65C awakening after 25 year delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65C awakening after 25 year delay

Talked to an old friends son on the phone, he had bought a 356 "project". His dad and I were in the Jaycees together years ago so I offered to look at it for him.. I was expecting to see a typical daily driver.

Walk into his hot rod man cave with pickups, corvettes and Holly CRAP. Way Back in the back
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2016-10-27.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	81361
    A bone dry, numbers matching, complete original floors, one owner, Slate Gray over Red leather C coupe. Good gaps everywhere. Not a scratch or chip on it. Museum quality car from two feet. With little micro dust dots pattern from the car cover weave.

I start to look at it as he explains his knowledge of its history. Original owner takes it to a "expert 356 restorer" in LA back in 1992 for paint. They carefully remove the front and side carpets seats door sills for paint. Remove the glass, doors etc and paint it. Then he drove it home to finish, then it spent spent 15 years under a cover "fixen to get started" but never did and finally passed away. His Daughter gets the car and the house in the will and leaves the car in the back under the car cover with the boxes in the corner of the garage for another twelve years. She marries needs space, Sells it to my friends son and off we go.

Not just a re spray, absolutely the best repaint I have seen in years. No overspray on anything, anywhere, hood drain channel, door wells, are absolute perfect. No overspray under the battery box, jack pads, wheel wells, none anywhere. Original undercoating no rust or holes. It took me 10 minutes of looking under rubber seals behind stuff looking for witness marks that show it was repainted The restorer recovered the dash, reinstalled the original glass with new rubber. The new hood seal have the correct screws and a factory looking splice at the ends with no gap. Boxed up all the loose parts, and labeled them very well and filled the car.

I will continue to post as we progress the reassembly. But engine turns by hand, boroscope the cylinders look good. Gas tank has some lite internal rust, but brakes are good, should be drivable in a week or so. I guess they are still out there.

Name:	image_2016-10-27-2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	81362

Name:	image_2016-10-27-3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	81363
    Pushed around since 1966.

This is your friend's son's very first 356 huh? True, they are still out there waiting to be rediscovered but not in this condition. If you don't mind me asking, what did he pick this car up for?? What a find and I'm sure you educated him on just how impossible this cars condition really is??
    Thanks for sharing John and looking forward to the updates!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Nice find!
      Mike
      '63 B coupe

Comment

Justin

Send me a e-mail with your contact info. Cliff the owner will be a SEMA next week. I will text him and he can give you a call
        jbrooks@pyrogen.com
        Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Working...
        X