Advice on 356B T6 S90 Project! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on 356B T6 S90 Project! Help!

Hey Everyone, so the reason I'm posting is because I'm looking for some input on a project I want to start. I recently got a 160K km 1962 356 B T6 S90 as a graduation present from my dad. He's the second owner and has had the car since 1981, so he knows it very well. We've done a few things but we also own a 56 Speedster and recently bought a 70 911E that have taken all of our attention lately. Its the S90's turn.

We've done the suspension and brakes and replaced the matching numbers engine (we do have it though) with an industrial engine with 86 mm bore, AA cylinders and forged JE Pistons. Its also got new Webers and manifolds. My dad says its never been as fast, reliable and torquey.

I'm looking into some advice as in where to start fixing the car, little by little. I want it to be a drivable and reliable car I can use frequently. I also want to try and do most of the work myself, even though for complicated stuff I've got help from a great mechanic that led the overhauling of our 911 and Speedster in the last 5 years. I'll try and give you a good idea on the car's current state.

Even though the transmission works well, its got a squeaky sound in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Sometimes, there's a high-pitch sound that starts when I engage the clutch. Usually happens when its warm. However, even though gears are not entirely smooth, the gearbox has been working well for many years. What's the most common issue with this type of transmissions, is it common for them to start sounding? The sound is like a high pitched sound an electric motor would make, i'll try and record it for future references. Should I start to look for a new tranny, or is it easier to re-build the whole thing?

Also, as brakes get a little warm, they also start with a squeaky sound at low speeds, but the car brakes pretty well. Since we restored the brakes, when we take long drives down-hill (40-50 km journeys down hill) they don't warm up and fail as they used to once. Braking power is good and there are no loud or significant sounds.

Engine works wonderfully, although sometimes I think it might be nice to install electronic ignition, the point sets wear out and I have to set them up correctly frequently. We put an MSD uniton our 70 911E and the car runs amazing, although I'm not sure how it'll do on a 356. Its already got a 12V conversion as well as a tachometer conversion done in Palo-Alto Speedometers.

It really needs paint, new deco trim and new carpeting. Also, it could use some body work done in some areas, specially the doors.

Now, I want the car to be sort of an outlaw. I'd love to have this removable kit for vintage track days and rallies.

Its matching numbers engine will be rebuilt in case we need to sell again, but it will probably won't be installed in the car for a while.

Its got Koni Shocks and new transmission mounts for less than 5000 km.

I would love to build a car that could be temporarily taken to the track and then converted back into a street car. These are the upgrades I was thinking about:

1. Racing Fuel Cell
    2. 5 1/2 inch wheels and Dunlop tires.
    3. Performance sway/torsion bars & suspension (what's a good kind?)
    4. Acrylic/lightweight windows
    5. Performance steering components.
    6. Short Shift Kits
    7. Performance Exhaust
    8. Replacement Grilled Engine Lid
    9. Replacement Hood with hole for fuel cell
    10. Bucket seats (replicas can be made from my speedster seats)
    11. Roll Bar/Cage (real simple though)

Here's a photo:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0275.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	74738

I hope I can hear as much as I can from you guys. Thanks for taking the time to read it through and hopefully I can get as much input as possible. Suggestions in Porsche literature and directions to other forums or content will be greatly appreciated.

I currently own Secrets of The Inner Circle, The Maestro's Workshop Manual and Dr. B Johnson's 356 - A restorer's guide to authenticity. I also own the original Porsche huge parts catalog (cloth cover, around 4-5 inches thick) and many old parts catalogs from Stoddard. Again, THANK YOU for reading and hopefully we can start a real interesting discussion to begin this project!

Welcome aboard and congrats on your graduation present!

I am certain you will get lots of very good advice on your project. My suggestions will be brief. I would concentrate on the mechanicals first: engine, transaxle, brakes and suspension (which you've done) making sure the car is safe to drive including 3-point seat belts. Make sure the rubber brake and fuel lines are in good shape including the small fuel lines to and from the petcock and connecting to the tunnel fuel line. Are the tires fairly new, etc.? Steering coupler, wiring, etc., etc. Then you can start on the cosmetics.

I used the Pertronix electronic ignition in my 6V car but the indexing was off. I heard that it works better in a 12 V car and you have other options with 12V including the MSD.

All the best and keep us posted.
    Mike
    '63 B coupe

Comment

Awesome to hear from someone so soon, thanks!

The car has new tires practically, with less than 1000 kms on them. They're Michelin X's that we got from Cocker Tire a few years ago. I'll check our order records but I believe brake lines and other brake components were replaced when we rebuilt the system but I'll check the steering coupling and the other things you've mentioned. Also, the car has had 3-point Renault-generic-colombian made seat belts for a while. I might start replacing those with a harness racing belt that I have. Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't thought of replacing those belts. Over the week I'll take some photos and post as much as I can to get more and more recommendations.

Unfortunately my budget is extremely limited since I live in Colombia and have a salary in pesos, which makes everything (except labor) incredibly expensive. Nonetheless this is a LONG term project and I just want to learn as much as I can for now to be able to complete a solid car that I can hopefully gift to my children!

Again, thank you very much!

Comment

Glad to be of help! Keep us posted!
        Mike
        '63 B coupe

Comment

Hello Pablo,
          Thank you for joining us and Welcome along! That was a really nice graduation present. Congratulations, your father must be very proud of you! From the photo it looks like a very nice solid driver. Always garaged kept? As for the modifications your thinking of they all sound reasonable and also most importantly reversible. As your budget is tight at the moment I think I'd concentrate on the wheel and tire combo that's going to make you happy and the stance. These alone are what really makes or breaks a car's presentation IMHO. As for the rest of mods you just have to sift through and determine what looks and feels right to you. Check out this thread to help you along with your vision: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--Modified-356/11926-Hotrodmodifiedcustomoutlawtricked-out-356s.html

Congratulations and welcome once again!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Welcome aboard & congrats on the car. What an awesome gift, I know what it's like as I have my parents 356 now. To answer some of your questions, I like Justin would recommend getting all the mechanical items repaired first.

As far as the transmission I would check the fluid level first just to have a reference, then drain & refill all the gear oil. My opinion is to use just regular gear oil as recommended by Porsche back in the day. Make sure you can get the fill plug out before you remove the drain plug. As far as the squealing my first thought is the throw out bearing. Since you have a mechanic to help you out I would definitely have him listen & give his opinion.

Brake squealing can be numerous things, again have your mechanic give a listen for his opinion.

Electronic ignition, I don't know a lot about them but have read how many people love them but also many people hate them. I would recommend learning about your current points ignition & how to tune it. They really are very simple & once you know about them it is not difficult or time consuming to keep them in excellent shape.

I get your wanting a modified look as mine is lowered. It is not that difficult to do with a little time & knowledge. Even though the tires have low miles I would check to see when they were purchased just to make sure as tires degrade with time & very old tires are not that safe. A new set of low profile tires would help with stance also.

Get yourself some 356 repair books if you don't already have them as they will help a lot for repairs & maintenance. The Elfrink's one is a good one. Good luck & ask any questions you may have.
            Mic
            1959A coupe

Comment

Welcome aboard! You've got a great car there and I'm looking forward to what upgrades others recommend!

John
              jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Welcome mate, what a beautiful gift. You're a lucky man.

You mention that it needs some body work - is it structurally sound? How are the major structural members? Is there any weather getting in anywhere because of any holes? How are the seals around the glass and panels? Don't let water in and you'll save yourself a lot of drama later.

The squealing sound on clutch depression sounds like it could be the throw-out bearing. I have also heard of worn bushes on the throw-out arm causing resonances that produce a whine. Play in that area might be worth considering.

It'll be great to watch your journey,

thanks for sharing,

Jonesy

Comment

Like Jonesy and Mic mention the squealing from the transmission area is probably the clutch release bearing. Mine does it when the air is moist from rain. It goes away after a mile or so driving. Not so easy to determine the problem by holding one in your hand, probably best to just buy one. Look on www.stoddard.com and under 356 transmission the 356B version of the bearing is I guess the one to try.

Your brake linings may be a bit hard?

Good luck with your car!

Roy

Comment

Working...
                  X