Open Wheeler help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Wheeler help needed

I got an email from a guy who has just bought the remains of an open wheeler from the '50s. He is trying to identify the car, so I am going direct to the Porsche knowledge bank! This is the info he has given me, so any insight would be appreciated:
    Car was claimed to have been raced in the late 1950's
    The engine and transmission were Porsche Super 90, Body position of engine (mid) and existing side air vents are a give away.
    The existing rear suspension links are made to connect the frame with the 356 transaxle.
    Supposedly, the frame design had Porsche factory and Porsche Northeast input.
    The front axle spindles are are definitely VW.

The sophistication of the front suspension geometry and care taken to provide grease fittings
    on all the moving parts leads me to think someone of above average engineering knowledge had some put serious time into the design. Even after years of sitting all the suppression is free!

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed_2016-09-12.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	79638

Name:	unnamed1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	79639

Name:	unnamed4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	79640

Name:	unnamed5.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	79641
    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

That is a very cool and interesting piece of early racing history Andrew.
    By the quality of the tube bends and mostly correct tube intersections I would agree, this frame was professionally built. Private racer builds of this era looked nothing like this and their early design and triangulation mistakes are a dead give away. This chassis shows very few. The front A-arm suspension really puts me in mind of current long travel off-road suspensions. The upper shock mounts look very nicely done. I am certainly no expert on these early racers but it does strike me as being perhaps Italian made because of the A-arm set up. Though the spindles and drivetrain where German if the frame was built by Porsche it would have been built with trailing arm suspension in the late 50's. Maybe retro-fitted later but that's my initial impression. Gerard would probably be the best guy to ask. Hopefully he sees this. Best of luck with it.
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

My thoughts are that Porsche didn't really start building open wheeler cars until the 804 in the early 1960s. The previous owner supposedly has photos of it racing, so it would be good to see when and where and what the rest of the car looked like.
      Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

Working...
      X