Chassis 85517 Number 17 356 Convertible D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front bumper mounting pedestals.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1119.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.0 KB ID:	105327
    Noticed all four of the inner mount stand-offs where only tack welded in and with a large air gap as the above photo high lights. Between road vibration and wind buffering these would crack loose eventually.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1132.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	105328
    Cut away the tack welds a side at a time then set screwed the mounting flanges down tight like they should be.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1133.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.0 KB ID:	105329
    Finished off with plug welds.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1134.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	105330
    Not coming free anytime soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	105331 Last issue I had was with the mount surface for the bumper irons. Lumpy and peaked at the hole making a poor contact surface for the iron itself.
    Last edited by JTR70; 05-31-2019, 06:55 AM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	IMG_1138.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	105333
      Some heat and light hammering squared the surface off nicely.

Name:	IMG_1140.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	105334
      Much better fit. Front bumper metal work phase complete.

Name:	IMG_1120.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	105335
      Time to start fitting it to the car again

Name:	IMG_1121.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	105336
      For best average uniform fit. That next.
      Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Nice jpb. Looks great

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Phil! A lot more yet to come..

Front bumper mounting and adjustment.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1162.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	105371
        Since the front end group is new and the bumper is as well I needed a mock up with an original bumper just so I could see what was what.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1158.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.4 KB ID:	105372
        This OG unit actually adjusted and gapped out beautifully with the nose of this car. A few promising sign.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1167.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.8 KB ID:	105373
        After a bit of jockeying it was fitting as well as the original.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1170.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	105374
        Gapped and contoured nicely against the nose.

Name:	IMG_1173.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	105376
        Ends where coming out even at just over an inch.
        Last edited by JTR70; 06-01-2019, 06:37 AM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1174.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	105378
          About the same on the right.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1165.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	105379
          And the original for contrast. As close as I was going to get.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1098.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	105380
          Onto the next deal. Contour issues nose to trunk. That up next.
          Thanks for looking!
          Justin
          Last edited by JTR70; 06-01-2019, 06:44 AM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

Body contour issue at the nose.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1176.JPG Views:	0 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	105404
            A really bad lump in the profile shape right at the emblem and now highlighted with a quick filing. Should be a smooth graceful transition but a notable ridge here then quickly drops in to meet the edge of the hood. Can be overlooked in flat black primer but a reflective surface is really going to draw attention to this issue. With the emblem in position it might well draw your eye away from it and maybe that's what the shop that built this car was thinking but I can't leave that.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1204.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	105405
            Since the die has been set the least invasive thing I could was to move the hood forward a few MM's creating a little overbite. The plan now is to skim coat the lip between these two points to eliminate or least to soften that ridged profile.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1207.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	105406
            Moving the hood forward closed the initial gaps even tighter but there is a lot of lead through here so I can reestablish them.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1208.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	105407
            I'll have to add about another credit cards thickness of filler to raise this low area between the hood and the lump but I'll also be removing additional filler to open up the hood gap so its a trade off but one that corrects this oversight.
            More on this later. Thanks for looking!
            Justin
            Last edited by JTR70; 06-03-2019, 07:15 AM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

Can you shrink that high area down with a shrinking disc?

Comment

• JTR70
                JTR70 commented
                Editing a comment
                It was a consideration but the rest of nose below it transitioned just fine so I'd end up flattening the entire nose practically. These are the instances where you've got to figure out is my high spot really high or is it correct and the area next to it is just low. Turns out the area above it is really just low and was stepped down to even out in time with the latched hood. Lined up with the hood but it just doesn't flow smoothly. Don't know if this issue was in the stamping or if the nose was hung a little low or both. As I said the cast has been set and I have no choice but make lemonade out of it.

Carving out the new hood gap.

Name:	IMG_1209re.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	105412
              Outlined a basic 3mm gap in tape against the readjusted hood with seal.

Name:	IMG_1210.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	105413
              Slowly bringing the shoulder down to the edge of the tape.

Name:	IMG_1211.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	105414
              Another (among many) against the latched with seal reinstalled.

Name:	IMG_1301.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	105415
              Continue widening.
              Justin Rio

Comment

Wow, a huge undertaking. Good analysis Justin. Wear that lead dust mask.

Comment

• JTR70
                  JTR70 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Absolutely, I don't even cut or grind on steel/weld joints without a respirator anymore. A real respirator BTW not the paper masks with the elastic bands as they are just better than nothing. When you're young you just don't think about it but care really must be taken to protect your lungs as well as your sight and hearing when working with this stuff. Its not just the lead and steel particulates you don't want to inhale but just as dangerous if not more so is the aggregate and the fiberglass core that its bonded to that comprises the disc. All that stuff is turning into fine airborne dust and fibrous filaments as the wheel is being consumed. You can get false sense that you're okay when its not an obvious cloud but don't be fooled your breathing it in. Even long after the cutting is done if the ventilation isn't there. Your lungs can and do clean themselves but some this stuff never comes out. It was a hard change to make at first because it was such a pain to make the extra effort to put on the gear but now it feels as weird as not wearing my seatbelt if I don't put my mask, glasses and headphones on.

Begin looking at the entire front end group shape as a whole.

Name:	IMG_1216.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	105461
                Light body filing just to highlight the low and high spots. The low section under the edge of the hood is coming into focus.

Name:	IMG_1215.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	105462
                The hood has been through the mill. It was kinked at some point, the skin removed just as Phil is doing right now messaged and reassembled. Lots small irregularities but nothing serious. (so far)

Name:	IMG_1293.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	105463
                Same thing going on over here. Only small stuff but flat black primer sure makes the surface seem a lot nicer than it really is.

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	105464
                Rollers and height discrepancies along the edge of the hood but expected and will be addressed shortly.
                Justin Rio

Comment

Hood gaps

Name:	IMG_1407.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	105566
                  Tedious job of hand filing the inner surface for gap and shape.

Name:	IMG_1408.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	105567
                  Slowly started whittling the lead down to the shape I was after. A lot of lead use so I had plenty to work with.

Name:	IMG_1392.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	105568
                  Hood seal reinstalled (for the hundredth time) and latched to check for final gap and shape. Left forward corner here getting really close. Heading up the sides next.

Name:	IMG_1395.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	105569
                  Right side gap is a lot tighter by contrast but marking out the desired gap with tape here.

Name:	IMG_1394.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	105570
                  Quite the repetitive process to develop and dial it in with the hoods new position but on the right track.

Thanks for looking!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

I am impressed. Very accurate work. Thank you very much for this detailed description.
                    Bruno

Comment

• JTR70
                      JTR70 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks a lot Bruno! Just trying to convey what can go into the process of fitting and gapping body panels. I appreciate it!
                      Justin

Prepping left corner and fender for some base sealer.

Name:	IMG_1410.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	105595
                    Lots of lead on this car and a good deal of it doesn't need to be there. This lower corner thickness can stand some thinning.

Name:	IMG_1416.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	105596
                    After some file shaping a solid several MM's removed. Basic shape and contour retained with a now reasonable filler thickness and spots of steel coming through. Much happier with this now.

Name:	IMG_1414.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	105597
                    Final preparation for a sealer coat on this left corner.

Name:	IMG_1419.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	105598
                    Exposed leaded areas thoroughly scrubbed with soapy water to make sure any tinning acid residue removed.

Name:	IMG_1420.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	105599
                    Behind initial sealer coat and now ready to begin the bodywork phase on this corner.

Justin Rio

Comment

Begin bodywork phase left corner
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1422.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	105601
                      Those buckets really needed to come back in. So glad we corrected that,
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1423.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	105602
                      Good general shape but a lot of blocking and skim coating to get near perfect.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1430.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	105603
                      Following day was initial block sanding on the sealer then swatching it where it was low.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1431.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	105604
                      Bringing that area below the hood up for a smooth flowing transition. While in the middle of this another slight contour issue caught my eye. Posting that next.
                      thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Justin
                        Great tutorial. Never would have thought about moving hood forward. Thanks

Comment

• JTR70
                          JTR70 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Phil, really its just the mother of necessity and my only non invasive option. The fix it would be to cut and reset the nose but I didn't want to open that can of worms.
                          Justin
                      Working...
                      X