Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotisserie Plans

Hi,
    I'm looking for plans to build this type of rotisserie. If anyone has an idea of where/how can i get these plans, it will be greatly appreciated.

I already asked on the registry, but no luck so far.

I have about a week to decide on what to do.

I know that the emory "rack" plans are available, but i prefer this type, if i ever get to find the plans..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	82631

Name:	IMG_0634.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	82632

Name:	IMG_0635.JPG
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	82633

Name:	IMG_0631.JPG
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	82634

Name:	IMG_0632.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	82635

Name:	IMG_0636.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	82636
    ?
    Manuel Tolentino

Name:	IMG_33801.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	82638

These were taken Friday. A C-2 having the texture coating applied.

Name:	IMG_33841.JPG
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	82639

Maybe I can help, maybe not. I can try. I have made four (three remain) rotisseries for both 356s and 900-series shells, all at least 25 years ago. Some more recently updated. Simple, no drawings (no Internet) and no appropriate fixtures I could buy. 'Scrap' metal found from other projects and some ideas, so each one has been slightly different.

I did post about this several times on the Registry when I was a member. Years ago. It may still be there on their forum or it may have been eliminated, as I am a 'persona non-grata' over there now. There may be something here already on Justin's friendly and informative (not to mention; entertaining) site.

I knew from numerous welding burns and a sore back that I needed a better way to access all parts of an old Porsche. Stripping, blasting, welding, even assembly...all are easier with a rotisserie.

Are you doing one car? If so, a board or two and big C-clamps are easy to keep the shell at any angle. I can send better pictures of the most important (to me, at least) mounting points and the ends that attach to the stands. I have incorporated no elevation devise, no rotational brake. I made sketches and used a tape measure, a chop saw and a MIG.... and just made what I wanted. Does what I want....2 or more times during a restoration. Coupes are easy, open 356s need careful bracing.

I can give measurements for the basic mounting units. My computer skills cannot match the drawing you posted. I could quick sketch the parts and photo that and post, if that would help. I like to do this 'stuff' (a degree in Industrial Design helps) and I like to help others do what I have liked doing for 45 years....but I have too many 356s and an early 911S to get done before I retire (or at least slow down), so my time now is limited.

So, please post more about your own project and I (and others, I'm sure) will do what we can to encourage you along!

Regards,
    Bruce Baker

Comment

Your last photo is of Gordon White. He built his from two engine work stands probably from harbor Freight.
      Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by bbspdstr" post=36416

Maybe I can help, maybe not. I can try. I have made four (three remain) rotisseries for both 356s and 900-series shells, all at least 25 years ago. iendly and informative (not to mention; entertaining) site.

I knew from numerous welding burns and a sore back that I needed a better way to access all parts of an old Porsche. Stripping, blasting, welding, even assembly...all are easier with a rotisserie.

Are you doing one car?

I can give measurements for the basic mounting units. My computer skills cannot match the drawing you posted. I could quick sketch the parts and photo that and post, if that would help. I like to do this 'stuff' (a degree in Industrial Design helps) and I like to help others do what I have liked doing for 45 years....

please post more about your own project and I (and others, I'm sure) will do what we can to encourage you along!

Regards,
        Bruce Baker
        First of all, thank you for your response Mr. Baker!

Yes, for now I'm doing only one car, but hopefully it won't be the last 356 in my life... so, a rotisserie will definitely make the whole project (and any future one) a lot easier.

This is my second restoration project (first one was a 1964 VW Transporter)

A little background on my project can be found here:

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/2-Welcome-Mat/34934-Ok-here-i-go-again.html

Of course, any help you (and others) can offer will be greatly appreciated.

I already looked up all "rotisserie" posts on both the registry and here; also, on the pelican parts 356 forum, and numerous searches on the web.

Emory motorsports has a plan for a "rack" type rotisserie, but I'll try to make that one my last resort.

Again, thanks!
        ?
        Manuel Tolentino

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=36440
          Your last photo is of Gordon White. He built his from two engine work stands probably from harbor Freight.
          Yes, i know, but thanks anyway for the info.

I already sent him an email a couple of days ago through the registry, and hopefully I'll get a reply rather sooner than later.
          ?
          Manuel Tolentino

Comment

Here is an idea for someone who wants to build a rotisserie. I got mine from a friend when he closed his shop. Not sure what the hoops came from but on my way home from work I spotted this...

Name:	Screenshot_2016-12-15-09-54-06-1.png
Views:	57
Size:	640.2 KB
ID:	82808

Name:	Screenshot_2016-12-15-08-42-00-1.png
Views:	63
Size:	731.3 KB
ID:	82809

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

After weighting in my options, i decided to go for the emory (octagon) type. I was unable to get the plans for the "engine stand" type, and Gordon came back with only two extra pictures and no real details on his.

Also, i spoke to a guy that has used that type of rotisseries in the past, and he tells me that he prefers the octagon one since takes less space, plus the fact that it is way easier to build.

My builder already ordered the tubing (materials will be around $260, plus the casters).

Once i have it done, i'll post more details, for future reference.

Thanks again.
              ?
              Manuel Tolentino

Comment

This is as far as I've gotten:

Name:	IMG_33981.JPG
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	82824
                Do as you will, but I find it hard to believe a hex or octagonal contraption (exoskeleton?) is easier to store, make or use than this:

Name:	IMG_33991.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	82825

Name:	IMG_34001.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	82826

Name:	IMG_34021.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	82827
                Some square tubing, some pipe, some old street sign perf, some cutting and grinding...and a tape measure once the center of gravity guess was made....and it worked on an average for both coupe and Cabriolet/Speedster/Roadster..... many 100's of uses so far .....but no, don't take an old man's word for it.....ah, impetuous youth (as I used to be)

Seriously, no matter what the design is, it matters most to what it is mounted on the 356. I used the strongest part of the suspension.

The tubing would be best considered as needing an engineering factor of 3....3 times the minimum for a weight of about 1000 lbs, IF you are leaving anything on the shell like the trans and suspension.
                Curmudgeonly and teasingly,
                Bruce
                Attached Files

Comment

Maybe I understand better now. I re-read and saw this:
                  "My builder already ordered the tubing (materials will be around $260, plus the casters)."
                  I thought it was a personal project overall with various metal projects involved and the rotisserie would be a warm-up. It can be crude as hell and still work safely. My first was about a day of construction after a day of ass-scratching as to the C/G. The next one was a lot less time, etc. It was fun. Now, I'd buy one and make mounting adapters. Under $2K, powdercoated...
                  With a wheeled support contraption, the car can travel to the blaster:

Name:	IMG_03461.JPG
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	82831

Comment

Originally posted by bbspdstr" post=36508

This is as far as I've gotten:

.....but no, don't take an old man's word for it.....ah, impetuous youth (as I used to be)

Curmudgeonly and teasingly,
                    Bruce
                    Please Mr. Baker, by all means, finish the sketch!

Due to time constraints, i had to make a decision.

I gave my word to the person in charge of building this for me; i told him that by tuestday i was going to choose a rotisserie type and provide him with the plans. I guess I'm both impetuous and a man of my word

I do agree with you: your design looks even better than the octagon. I'm sure we will all benefit from it once you finish the plan.

Respectfully and encomiasticly,
                    Tony
                    Attached Files
                    ?
                    Manuel Tolentino

Comment

Originally posted by bbspdstr" post=36510
                      I thought it was a personal project overall with various metal projects involved and the rotisserie would be a warm-up.
                      It is a personal project, but with a professional "safety-net"... I'm doing a lot myself, but for now there are key things i just can't do.

Also: nowadays, Using a 356 to learn how to weld is a luxury not many can afford; you are part of the blessed group of guys who In their youth had plenty of these cars to play around with, and even "F" up some in the process...

...man, too bad i was born in the wrong decade!
                      ?
                      Manuel Tolentino

Comment

Born in the wrong decade? Nah. That's me, generationally....as I may have been able to fly a P-51 instead of the 15 or F-16 I couldn't....and 'Nam was far different from my father's war, but that's a whole different story and why I'm still 'fixin' ol' Porsheees 45 years later..... and we are to catch up on rotisserie options:
                        Here's the drawing with as much time as I can allow for drawing-

Name:	IMG_34101.JPG
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	82862

Here are some shots of the things you'd need to 'figure out yourself' with cardboard templates, metal plates and a cutting torch, grinder, etc. That is, unless you have access to an EDM or at least a CNC mill.

Name:	IMG_34051.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	82863

Name:	IMG_34081.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	82864

Name:	IMG_34091.JPG
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	82865
                        You will please note that this version allowed for a (drained) transaxle to be used.(you have to put a baggy over the vent 'mushroom' with a rubber band as well) That was back when the cars were just as bad but we left the suspension on to fix a floor, etc.

You can see the trans 'hoop' mounts and the trans substitute brace going forward to the mounting ears on the torsion bar tube. Most everything is accessible with this and the front just hooking over the bump-stop arm and fastened to the upper shock mount.

Just remember that the center rotation pins must be equally spaced horizontally

With this center of gravity ("C/G") a Coupe is a very easy rotation but any open 356 takes more muscle. At any angle, a big C clamp and a 2x4 will hold the car steady. Upside down and horizontal, 2 boards and 2 clamps are recommended.

The device pictured was chosen as not my best version, but my strongest. It's supporting a 356 Carrera 2, a fairly valuable model. It must not fall or collapse and the boards under the end stands are for clearance of the mid-rise lift it is going on today.

I sincerely hope this helps. If there is a decision to do something like what I did (long ago and just a 'seat of the pants' design) and you need more input, just post here or email me at BBSPDSTR@aol.com

Bruce (thank you, but my father was Mr. Baker)

Comment

I found more shots from the '70s, '80s and '90s.
                          Ironically, the 356s are mainly C-2 Coupes and my C-2 Cabriolet. One may be a Speedster.
                          There is more detail of the mounting adapters and stands on these

Name:	Rotisseriescan1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	82867

Name:	Rotisseriescan2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	82868

Bruce

Comment

That's just awesome, I'll forward this to my guy, to see if we still have chance to go this way.

Thank you again Bruce (dropping the "Mr." from now on)

Tony
                            ?
                            Manuel Tolentino

Comment

Sorry to chime in late.....I just saw this thread.

Ron Roland "Restored by Hand" has plans for the engine type stand on page 237. It actually references a 356 Registry issue, which I probably have.

Name:	IMG_4620.JPG
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	82881

That being said, I like the octagon rack for one reason; If built well and "square" and used on a level floor it checks that the chassis is not tweaked. Also during structural repairs it maintains a non-tweaked posture. A trammel gage is also great to check that the chassis is okay by checking factory dimensions or side by side comparisons.

Just my two cents and I haven't used a engine stand style either.

Best of luck,
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X