Views:	48
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	26165

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0315.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	26166
    I've been a Porsche lover for several years now, and everyday, my interest seems to grow just a little bit more!

My first Porsche is a 2005 997 Carrera S that I purchased in 2009. I continue to drive this car every day, and absolutely love it.

My best friend has a 1987 911 Carrera cabriolet, and decided to buy a 356B T6 just two years ago, which really got my thinking about older and more interesting Porsches!

I just finished building a 550 Spyder through Carey Hines -- an absolutely incredible craftsman with a shop in Bremen, IN (his company is the home of the BECK products). The car will be shipped to me in just a few days -- I can't wait to drive it.

Several months ago, I started thinking about a coupe -- and couldn't resist buying a 356A. Amazingly, I found a 1956 356 -- just around the corner from my parents' home in the hot, dry San Joaquin Valley (Central California). The car had always been garaged, and the man I purchased it from was the second owner -- he had owned it since 1972. It was incredibly intact, very drivable, and without any visible rust. I drove the car to work for a solid week and loved it! It isn't a matching numbers car however, and it has certainly been hit in the front (and that's where it might get interesting when we get it down to bare metal!).

The car is now getting ready for a full bare metal restoration. I plan on turning it into a Carrera GT recreation -- pretty much just like Justin!

I've collected the following bits and pieces:
    GT fuel tank from Stepan Gencev
    Carrera oil tank from Thomas Tate
    911-4 motor built by Chuck Beck (pre-dates the POLO motors). The tooling for the dizzy was actually made by Chuck Beck, and sold to Dean! The motor I have from Chuck is good for 210 hp, and has just been rebuilt; it was his own personal engine that has been sitting in his garage, unused.
    Breitling stopwatch

I'm planning to buy a few bits from Robert Kann at GTWerk very soon, including a GT rollbar, oil tank screen, louvered engine lid and mesh screen.

This site is a spectacular resource -- and I am really happy to be able to check in here and see what you all are doing (and learn from you all!).

As I get more photos and make my way through this incredible journey, I'll post them here.

Gratefully-
    Anand

What a great find that coupe was Anand! They don't come along this well preserved too often anymore. I understand that it was hit at some point but believe me you're miles ahead of the game dealing with some old bad collision repair than you are with serious chassis cancer. It really looks like a great find and a T1 to boot! Congratulations!
    The Spyder looks cool too! You'll have to share some details and photos of it once you take delivery. Your motor sounds very interesting, Photos?
    Thanks once again for sharing! This is going to be a great build.
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Anand,

Justin is correct to find an 'A' like the one you have is very rare and to find it so close by even rarer. It looks great and as its non matching your engine sounds really interesting. Slightly more BHP than mine

Looking forward to seeing your progress, should be interesting.

best of luck

Roy

Comment

Excited to see more of your A project. I too have a T1 that I am building, rather slowly, to be an Outlaw of sorts. Welcome.
        Mark Erbesfield
        57 356A
        65 911
        68 912
        73 911S
        66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
        79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Mark, Roy & Justin: thanks for your posts and kind words! This forum is just amazing -- feels great to have some friends out there cheering you on!

My friend Carey has stripped my car completely -- and is getting it ready for Redi-strip.

The good:
          Only one some area of rust near the rear window, but otherwise has almost no rust at all (that we can see yet, anyway!)

Name:	IMG_8124.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	26594

The bad:
          The front end got crushed pretty badly, and as the picture shows, the inner trunk side panel was smashed pretty well (Carey says it looks like an accordion).

The nose is a bit asymmetric too -- they forced the passenger side inward in order to make the fender tube support line up, but it is pushed inward from the wreck, so that pulls the whole fender inward.

Name:	IMG_8132.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	26595

The REALLY BAD:
          1. The lower shock mount is totally gone...thank goodness it stayed on for my 12 mile daily commute.

Name:	IMG_8133.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	26596

1. My throwout bearing was installed with no clips (I drove this car on the freeway to the hospital for a week...YIKES).

Name:	IMG_8153.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	26597

Everything out:

Name:	photocopy.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	26598

Regarding the Chuck Beck 911-4 -- someone posted about the motor on this site a while ago -- this is the very motor I purchased directly from Chuck with the help of Carey (it was in his own personal 550 Spyder replica)! The post suggests that the motor was from Dean, but in fact it pre-dates the Polo motors, from what Chuck tells me.
          http://porsche356abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--Modified-356/1845-The-Polopolus-4-cylinder-911-engine.html?limit=6&start=18

I'm waiting for some photos of it (the motor is headed to Carey's shop where Chuck will install it and my independent rear suspension on his own!).

The photos below are all courtesy of my dear friend Carey, one of the most amazing craftsman and mechanics I know (not to mention an amazing friend).

Justin: thanks to you also for all of the incredible things you post here. I have learned tons from reading your posts! I owe you!

Anand

Comment

Anand, your not playing around. Is this the same Chuck Beck that lives in Georgia, where I too live? Will you be sending your car here? I would love to see it.
            Mark Erbesfield
            57 356A
            65 911
            68 912
            73 911S
            66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
            79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Mark,
              Yes -- it is the same Chuck Beck! Chuck may pick the car up and trailer it back to Atlanta once the bodywork is all done -- he'll likely do the IRS install there. You should definitely stop by his place and see it!

Chuck installed an IRS and a POLO motor in a 55 Continental coupe that ran the Carrera Panamericana a few years ago. Apparently it did quite well until the driver wadded it up towards the end of the race

Cheers,
              Anand

Comment

Thanks for posting this update Anand! Its moving right along. I hope your buddy will continue to take a lot of photos so we can all see what's going. Thanks very much for saying so; I am so glad that my posts are of some use!

I spoke with Dean a few nights ago about Chuck Beck and he was telling that he and Chuck helped one other to develop their motors. Chuck was having trouble getting a shorten cam tower to work. I believe Dean said Chuck was trying to remove the center section and reweld the ends together and it was Dean that told him just to cut one end off. I'll have to get him going on here.
                Thanks again Anand!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Justin...
                  That's really cool stuff! Dean is a really wonderful person. I've talked with him on the phone, and it is amazing how down to earth he is, considering that he's so incredibly gifted.

That's also neat to know that the two collaborated -- it's a neat story! I'll have to ask Chuck about all of the other details!!

In other news...just ordered my oil tank screen, filler neck with rain tray, and roll bar from GTwerk!!

Cheers,
                  Anand

Comment

Status update: My car just got back from being Redi-Dipped in Indianapolis.

All of these 50+ year old cars have stories. The story of my car: BONDO. And lots of it.

We knew early on that this car had been hit pretty hard in the front, and there was lots of lingering evidence of this.

The nose, for example, previously appeared pretty smooth dead center. As evidenced by the photos, there was about 1" thick of bondo underneath there. Whoever welded this car must have done so with their teeth -- the welds are, well, horrible

Name:	Image5.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	27914

The front beam support was clearly ripped and smashed:

Name:	Image8.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	27916

The rear inner trunk panels had been Bondo'ed too, visible holes in them:

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	27917

The rear longitudinals had Bondo too:

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	27918

The rockers looked pretty good, overall:

Name:	Image3.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	27915

Chuck Beck came to see the car, as he is taking it back to Atlanta with him:

Name:	IMG_8866.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	27919

Comment

Chuck brought some pictures of the 911-4 he made (now mine!) -- it still needs a good clean, but he has rebuilt it with new seals, etc:

210hp

Name:	Image_2013-10-12.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	27921

His distributor:

Name:	Image1.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	27922

Comment

Cool stuff. I take it that's an aluminum case? What kind of shocks did the car have? They look original.

Comment

Looking good Anand what a cherry virtually rust free shell; you did well! A clean bare metal shell is such a nice place to start! Yeah it took a little hit to the right side and kinked behind the beam a bit. Probably pulled to the right as it went down the road afterward. That is a sweet motor! It looks like it hasn't been touched for 20 years and has a real patina about it. You say its been rebuilt? Like the custom valve covers too! Thanks for the update and looking forward to more! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Hey Justin!
                            Thanks!
                            Yep -- the motor has been rebuilt -- but it does look dated from the outside! Might need to do a new set of valve covers for it...I love the ones Dean has done.

Even though my car doesn't have that much rust, it still needs so, so much work -- I wish they had better anti-corrosion technology back then

All of my parts arrived from GTwerk -- Carey tells me everything looks really nice and is very high quality.

Name:	photocopy.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	27984

I ended up getting my windows from Russ at Fibersteel. They are at my house, still in boxes, as I won't need them for a while.

Comment

Here are the valve covers I think your talking about Anand.

Name:	292400_4301571017919_2088165461_n_2013-10-13.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	27995
                              These are really nice and the motor loses that "lopped-off" look as with the cut stock covers. Dean doesn't cast these; someone in Northern Cal. does and I believe he gets about a grand per set of four. Not cheap but a really nice finishing touch. I'll most likely step up for a set of these... Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                              X