a mystery. Janos again was kind enough to provide pictures and specific details on how it was originally done.

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1771
    Here is Janos's factory original plastic window and leather lifting strap. The original plexi-glass was 5mm thick and the leather was 20mm in width.

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1772
    here's how its mounted. The window gets an alloy reinforcing sleeve and three machine screws/nuts in a triangle pattern secure the strap to the window.

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1773
    The alloy clip is from 1MM thick sheet. Its 60mm across and 30mm high. The radious on the corners are 10mm.

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1774

The distance between the top pair of screws is 20mm Center to center.
    The distance from the single bottom to either top screw is 17mm center to center.
    I hope this may help someone in the future. Thanks again Janos for sharing this great information.
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

FWIW, My GT did not have any script on the plexiglas windows.

59 Coupe built all year and finished July 4 1959.
      It has an early sn 106297 and apparently kicked around the factory for 6 or 7 months.
      It was delivered to Tokyo in September of 1959 and returned to CA by a Military person.
      When refinishing the roll bar I discovered it was originally ruby red. How/why ?

Name:	rollbarrollerderby002Small.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	11047

Comment

Hi Norm,

Nice to see you on here, always appreciated your input on the Registry you always made sense in your replies to questions on the threads and somehow you always seemed to add a touch of humour, to brighten my day. My 'a'is 106954 finished in March 59 so yes, yours must have been kept back. But your's was special mine just a super.

Roy

Comment

Norm,

Through the wonders of modern science and some help from Justin the reply you kindly wrote after my reply to your plexiglass windows, did arrive on my doorstep but not on here. Justin thinks you might have hit the wrong button in sending it All these buttons, just as well you don't work in a nuclear command bunker.

Keep well and happy, and keep smiling

Roy

Comment

Working...
          X