Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimate of the number of Carrera GS/GT's

Hi,

I own a 356A Carrera GS/GT coupe and wondering the number of estimated coupes and soft tops still around which have been restorred? Also, wondering a guess on how many 356A Carrera engines floating around? Gives me an idea of the scarcity of my car. Thanks.

Do you own a copy of Steve Heinrich's Carrera book? I believe it will give you all the production totals your looking for.
    ~Vance

Comment

Yes, thanks I do have the book. I see the production numbers. My question really is if anyone had an educated guess on how many are remaining and roadworthy.

Comment

You ask a very tough question. Many owners or collectors that may have a GSGT are not inclined to reveal that ownership.

I know that I kept the engine and parts from a really very badly rusted C-2 that I was given, yes given, in the '70s, but I have no record of the numbers for either, so who would know that it no longer exists or if was hidden away in a collection?

I never did a count in Steve's great book as to any rare 4-cam model, but when I had a C-2 Cabriolet in the '80s we figured there were only 'about' 32 made in '63 and that they were also fairly valuable.

I wish I could know the whereabouts of the one T-5 B GSGT I owned. I did not retain the chassis number when it was sold in the later '70s after my purchase in the early '70s without it's engine but otherwise totally complete except for the special hubcaps. It sold for $30,000 without the engine back then...what would it be worth now? Would the "original" engine have been miraculously "found" to make it worth millions?

Like I said....a count of existing 4-cam cars is difficult even with the small number made, due to a lack of data. Sorry I can't help.
        Bruce

Comment

Another variable are the long term barn finds that have recently turned up like that silver 57 GSGT coupe that was sold through European collectables and that 57 GS coupe that just went through auction. All off the grid for well over 40 years. Then there are the long dead chassis numbers that are secretly being resurrected. I have heard of at least one that is in process now of "coming back to life". Impossible to accurately assess what is still out there...
          Justin Rio

Comment

"Impossible to accurately asses what is still out there..."

May I correct you? It should read; "Impossible to accurately know what asses are still out there."

The data for that is available to some degree. Get population statistics for every country and figure that a good percentage will be asses. Then get the number of politicians and there will be a finite number of asses there, so total the two and add the countries....and you'll get a minimum number of asses. Of course, you will always fail to account for them all......except here on your website, of course, where there are none.

Bruce

Comment

hahaha. True.

Comment

LOL! See what happens when you can't spell.
                Thanks for the laugh Bruce!
                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                X