Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 356 C Coupe Heater Tube Repair

Hello guys,

I'ts been a while since my last post, as I've been super busy over the last weeks: new house (including a full reno), tons of work... so, basically, LIFE... and just to keep things interesting, the queue time w/ my metal guy is up, so the work on my 356 coupe just started that means im juggling with a dozen different projects at the same time... yay!

I already found my first head-scratcher with the car: the heating system pipes within the longitudinals need replacement, and i really need advice on how to tackle this area.

I live in Florida, so chances are i'll NEVER gonna need to use the heat system on the car, yet i want to do my best to fix this area as good as possible.

Please review the attached pictures, and let me know what are my options.

I already went to a local muffler shop here in West Palm Beach, to see if they could replicate these sections, and the owner/manager of the shop swiftly said "i don't want to get involved on this repair"... go figure...

He said he wouldn't even touch the front section (the one with the vent that goes into the cabin), and then told me he would charge me $140 to bend the two elbows for the rear section... which i think was his "i REALLY don't wanna do this" price.

I went back to my metal guy with the bad news, and one of the options he suggested was to replace that rear section with some flex exhaust connectors... which im not so sure about...

So... what would you guys do on this situation?

My car is not exactly a 100% numbers match, yet everything other than the engine and the 2 doors is original to the car... so im not looking to win any trophies with this restoration, and again, i live in Florida, so no real need for the heating system... but i already have the heater boxes powder coated and restored, so im already kinda half way on the heating system resto anyway... so i would prefer not to cut corners.

I'm surprised as of how little info i was able to gather on this particular section of the car, and how come no vendor offers these pipe sections on such a rust-prone area... after all, they are mostly bent pipes welded together.

OK, here are the pics, please let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9897.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	90755

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9898.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	90756
    ?
    Manuel Tolentino

Hi Manuel,

I'll let the guys who have worked on the "newer" 356's chime in as far as that tube goes but I see serious problems with that new floor you have welded on there. You are approaching this repair out of sequence. The floor is almost the last item to be installed after the longitudinals have been repaired this includes that tube section and the lower perimeter flange section which appears to be in need of some help. The floor also seats to the inside of this flange not under it where you show it. Also the front and rear lap joint of the pans is reversed. That long embossment should form a "tube" not fit into itself. I would highly recommend that you study John Pierces build as you are building the same car. Its so critical to the value of your car that this steel work be correct. Your car and your choice of course but this will come back to bite you hard if its not right.
    HTH.
    Justin

*Also just noticed that your front floor pan section is upside down as well.
    If you don't feel like going through old threads on this site get your hands on a copy of a few rust repair books like Ron Roland's old book. Bruce Baker speaks very highly of the info found in it...
    Justin Rio

Comment

Yup, i just came home after an " emergency meeting" with my metal guy... needless to say, that floor will be replaced, as the front section was installed upside down by mistake.

All this will be corrected.

Thanks Justin!
      ?
      Manuel Tolentino

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, but I did this whole area which can be seen at:

Cheers,

John
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
        X