History of a Carrera Cabriolet from Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of a Carrera Cabriolet from Michigan

All I know of this car is that it owned by Phil Gidley, Lansing MI around 1960. In an old November 1960 Club newsletter he mentions that " Over and over I've heard owners of normals and supers say that what they really want is a Carrera. I said this myself until I finally bought one, and it was a joy to drive. I say it was because it's on Erick's garage floor now. (A local German repair shop back then) Never lugged, never run past 6900 rpm, it cancelled out a roller bearing at 4000 rpm. Prices from $750 to $1,000 face me for repairs, so let it be known I'm in the market for a good used 30 horsepower VW engine." I am the Western Michigan Region/PCA historian and am working on an article about our founding members and can across this most interesting character! Can anyone add to this story, where it could be now, etc. The car in question is actually a Speedster, the title and photo are obviously incorrect.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	108321 Sorry, I am not able to correct the title and delete the photo.
    Last edited by JTR70; 04-13-2020, 06:44 AM.

That's quite the urban legend now...a cab was actually a 4-cam Speedster? I'd love to know more about it as well. Don't apologize for that shot, its a great one before you made your Coupster out of it.
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
    X