No announcement yet.

56 speedster project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just noticed your project. Welcome to the forum!! Looks like a nice car. Where are you located?

John
    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks John, I am located in Wise Virginia. I am excited about getting started on the restoration, been collecting pieces as funds allow.

Comment

Just added super solex 40 pbic carbs with knecht air filters. Now just need the engine to go with them lol
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2016-03-29.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	73987

Comment

Should I plug the extra holes or place gauges and if I place gauges what should they be?

Name:	image_2016-03-30.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	74000

Comment

What is everyone's opinion on emblems? Should I have them restored? And if so, does anyone know who restores them. Any help is appreciated.

Name:	image_2016-03-30-2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	74002

Comment

This link does at least show various Speedster dashes might be of interest.

http://www.speedsterowners.com/topic/instrument-cluster

I don't know if the speedsterowners.com still exist. Probably Justin might know what might have been fitted in the 2 larger holes between the 2 main instruments. They seem to have lips rather than straight drilled holes. Maybe they were for the small diameter clock and a oil temp ???

Roy

Comment

thanks, I was thinking oil temp gauge and maybe outside temp gauge, clock would work too , didn't really know. I doubt it came from factory with them but possibly.

Comment

Congratulations on finding that carb set up! Sourcing all these components individually certainly isn't for the faint of heart or the wallet. If it was my car I'd fill those small gauge holes in. What was once there were the earlier Pre-A temp and oil pressure gauges by Stork. I believe it was a racer's thing to do back in the day. Anyway not original or correct for your car and very expensive units to boot.

Name:	carrera1903.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	74019
                  I had Victor Miles ( the trim Maestro) replate all of my original emblems in gold.

Name:	carrera1947.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	74020
                  Not cheap but he's worth the money. The final result speaks for itself and besides you can't trust original parts like this to just anybody.
                  Best of luck on your search for the rest of your motor.
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

thanks for the advise. I will start my search for the gauges.

Those emblems look brand new, looks like the Maestro does great work.

Comment

For windshield trim, try Marco at Elevenparts:

https://www.elevenparts.com/index2.php?f=parts&p=PARTS-Body%20and%20Trim#prettyPhoto/46/

Comment

thanks for the link

Comment

http://www.speedsportchrome.com/

Craig just did a great job with 24k gold on original emblems for a car I'm doing. Not inexpensive, but neither is Victor Miles.

($585 including shipping and LOTS of insurance for 'PORSCHE,' 'Carrera' and '2')

The 'pop' of new plating on the new paint is fantastic. The repros are weak compared to "the real thing."

As for additional gauges, I find the most important is not incorporated in the original set....and that's oil pressure. If you fill the non-original holes, get a "904" gauge from North Hollywood or Palo Alto.....OR, just keep one hole ('tastefully placed') for a direct or electric smaller gauge. O/P can give warnings of impending (and expensive) problems in an engine well before the 'idiot light' in the combo cluster (which is just a signal that it's too late).

I put the even bigger O/P gauges (same sourcing) where a clock would normally be. Knowing there is a loss of important oil pressure is more critical than what time it is on a usually broken or lazy 50 year old dash clock.

Comment

Thank you for the advise I really appreciate it. I will have many more questions to come soon. Hopefully starting on the restoration this summer.

Comment

Working...
                            X