PorscheSOS: Restoring a 54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PorscheSOS: Restoring a 54

I've been watching from the sidelines for a while but thought it about time to join in. I've just finished a B coupe in slate grey over red leather and recently got started on my Pre A, another purchase from Ric at Rusty Tubs, who has become a firm friend over the last few years. That's the great thing about this hobby; yes, it's about the cars, but the friendships acquired along the way make it all the more enjoyable.

I have the good fortune to have a spacious workshop and the plan is to keep it fully occupied this year with the Pre A and, latterly, a speedster project, both sourced via Ric. Watch us on You Tube as we go (porschesos).

Great progress so far. Car stripped and media blasted, gearbox stripped, gearbox, engine case, wheels (16") and brakes all vapour blasted and a huuuge list very slowly put together in dear old Excel of all the parts we need to buy, clean, plate, chrome and so on. All panels purchased and the car booked in to the very very talented Lionel's Bodyshop here in Southend-on-Sea from Mid March. Lionel and his colleagues are true artisans. In this last year, I've watched them work on 4 speedsters, a convertible D, Grand Prix champ Jim Clark's coupe, the Denis Jenkinson car, an RS lightweight and much more.

I'll be scavenging for lots n lots of 53 model year bits and pieces in the next few months so if anyone has any hidden gems, I'm your man! Particularly hungry for 1500S engine parts. We have S carbs and manifolds, the block, but not a lot else!

My friend Phil is working like a banshee while we see how quickly we're capable of getting a top quality no-corners-cut restoration done RS Automotive will be laying on the R509 Adria Blue paint. Neil Tadman will be doing the interior, having done such a great job on my B.

The car, a 53 model, was imported to Paris by Sonaute in Feb 1954 and we think it had arrived in the US by 1955. There is some suggestion that it was entered in the 12 hour Sebring race in March 1955 by Gleb Derujinsky, who was Harpers Bazaar's fashion photographer and a keen racer, but I've not been able to prove the link definitively yet. I'm in touch with Gleb's daughter who thinks she has seen a photo of the car in its racing livery, but unless and until we see that, I'm intending to return the car to its original Adria Blue.

It left the factory with the following spec. I've no plans to chrome the wheels though - just doesn't work for me. That's something for the next custodian of this beautiful curvaceous old thing.
    - Adria blue R509 / beige leather
    - Aerial
    - Radio
    - Windscreen wiper system
    - Fog lamps
    - Chrome wheels
    - Beck pneumatic fuel gauge
    - Additional horn

We're posting frequent video logs on YouTube (search porschesos, S-O-S representing Southend-on-Sea as well as the car's cry for help). Learning a thing or two about editing photos and videos as well as restoring old cars!
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCk3ZnkiXqJ74Rix_raq2JsQ

Hi Phil,

Thank you for joining us and Welcome! Sounds like a very interesting project which by the sound of it is well mapped out in advance. I just followed your link and the video entries are a nice feature.

Just an FYI,You have the option of imbedding each video here if you'd like to keep this thread updated.
    Keep up the great work on her and Welcome once again! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Welcome Phil, watched your B come alive on DDK, fun to watch Looking forward to watching this one, you and all the other Phil's do great work!,

Jonesy

Comment

I promised myself I'd post regular videos on here ... but didn't! We've now uploaded 20 on YouTube porschesos. Here's one of them. Over 500 hours of welding so far. Great progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wHEplZrJzY
        Help! Too stupid to embed the video...

(All set Phil, thank you, great stuff! Justin)

Comment

Long time no post. The car is now in primer and I've gathered together all of the engine parts and - I hope - pretty much everything else. Huge amounts of time have been spent restoring the original parts. Here are some pics!

Comment

Comment

Coming along beautifully Phil! A lot of time and expense invested in all of those individual original components but it certainly will pay off with the cars final presentation. Nice build!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
              X