Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Chassis 85517 Number 17 356 Convertible D - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chassis 85517 Number 17 356 Convertible D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting it back out:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3966.JPG Views:	0 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	107160
    I knew I was now removing the rocker threshold but I also had to remove this lower hinge mount to have a clean shot of that lower door well area. The previous shop that did these metal repairs had cut it in half removing only the mounting surface. Don't understand this approach other than the fear of not remounting it in the right location. Its all coming out and will repair this boss cleanly once its all over.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3969.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	107161

Cut this mount back in half through their weld joint and was now in the process of cutting and prying this forward section free. Once I did large chunks of old rust fell out exposing overlooked rot down in the mount surface.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3970.JPG Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	107162
    Forward mount section removed. No surprises here, this why you take that mount out in one piece instead of only half of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_61748.jpg Views:	3 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	107163
    Cut the first window just above that newly exposed rust hole in the closing wall exposing that partial patch hanging out in space. The second forward window exposed the remains of the OG flange/pan that was not addressed but left rusty and weak.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_61749.jpg Views:	3 Size:	42.6 KB ID:	107164
    I could give the previous shop the benefit of the doubt on the first rust hole since it was concealed under the hinge mount.( that should have been removed completely) but this hole could clearly be seen while they where installing the new longitudinal closing section. Pure corner cutting here, no excuses.
    Cleaning up the rest of this next.

Thanks for stopping by!
    Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 10-14-2019, 05:12 AM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Very sad to see what you found Justin. Glad I learned to DIY after seeing this.

Comment

• JTR70
        JTR70 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree Phil, but if you're not a DIY and you've farmed out the metal work I'd demand detail shots or a first hand inspection of the insides of the longitudinals before the shop closes them up. Prime example here. Trust but verify...

• Removing existing threshold and door well substructure remains.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3988.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.3 KB ID:	107191
      Cutting through and cleaning existing welds and blobs to get the front of this threshold free.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3990.JPG Views:	0 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	107192
      Threshold flange was incorrectly spot welded along the upper frame flange. Will correct this along with a few other issues I found wrong with this run when I build it back up. Fortunately (for me) only the back half of them actually fused so removal was half the work. The new threshold will be fuse welded along the leading edge as was done originally.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_61765.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	107193
      Makeshift patch removed along with a little more closing wall for access to work.

Name:	image_61766.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	107194
      Just about ready to remove the rest of the closing wall junction and the OG flange/tray at the bottom. Again, fortunately for my purposes thier spot welds gave up quickly.

Name:	image_61767.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	107195
      Just about touched bottom here with only some edges to clean and prep. As you can see with all the compromised patched and rusty sections removed this forward area amounts to an empty beer can. This is why I stressed to my buddy that this junction has to be strong and just as importantly welded together securely when this thing is going down the road. New sections coming up next.

Thanks for stopping by!
      Justin
      Last edited by JTR70; 10-17-2019, 06:27 PM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Just to say Justin if I had paid that previous restorer for his attempts and if the costs had been very high I would disclose everything. If the recipient of the work carried out paid only peanuts then of course a different story. You should get what you are promised and I would have thought a photographic record of the work carried out to show the grot had been removed?

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Roy, its a very sore subject that my friend is anxious to just get behind him. With each of these corrections he's a little bit closer to that end.

• Yes Justin with your effort he will reach the end, although he will be that much poorer for you having to uncover all this rust to repair a car that was ready for paint. At least the car is now in capable hands so his mind there hopefully will be more at rest.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for that Roy! Just repairing it as best as I can.

• Prep work and templates:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3983.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	107207
        Able to reuse an existing template I made for that '59 coupe project. This "pan" was in reality just an extension flange off of the main inside wall to the left here. Began as one panel.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3984.JPG Views:	0 Size:	46.1 KB ID:	107208
        A clear shot of the rusted flange remains and patch. Just fish plated directly over cancered out metal. As you can see by the welds not very secruely attached either. Nice for removal purposes though...
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_61773.jpg Views:	3 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	107209
        Ready to begin making a new section from 18 gauge.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_61774.jpg Views:	3 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	107210
        Making that new panel next but lots of clean up and prep on the car yet to do.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_61775.jpg Views:	3 Size:	40.5 KB ID:	107211
        Not only all of this but I still have to correct the striker post details as well. A lot more to deal with than I had on the left side if you can believe that..
        New flange/tray section up next.

Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 10-19-2019, 08:11 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• New sections:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	107213
          New flange/floor section folded and trimmed to basic shape. Laying down some set crews from the outside. I'll also have to plug weld from the wheel well as much as possible to have any shot of dressing the welds.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4009.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	107214
          New section made from 18 gauge. Requires a little more effort to work with but the added strength is what I'm after when it comes to "chassis" components. 20 gauge is great for body panels but after all these years of working on chassis repair it feels too light. The OG material was at least the equivalent to 19 gauge.

Name:	image_61778.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	107215
          Not only was this patch 20 gauge but its also missing the rest of the folds and features that tie it into the surrounding panels that give it strength and rigidity.

Name:	image_61779.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	107216
          Begin templates for the new outer closing wall.

Name:	image_61780.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	107217
          Rough fitting the new threshold as well.

Thanks for looking!
          Justin
          Last edited by JTR70; 10-21-2019, 06:34 PM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• You are on the way there Justin nice fabrication . Good choice of guage.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Roy, I feel better using it for these structural sections.

• Prepping for installation:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4038.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	107234
            existing flange was too narrow and a bit mangled so
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4039.JPG Views:	0 Size:	43.9 KB ID:	107235

a new section was made also of 18 gauge.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4056.JPG Views:	0 Size:	41.1 KB ID:	107236
            all grafted in now.

Name:	image_61784.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	107237
            new pan in final adjusted position and set screwed by the flanges.

Name:	image_61785.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	107238
            Have no room to dress the plug welds from the inside so all the welding has to be done outside to keep the flanges clean for final presentation.
            Last edited by JTR70; 10-29-2019, 04:48 AM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• final installation:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4067.JPG Views:	0 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	107240
              coated the underside of the pan with epoxy in preparation for its final install.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4068.JPG Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	107241
              Vacuumed out the cavity one last time just before it went in for good.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4070.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	107242
              Begin stitching it in. Started with the most difficult area first; reaching down into this corner to get a good clean weld took a bit of patience.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4073.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	107243
              By sessions end I had the entire thing welded up and dressed save for the plug welds along the flanges. It was a full day...

Name:	image_61790.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	107244
              Once I finish up the plug welds I'm onto the outer closing wall. That next...
              Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Nice work Justin very neat!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                  JTR70 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Roy! I feel much better about this area now...

• Plug welds and outer wall:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4076.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.6 KB ID:	107249
                Plug welds along the bottom complete. The secondary holes where for clamping it tight for welding but will also serve to hold the eventual threshold pan. then once the pan is in I'll open them up for plug welding up top here. This was just part of the "planning ahead" phase I have to do since I do not have the luxury of flipping this car over to dress the welds from the bottom.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4078.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.6 KB ID:	107250
                Vertical flange also now plug welded securely from the outside. Again due to the tight space and angle I could not dress the heads cleanly along here. After you've done this repair once or twice you figure out ways to make things easier on yourself. Hopefully anyway.

Name:	image_61793.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	107251
                With the welding now complete on the floor I finished out the final details on the outer wall template.

Name:	image_61794.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	107252
                Transferred to metal. Lots of trimming and final shape bending to come.

Name:	image_61795.jpg
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	107253
                For example the vertical flange on the OG section shows this double bend detail.
                Last edited by JTR70; 10-29-2019, 05:07 PM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4082.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	107255
                  That detail can't really be seen unless the door is off but I want the smoothest transition possible.

Name:	IMG_4084.JPG
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	107256
                  A little more bending and a final trim along the top for a butt joint. (scary part as I don't want to make it too short)

Name:	IMG_4087.JPG
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	107257
                  Panel now ready for final installation. Sealing the back side off in epoxy before it goes on.

Name:	IMG_4089.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	107258
                  Tacked into final position starting at the top to levelness across the panels then adding my set screw postion back in.

Name:	IMG_4090.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	107259
                  Finshing out the welding duties in this corner next.
                  Thanks for stopping by!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• These jobs take time no quick easy fix at all !

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                      JTR70 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you're not cutting corners Roy; definitely it takes time.

• Lower hinge mount repair:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4093.JPG Views:	0 Size:	102.0 KB ID:	107264
                    Again this hinge mount was cut in half by the previous shop so I cut it back in half through their weld joint for removal and to rebuild it a little cleaner this time. The "tail" was soaked in acid to remove the remaining heavy rust that was down in the mating surface. As you can see the lower corner needs a little meat. While working down in this car's chassis I've noticed that this tub was chemically dipped. I always assumed that if you dipped them that ALL rust was eliminated. Not so in this case.

Name:	image_61802.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	107265 Tail and mount surface reattached. This part is always visible so the goal was to conceal this weld joint both front ...

Name:	image_61803.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	107266 ...and back. The other mount flange was caked in mig weld so it was much easier to cut it off and add in a fresh piece. This heavy strap section will do just fine.

Name:	image_61804.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	107267 Last of the repairs to this part ready for welding.

Name:	image_61805.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	107268 Lower mount fully repaired and dressed. Ready to be refitted to the car. Its changed a little through the repairs so it will need some tweaking as it goes.
                    That next.
                    Thanks for looking!
                    Justin
                    Last edited by JTR70; 11-02-2019, 06:23 AM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                    X