Original GT tank restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original GT tank restoration

Decided to individualize some of the component restorations for my project.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	356 537.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	108367
    Bought this original big tank from Australia in about 2007. Amazing how the years have flown by. A guy was offering reproduction tanks out there and this was his pattern which he no longer needed. In slightly rough shape but what was most important to me at this point was that the original lead lining inside was intact and not rusty. I had purchased another GT tank before this one with a prestine outer shell but the inner lining was long gone with a good coating of rust. What I later learned was, because of the inner baffling, resealing these tanks thoroughly is an iffy proposition at best. All the edges and corners in there at the perimeters of the baffles is a prime point for moisture to penetrate and take root again. I'd always worry about rust coming back with a vengeance at those joints. While this one was little more beat up, the liner was intact so I decided to keep this one and resold the other.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62564.jpg Views:	3 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	108368
    This lower left corner took quite the hit at some and was crumpled in like a beer can. Didn't leak after a test but I wanted to correct it as best as I could so didn't know if it would be a problem afterward.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 527.jpg Views:	0 Size:	439.1 KB ID:	108369 As luck would have it I had the perfect modified tool for this job, my old mentor had made it probably twenty years earlier. Its just a pair of vise grips with a nut welded to the adjustment knob which attaches to the end of a large slide hammer. Didn't take an overall shot of it but I can if anyone is interested.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 528.jpg Views:	0 Size:	438.4 KB ID:	108370 After a few rounds the crumple zone was backing out a lot better than I thought it was going to.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62568.jpg Views:	3 Size:	442.7 KB ID:	108371 Not quite finished yet but much improved. Several years have lapsed between some of these shots but I focused in a couple of months ago to finally finish everything out to get it ready for paint. More later...

Thanks for looking!
    Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 04-14-2020, 07:37 AM.
    Justin Rio

Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 815.JPG Views:	0 Size:	248.8 KB ID:	108373 Didn't get much past this stage. The car was so far off to being ready to accept this tank that it just floated around my shop in this condition for the next several years.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 816.JPG Views:	0 Size:	283.1 KB ID:	108374 Aside from that crushed in area it also had a dent above it that could also not be accessed from inside due to the baffle. Also many more small nagging repairs like these broken fuel level harness tabs, missing rivet caps. and the scavenger tube disconnected from the housing. Nothing major of course but enough to cause major procrastination for the next little while.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera 558.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	108375 To complete this install I had rounded up a pair of OG tank straps and an access cover.

Name:	carrera 542.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	108376 I had two pair of original straps but both pair came up an inch too short during mock up attempts.

Name:	carrera 878.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	108377 If the strap was secured at the bottom I couldn't get a long strap bolt even close to starting.
    Last edited by JTR70; 04-15-2020, 07:28 AM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

Retro fit learning curve:

Name:	carrera 882.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	108379 Here is the shortfall when secured from the top side, not even close. This also before any isolation padding has been added.

Name:	carrera 876.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	108381 I had this Original lower mount for confirmation so I knew the lower mounts where in the right place.

Name:	carrera 875.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	108380 I could only surmise that these leads on an originally fitted big tank car where over an inch longer than those of a standard tanked car like this one.

Name:	carrera 880.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	108382 Confirmation of this came once I found these slightly longer and lap jointed GT straps. These where very old and heavily pitted.

Name:	carrera 881.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	108383 They are spot welded along the lap and this modification too is also very old. This has the look and feel of a factory modification.
      Justin Rio

Comment

Correct length straps turned the trick:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 999.JPG Views:	0 Size:	375.2 KB ID:	108385 Mocked up with insulator pads this time around. Standard tank loop/anchors where just hammered over for an easy conversion back to its original tank.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 1000.JPG Views:	0 Size:	306.8 KB ID:	108386 These where the right ones for this application.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 1001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	309.8 KB ID:	108387 Both snugged right into position.. Thank god...
        Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 1002.JPG Views:	0 Size:	304.3 KB ID:	108388 These old straps must have been part of a factory retrofit from standard to GT tank at some point. Anyway, they solved my problem. Onto the next deal...

Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

an elegant solution - always seems easy once you land on the solution.
          1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
          356 Registry main thread;
          http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
          1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Having the right parts for the job really turned the trick...

Knocking out the needed metal repairs:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3881.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	108496
          Made a push last September to strip off the remainder of the old paint and to complete a grocery list of small nagging metal repairs holding it back from paint.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3879.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	108497
          New harness tangs folded up and soldered on. Metal had to be thinner than 20 gauge to match what was on there and to fold easily. Had some light scrap on hand to make them from.
          Couple of those rivet caps where missing as well but fortunately I kept a handful from a badly rusted original I had some time back.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3880.JPG Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	108498
          Again the inside is beautiful but the shell has a lot dings and dents ( two major ones) all over it. The tank will never be perfect but I wanted to minimize the big ones.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3882.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.9 KB ID:	108499
          Big dents back here on both sides where the straps would be. I can only surmise this tank was retro fitted to a standard tanked car like mine and they ran into the
          same shortfall I found but they on the other hand tried forcing things causing these dents. Can't reach them from behind so I soldered a pulling pin to it and it turned the trick just fine. BTW my other concern was damaging the lead lining on the inside so just soldering this pin on temporarily preserved the inner coating.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3878.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.3 KB ID:	108500
          I had yanked this corner just about as far is it was going to come without using any torch heat. Again I didn't want to burn the inner lead coating away. I thought about just leaving it as is; couldn't use plastic filler. I thought about it as maybe some originality type "street Cred" but having come this far I couldn't just paint over it this way.
          Last edited by JTR70; 04-21-2020, 07:02 AM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

More damage softening:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3884.JPG Views:	0 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	108502
            While I was soldering tangs and pull pins on I decided to keep going by leading over these remaining wrinkles.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3885.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.0 KB ID:	108503
            Solder applied and built up over the area and ready for file shaping.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3877A.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	108504
            Secondary damage from that bashed in lower corner was a large dent on the upper outer wall. This area really shows and there was a bad gap between the it and the strap here so it had to come up. Took several pin placements and pulls but it eventually came out to a level that I could live with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3886.JPG Views:	0 Size:	56.6 KB ID:	108505
            Other issues where old chaffed areas on the bottom that had surface rusted and mildly pitted. Thank god these didn't go through. Soldered over these areas too.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3889.JPG Views:	0 Size:	33.0 KB ID:	108506
            At long last with my check list completed I was able to apply its first coat of epoxy sealer. This primer coat really highlighted all the numerus dings. This is the bottom but the top is not much better. Oh well, at least its still pretty on the inside.
            More later...
            Thanks for looking!
            Justin
            Last edited by JTR70; 04-21-2020, 06:41 AM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

Initial work coat of black:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5497.JPG Views:	0 Size:	167.1 KB ID:	108514 Light work coat applied and lightly sanded to highlight all the remaining blemishes.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5493.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.1 KB ID:	108515 This corner is still misshapen and nowhere near perfect but it came out a lot better than I had planned.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5494.JPG Views:	0 Size:	111.9 KB ID:	108516 With all the limitations I had as far as access and how aggressive I could get... I'm fine with it so long as it don't leak!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5495.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.8 KB ID:	108517 Dings and rollers abound, Everywhere but I am not over restoring this tank. I see a lot these tanks color sanded with better finishes than on the car body itself
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5496.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.8 KB ID:	108518 but this one will be finished in a correct light coat of Semi gloss black. I want to keep the coating thin so the natural texture of the coated surface transfers through as I've seen with a lot of original painted tanks. The older I get the more I'm finding the stain finishes appealing; Less is more. Especially in this case as this sucker is too rough for one of those fancy color sand finishes anyway.

Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Last edited by JTR70; 04-22-2020, 06:34 AM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, just followed this story from the beginning. Now that has turned out just fine. I imagined you would use a soldered on pull out system. Interested in knowing how you applied the pull out pressure? I can only think you clamped the shaft in chuck and then if that was say a drill you pulled on it? Maybe that would not just work at all? How did you do it?

What a nice item to have it would very smart in any nice 356.

Roy

Comment

Thanks very much Roy! Actually I used the same tool that I used to pull out that lower corner...

Name:	IMG_5576.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	108652 Its a simple quick add-on modification my old mentor built many years ago. It worked beautifully on that caved in corner but as you can see its was really over kill to bring up the skin sections so only the lightest of taps was necessary.

Name:	IMG_5577.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	108653 The only draw back is the angle of pull is not straight on do the shape of vice jaws but it as long as you stay aware of it as it goes it can be worked around.
                  Thanks again Roy!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                  X