chrome 356A turn signal lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome 356A turn signal lever

here's a simple fix for a rusted signal lever. I bought some S/S tube from Amazon 5.5 mm od. and 5mm id. it just fits snugly over the lever, you may need to sand the lever slightly. you get 2 pieces apr. 16" long for 6.00. I thought I would take it apart but it looks real complicated and a replacement is expensive. with the tubing you would have to look real hard and know what your looking at to tell its s/s. the rusted lever looks to be rather common most all the ones I looked at were rusty.
    Jay D.

That is really clever. Nice job.
    Mark Erbesfield
    57 356A
    65 911
    68 912
    73 911S
    66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Really slick idea Jay. I've had several turn signal units with severely pitted levers that where beyond rechroming. This would be the fix. Thanks for sharing!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

the tubing comes smooth and with a good polish, but a quick run on the buffer makes it look just like chrome.

Jay D.

Comment

They all seem to rust mine has some pitting everything else on my original interior is excellent chrome wise. Good result there Jay.

Roy

Comment

yes, mine was the same way. you'll need to sand it smooth as the tubbing fit is snug. I had trouble cutting the tubbing, I first use a tubbing cuter but that swages the end so it won't fit all the way down. the next piece I did I used the tubbing cuter and cut it about 2-3 mm longer than what was needed. then I used a grinder to get the right length, I have a fine stone on one of mine and holding the tubbing at an angle so that you're grinding out from the inside of the tubbing. the tubing is somewhat fragile if you try and grind it normally it will deform the end. be gentle with the knob at the end mine came off easy but I would hate to break one. finish the tube so it fits the knob squarely and maybe use some glue to hold the tube solid.
            Jay D.

Comment

The old trick was to get an old (Euro) antenna that was chromed brass telescoping tubing and take the diameter for the early signal handle and slide it over the bad original chromed shaft after removing the end knob. Usually the price was zero, but this was way before the Internet.

Further electrical improvement used to be, at least a few years ago, to go to Wolfsburg West or another VW resto supplier and buy the same switch but which had a longer handle. Better than too short, eh? Cut to length and make threads and put it in. Of course, that chrome was weak and short-lived and then we'd sleeve that.....and so on.

I am feeling guilty and sad for being away from this site for so long. I owe those like John Pierce return emails and I've been swamped with work and travel. Not enough hours in a day or days in a week. I hear that the older one gets, the faster the time goes.......and my typing just doesn't get any faster with the same 2 index fingers!

Bruce Baker

Comment

We know you're a busy man Bruce but thanks for stopping by when you can.
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                X