hood hinges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hood hinges

has anyone installed the hood hinge kit from Stoddard. i'm just putting my hood skin on and wanted to make a trial fit before I fold the edge down all the way around. so I have the hinges out and thought I would remove the star wheel then put them in for the fit up. so I ground the bushing off and removed the washer as per instructions, the bushing won't come out. after some dirty words I get the new bushing out and see why it won't come out. I should have studied this a little more I guess. now my question, can one just wedge the two halves apart enough to get the old star wheel and the leaver out and the new back in. there are bolts and washers in the kit for this I believe. or do I need to grind the welded part off and grind the rivet off to separate the two halves.
    thanks Jay D.

David Gensler did a real nice tutorial here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/14496-The-Swiss-Miss-64-C-126687.html?limit=6&start=60
    Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Justin, just what I needed to know i'm back at it.
      thanks so much for the quick reply I thought the week end was going to be a waste.
      Jay D.

Comment

after reading David's tutorial it was apart in about 10 minutes. I then polished every thing up and sprayed some Dow Corning 321 dry film lube on all the moving surfaces. looks like the kit from Stoddard is going to fit perfectly the 321 is amazing stuff when dry you almost have to blast it off. i'm thinking its going to work good, there should be no drag like grease or oils that will collect dirt.it looks like gravity helps make these simple but ingenious thing work so the smoother they move the better
        Jay D.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0494_2015-02-28.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	57329

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0497_2015-02-28.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	57330

Comment

On close inspection of the replacement hinge parts, it can be seen that they are the later type, where your hinges are earlier style. Trevor posted some photos of the differences here:
          http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30400&sid=1428917c0daec72830023a5e833aa914&start=15
          The earlier style moving parts are much more robust, the later are thinner and requiring spacers (washers) to make up the difference. The later type is also very sensitive to misalignment of the spur and catch, often resulting in ratchet failure and binding. The action and angles are different as well, and I wonder if fitting later parts to early hinges will allow the hood to raise further than original, with the trailing edge of the hood now making contact with the cowl on full elevation. I don't know, because I don't like to mix and match early to late, or visa versa. I have never used the "kit", as I have become quite proficient at welding, grinding and filing original pieces to give proper operation, without disassembling the hinge.
          More stuff here:
          http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/14496-The-Swiss-Miss-64-C-126687.html?limit=6&start=60
          Bruce, didn't you post somewhere about hood hinges, and photos of a fabulous tool that you made to align the pockets? I can't find it. I'm old...and in the way...
          Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Jack I see what your talking about, my new star wheel is 6.10 and the old one is 5.86. but the new star bushing bearing area is 6.39 the old one is the same. its just going to be a little snugger. now the discrepancy is with the leaver bushing. the lever is 6.10 and the bushing is 5.99. the lever bushing is wider over all this may let the hinge plates spread apart a little. if this drags slightly it should be ok maybe its just a pivot point for the hinge. anyway its going together tomorrow and we'll see how it works.
            so much to learn and so little time to learn it all
            Jay D.

Comment

I have one kit installed it looks like the range of motion is the same. but yes Jack you are right they are very sensitive to alignment. if there is any spread of the hinges either way when the hood gos on we may have trouble. and the kit is not user friendly. if I were to ever do this again I would weld the tips and file them much easier faster
              I wish we would have talked before I started this

thanks Jay D.

Comment

Working...
              X