1956 A Coupe Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 A Coupe Resurrection

I found myself working on the 356's, which really got me thinking about owning a one.
    Several months ago, I started looking for a 356 and It had to be an A. Then amazingly, I found a 1956 356 A for sale in Bakers Field California. pictures where sent and a deal was made

The man I purchased it from was the nephew of the owner, told me the car had been wrecked in 1962 and parked on the family property where it had promptly been put on its roof and striped. And had been sitting there as long as he can remember 40 years. Witch left the bottom of the car in remarkably good shape. Unfortunately the roof was returned to the earth. And clipped in the removal process. I am now collecting parts for the restoration.

As I get photos and time I will post them.
    Sven

Click image for larger version

Name:	topless-11.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	71122

Name:	topless-0.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	71123

Name:	topless-1.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	71124

Name:	topless-7_2015-12-28.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	71125

Name:	topless-8_2015-12-28.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	71126

Name:	topless-9_2015-12-28.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	71127

Name:	topless-10_2015-12-28.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	71128
    1956 Coupe

not a bad looking body sven

sorry but i have to ask, why did it have to be an 'a' 356?

Comment

Sven,

That will keep you busy for a while! Did it still have the engine and transmission all complete?

I guess you prefer the near original looks of the 'A '

Best of luck with the work!

Roy

Comment

I just really like the style of the A, with the dropped headlights.
        1956 Coupe

Comment

Thanks for posting up your build Sven! Very interesting car and story. Poor thing, it looks to have been exposed to a few field fires over those many years and used for target practice at some point. best of luck on your hunt for parts(brace yourself, that's going to get expensive) and looking forward to your updates.
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Thats funny you say that. A fire is what spawned the owner to sell it. Was not bad as the paint only changed color. but hot enough to get the led to start flowing. I am very interested in a roof. Dose any one know how to get a hold of David Gensler (DG58INNM). He had mentioned having a roof.
            1956 Coupe

Comment

Hey Sven,

If you're still in the market for a roof this just occurred to me:

Name:	aaaaaaaaaaaDSCF6366_sml.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	79016
              Drew Saunders is getting ready to cut the entire roof section from this car here shortly to build himself a Speedster. You might want to contact him directly about it. Here's his build thread:
              http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/19482-Rusty-Tub-2-1958-Speedster-Project.html?limit=6&start=90
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

That is a nice roof! Thanks for looking out. David Gensler has 85% of what I need. I just need to get to New Mexico and get it. In the meantime I have been working on accruing other countless missing parts.
                1956 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                X