Porsche 356A: Replace Nose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche 356A: Replace Nose

I'm about to replace the nose of my '59 356A coupe.

What are the tricks here?
    -Where should I cut
    -What measurements need to be done in front
    -Cut the old nose very near the headlights and place the new over it to check fitments on the hood and bottom rain gutter?

Nose replacement will be new (one piece from RD). I hope fitment will be ok

All tips are welcome

Grts
    Bart

JOP

Comment

Hi Bart,

A lot also depends on how much of the substructure needs replacing. Are you using new headlight buckets? Those will offer their own challenge. I did a front end using a Trevor's hammerworks nose. It jumps around a little but maybe this might help with a tip or two: Look here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/4902-Coupe-into-Speedster-Conversion.html?limit=6&start=1236

I've only seen the new RD nose in a photo so I can't say what kind of issues you might have with it but I will say that every new part and individual car offers its own challenge.

The first and foremost starting point is a final gaped and centered hood that is adjusted to the cowl and fenders. Once you've established that you just build out from there.
      Best of luck on your journey!

Justin

Thanks Per!
      Justin Rio

Comment

Hello Jop & Justin

Thanks for the feedback

Already saw the threads ...but was hoping there was a list where to look for especially ...a sort of tips & tricks

Comment

Tips and tricks? Like getting rich quick or losing weight while eating anything you want? If you're looking to have it done right and correct there will be no short cuts I'm afraid. You'll have to slog through it and chase perfection like the rest of us mortals. Any such tricks that would make this procedure easier, faster or more efficient would really only come from repetition. On about your third or fourth full nose install you'd learn and pick up things that only first hand experience can teach you. But again the most important tip: Build around an adjusted and set hood.
          Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin

I'm afraid you are right
            It's going to big a big project

Comment

Bart, Show us pictures of your car and this area. We could perhaps give a lot more input if we can see specifically what you're dealing with. Have you removed the old nose??
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Here are some pictures

Between the headlights they did a terrible job:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20180211_1519272.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	96898

Name:	20180211_1519352.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	96899

Name:	20180211_1519412.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	96900

Comment

Bart, it looks like you're dealing with almost an identical issue. How are the sides of the nose around the fenders? Nice? If so I wouldn't touch those factory joints to install a full new nose. Completely unnecessary. Yours seems to have a fresh repair section but just hastily installed. If that mid-section is as nice as it appears I would save all of it and just re-cut the joint prep and install it again but carefully this time. Just going on what I see so far.
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin

The sides of the nose are in nice condition.

The welding on this piece is just terrible....after the welding they just put a lot of bondo onto it (some area's till 1 cm)....they did't even grind it nice flat

Was thinking to remove all of it and replace the complete nose.

It's going to be a big cost, but then the result will be much better then this rag doll

Grts
                    Bart

Comment

Bart,

So.. you havn't yet purchased the new nose?? I think the points raised by Justin are correct. Really establish exactly the smallest amount of panel removal first of all. Paint off an underbody sealant off to really find the good metal.

The front lid fitment was it close when you removed the lid? That 'trough ' where the seal fits as as a 'datum' is so useful if you can keep it. It looks okay in photo. I would maybe source single items you can work on, even that is not easy, but the whole area will be more stable. Cut off the front and it will flap around and the datums will lost so easily.

If the front bonnet gaps were close then really take Justins advice Bart. Measure five times, inspect 5 times, think about it 10 times and then find and by the oversize panels to suit.
                      I have learn't a lot from watching Justin's methods. I have done work like this and after the event realised there are easier ways of doing it.

Its good you asked very sensible indeed.
                      Keep us informed. Well aware, photos only tell half the story !!!

Roy

Comment

i'm with Justin, looks like some hammer and dolly body work, maybe a cut and weld here and there and it would be nice. looks like good solid metal.
                        Jay D.

Comment

Hi Justin, Roy , Badsix

Really appreciate all the feedback from you guys

What happened in the past (to my opinion):
                          The car got a accident in the middle of the nose.
                          They cut the outside middle section between the headlights and replaced it with an other donor one.
                          Problem is that the inner structure of the battery box was also damaged....and not repaired
                          This also needs to be repaired so part of the nose has to come off to repair this battery section (by the way; while I'm there I'm going to replace the complete battery box).

Name:	20180217_201655.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	97137

Near the headlights (towards the inner section the metal is really heavily dented....

Name:	20180217_201605.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	97138

Name:	20180217_201622.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	97139

The lower nose gutter is also very rusted and needs replacement

Name:	nosedetail.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	97141

A view from the inside where clearly can been seen the donor middle part is just welded and hammered on top of the original section:

Name:	20180217_201720.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	97142

Name:	20180217_201730.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	97143

Also the area's for the grills are not nice straight anymore:

Name:	20180217_201633_2018-02-17.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	97145

All these repairs did me wonder...if it would not be better to replace the complete nose

Grts
                          Bart
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X