Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87823 - T5 Roadster ongoing restoration

Hi All, Nice to be back.

I haven't been sitting around for the past year. I've mostly been slowly taking 87823 apart after moving her out to Vancouver Island from Toronto.

The pic attached is the current state of the car and we are scheduled for metal work starting next Monday. I thought the dis-assembly phase might be rather boring for this forum, but I did keep a pathetic blog of sorts, which can be found here ===> 87823.blogspot.ca .

In a quick summary - The inner longs seem ok and strong. Much fiberglass was used before I bought the car a long time ago and this seems to have preserved some of the panels. Our gameplan is to stick as close as possible to Ron R.s book with doors first up, then outerlongs, probably the door pillars, floor,
    and then the battery box and other areas. The blog pics give a fairly good idea of the state of the car. She was from Toronto and has been eaten quite badly on the lower 2 in.

I'll try to post often during the metal phase. All comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Murf
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20151107_161817_resized.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	69662

Name:	DSC08446.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	69663

Looking good Murf! Don't worry, we enjoy looking at any build details you're willing to share. Keep the progress coming! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Been quite busy doing the paint strip and then the sand blasting, below are some of the pics afterwards.

Name:	DSC08515.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	70307

Name:	DSC08508.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	70305

I think my car had quite a tough life in the 60's. None of this happened on my watch though. Now it's time for assessment and some kind of plan.

Name:	DSC08510.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	70306

Name:	DSC08519.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	70309

The floors have gone as they were mostly covered in fiberglass. The out longs are shot, inner longs need replacement.

Name:	DSC08523.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	70308
      The right side pillar need replacing, numerous dramas across the dash caused by a bad windshield seal.
      Sigh, much to do.

Comment

Murf,
        My "C" had a lot of crappy body work done in the 80's and they also brazed all the patches...floor too, what a mess!

Comment

A lot of steel work for sure Murf, but standard fare for a 55 year old open car 356. Its only been doing what old 356's do best, rust out. Congrats on getting it clean so you now know exactly what your up against. Looking forward to your progress pics!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Don, Justin,

Currently putting together a list of parts. Our good friends at RD have a 15 pc sale this month so a good time to order.

I think the brazing and patchy nature was probably standard body repair during the 60's. The front bumper mounts were also brazed,, the captive nuts were long gone.

Found some mount holes in the rear seat pans, so she also must have had a roll bar at some point as well, lol. Things were much different back then. I'll remember to mention her 'racing heritage' when I sell her one day!

Current plan is to concentrate on doors, longs and pans. All else can wait until we get the basic structure trued up,

Cheers~

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X