Roadster Top Details Help Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Top Details Help Requested

Hello, I have a 1961 T5 Roadster here. This question is about the top frame. In the pictures below, I have one picture of each side of the top frame. It is folded up sitting off the car in my garage....

Question 1 - There is a pin of some sort missing from the second photo. How is that pin held in? On the first photo, this pin is there, but it sort of seems like it's just magically attached... is it a press fit type thing? Where would I get a new pin? Should I make one?

Question 2 - If you compare the two pictures below, you can see that in the first one, there is some sort of square shim held on with two sheet metal screws, but that piece is missing from the second picture. The first picture also shows some some of rubbery black goo under this metal shim. It may be really old vinyl or perhaps a little rubber pad (??)

Does anyone have any pictures of a restored top frame in these areas? (Doesn't have to be concourse-correct as the goal for this car is a "nice driver" type restoration attempt... )

Thanks much,

Brian

Click image for larger version  Name:	roadstertop1.png Views:	0 Size:	883.3 KB ID:	107773

Click image for larger version  Name:	roadstertop2.png Views:	0 Size:	827.6 KB ID:	107771
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Safetypup; 01-08-2020, 07:58 PM.

The pin is staked under the head and pressed in. It's like a door hinge. The beige paint on it is the correct finish. You can drive out the other pin with a drift. Then measure and go match it for the missing side.

The ghe shim and rubber pad is just that, it transfers the spring load of the frame into the top of the B pillar with the top up.
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	d61946.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	107779 While in process of working on this D Roadster I began to suspect that this main articulating hinge on these roadster top frames are based on a Speedster seat hinge. They are of course lopped off and grafted in but the pivot point area is my the tell tale. So if the hinge on your top frame is not only missing the pin but also shot you can easily give Zim's a call and order yourself a new hinge assembly or two and graft in brand new and correct looking pivot points. HTH Justin
      Last edited by JTR70; 01-09-2020, 07:56 PM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

Well I'm glad my original pins are still functioning in 88971!
        YIKES!
        JR

Comment

Working...
        X