54 Super Resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 Super Resto

Well I think this might help get me started back on the old girl again. So I will post up where I am at.

I will not be able to even look at the car till Jan 13 as major work load on at the mo.

But it's there and I can clean up lots of other parts in the mean time.

So what we have is a 1954 1300 Super 356. Ex LA car then Fresno Ca. Used until around 1970 and then stored till now. So in general it's in good shape. It's changed colours about 4 times and even been shot at with an 8mm in the passengers door!!

The floor is orginal and 97% good so nice to work with but alot more work to do to remove the dents and replace the two area's that where bad with out undoing the good work of the orginal floor.

So take a look.

A few old Porsches no one wanted and some big old kites for water work.

Hey mark,

WOW! This is a really nice shell! You don't find them like this anymore! Floors look nice and the longitudinals look amazing! Your large knarlly Spyder friend in the photo seems to approve as well! You don't have to open these do you? Where did you find this car? Is it an original California car? Nice work on the patch panels! Thank you for posting your build! More please! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Fresno interesting place. Way back in 99. I am sure that Paul's 51 is one of the cars I looked at, at the time as well as another pre A and a continental pre A
      Thought I would get a speedster at $24, 000 later....... ops

Comment

Its a nice shell and has all the earmarks of being a california car. Are those bullet holes in the door? Have you finished that front fender repair at the door? Phil Plank posted some nice shots of his repair to that exact same area you can find it here: http://porsche356abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/1691-door-gaps-and-fender-brace.html
        Hope to see some progress shots on your car! Thanks again, Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Mark,

Enjoyed seeing the work you are doing and how you are saving as much German metal as possible. My 57 is in pretty good shape and I am trying to save as much as possible as well. I can relate to your feelings about being lucky enough to have found a 356 before it was too late and the prices went crazy.
          Mark Erbesfield
          57 356A
          65 911
          68 912
          73 911S
          66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Comment

lots of dents to tap out as the floor is still really really good and talking to Mike at PRS some years back he said if the floor is good try and save it rather than rip out the old for new.. With modern paints It can end up with a really good seal for the future. So I am very pleased to say it is 97% all good there..

and the before I took it apart ( wished I didn't now if I am honest I wished I drove it for a bit to work out and learn from it.. )

Comment

Shipper bumped the nose and it was not the shipping company the rent an idiot tow truck driver from LA that bumped it..

But it turns out it's been hit before so, so so I guess..
                Still anoying

I dust coated it after I took all the paint off to keep it tidy while I work on it.. ops that was some thing like 5 years ago

got fix the wing riggers

Engine bay

Comment

Mark,

That bottom door edge coming out... Your rocker panel looks like new almost in one shot? You have cut out some rot on the usual area on the wing (fender) The bottom hinge plate can have spacers, were too many put in place? Or cutting out that fender has that affected the fitment? stress relieved after cutting? The inner front panel under the wing should support that area so it makes me wonder more about the bottom hinge area. I guess usually the spacers are used to bring the door panel out further which is the opposite in your case.

Justin has had his doors off probably 50 times or more to get the fit he might enlighten us with his thoughts.

Still Mark, you have a nice car there. Well worth while getting back on track with it.

Roy

Comment

Mark,

Just seen the photos. The under wing struts you have to repair. Look on here at Justins $75 carrera restoration. Not so many pages back he did all that to make his look like new. Really excellent photos and description. ( You should look ( no, you must look!) at the complete thread might take you a few hours though )

My floors are original, I did have to weld in afew places in the 70's but so pleased I kept them. Mike at PRS is correct only replace if you can do a perfect job. Again, your car is NICE!

Roy

Comment

thanks Roy, yes it's quite a speical car and in time I am sure I will be on the road with it.. 12 no 13 years of ownership and i have not driven it yet is quite an effort ops..

Comment

[quote="surfer71"

and the before I took it apart ( wished I didn't now if I am honest I wished I drove it for a bit to work out and learn from [/quote]

I common mistake that many of us have made. Fortunately on my 356 I learned from the past and have resisted tearing it apart. Get back at it and you will get it back on the road some day, hopefully soon.
                        Mark Erbesfield
                        57 356A
                        65 911
                        68 912
                        73 911S
                        79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Mark Post up your 912 I would like to see it..

Comment

Yeah, I can see where you could have postponed the restoration and got some road mile enjoyment out of her instead. I should have done the same thing! I'm sure Tony won't make the same mistake we did with his new B coupe at least I hope he won't.

I don't blame you for being upset with the shipping damage regardless of a previous bump. Where you able to get some compensation? The door alignment does seem pretty bad. Is it not the original #'s matching door or was the rocker replaced at some point? This is really a very well preserved chassis; you really lucked out! Thanks for posting up these additional shots. Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by surfer71" post=2554
                              Mark Post up your 912 I would like to see it..
                              Here is the link to my build thread on the bird. Has not been updated in a while as I have been working on the A. I am at a good point with the 912, the tub is completed, rust free, and undercoated. Sitting nicely in my paint booth on its rotisserie waiting patiently.

Link to 912 build on PP forum
                              Mark Erbesfield
                              57 356A
                              65 911
                              68 912
                              73 911S
                              79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Working...
                              X