Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Headlight buckets ??

I am about to weld new headlight buckets into a new nose section

But damn (sorry) they just won't go in??
    Is there a trick to install them?

Grts
    Bart

Its a bit of a pressed fit to begin with. If you're using an aftermarket nose with aftermarket buckets all bets are off. You might have more of a sporting chance if all the parts are made by the same manufacturer but even factory parts fight. You'll just have to be patient and carefully spank them in gradually; All without distorting the nose and buckets as you go hopefully. If the fit is too tight you could relief slice the opening's flange in a couple of places if necessary. Anyway, a tight fit is normal.
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

A New nose needs a little enlargement of the holes to get the buckets in. Hammer and dolly, and grinding with a rotary file. I put chalk on the bucket, press in in as far as it will go. The pull it out and file the chalk witness marks on the nose. Wash and repeat until it goes in bumping it with your palm. Keep it square to the lip on the bucket to the edge of the hole, a little miss alignment will bind it.
      Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Hi

Ok, will try it again this evening....
        By the way; how much is the distance between the nose and the bucket....i mean where the small rubber sits between both... 3mm??

Grts
        Bart
        Last edited by Porscheke; 02-26-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Bart
          I welded in my buckets last year. I was using repaired original buckets and one nos passenger nose. Drivers went in easily as all same parts. Passenger side reqd some coersion. There is a flat area at the back of the bucket that appears parallel with the opening. I used a short piece of 2x4 wood and a hefty rubber mallet to drive it in square. Took some effort. When approximately seated I used masking tape to simulate paint thickness, then installed the rubber seal and trim ring until I got a nice seal. Carefully removed parts and tack welded buckets in place.

Comment

Hi Phil

That's the same way I did it yesterday.
            They are finally in....But it's a very tight fit

Now only checking the gap between nose and headlight bucket where the rubber sits.....I thought it was originally 3mm...but can't find the evidence anymore here on the net...

Perhaps someone has some restoration pictures of it?

Grts
            Bart

Comment

I got a new nose from Trevor Hammerworks. I asked the same question. His response/suggestion was to make a cut part way down the bucket to allow you to squeeze the bucket radius smaller then stitch the seam. I can’t vouch for this method just passing along another possible way to skin the cat.
              1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
              356 Registry main thread;
              http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
              1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

Working...
              X