Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Window Frames and vent windows....................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Frames and vent windows....................

So here's a bit of a head scratcher.
    Restoring a 59 356A coupe, I noticed that it had vent windows. Now I know that these should have only come on a Carrera or GT. This car is neither. Not only that, it is a july of 59 car, I can find later numbered cars without them. So any idea how it might have ended up with vent windows? I have found other examples so I know that this isn't the only one.

The frames on the A and B are the same except the vent window. Someone has swapped them out in the past, its not too big of a deal,
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A-SRCOUPE011.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	86314
      1959 S/R coupe #108625 does not have wing windows. As John said, most likely a retro fit on your car. Hope this helps.
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

If the doors are numbered to the chassis and the body is not a GT, those are typical of "improvements" done over the decades.

The "4 and 40" theory of moving air by reversing the vent window to push air into the 356 when the rear 1/4 windows are opened for letting it out. Best when 40 mph or more for "Flow-through ventilation."

I just collect the parts for ANY door window frames. An A came in with filled holes for later frames with vent windows. I traded his with mine because I want those vent windows in my s/r A!

Also, while all the frames are brass and seem to be the same, there are subtle differences in relief cuts below the door top, in the door shell....the riveted threaded plates and even the weight of the brass and some very minor differences in thicknesses can be noticed.

I haven't looked at the options lists, but if those were available for an A GT, and were really a ramping-up for the B model Coupe, they may have been like the A model black knobs and steering wheels and even some colors....available but unacknowledged.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
        X