undercarraige and suspension component paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• undercarraige and suspension component paint

I was hoping that someone could advise me on a proper chassis color for our 356 projects.
    We have samples of the gas tank and engine sheet metal paint.
    But what about suspension and undercarriage components? How should they compare to the other samples?
    Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a chassis black or single stage that is a proper sheen?
    Currently we are using a ppg but to achieve the level of sheen we are looking for we have had to use flattener at a ratio of 130 percent.
    Anyone help with this?

My old 356 Guru friend Craig Stevenson believed a Semi-gloss, of about a 30% shine was most correct for all engine tin and suspension components. Some parts throughout the production run could of course be more or less shiny depending on the batch or what paint the manufacture was using at that specific moment. Proper paint agitation before spraying could even play a small role in gloss variance. I asked my paint supplier years ago about a semi-gloss offering but they said there was no such product. Its up to the customer to do exactly what you (& me) are already doing by adding in our own flattening agent to suit.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis4576.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	84167
    Here is something I recently started doing. Instead of flattening my single stage gloss black I bought a quart of two stage black base as it dries with a nice soft sheen. It could be a touch flatter than 30% but not by much, anyway I just love the way it comes out as it really reminds me of that black electro-coating that those new replacement body panels come in. The only change I make for this specific application is I add catalyst to it since its of course not getting a top coat of clear. I'll be painting a few small parts this way shortly and will post the results. Hope this helped.
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

"Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a chassis black or single stage that is a proper sheen?"Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_34771.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	84195

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_34851.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	84194

For many years, I used Spies-Hecker's "Rallye Black" urethane, but alas, it's NLA. Try Eastwood for a chassis black in a single stage product, but I have no experience with it. And, there may be others.
      Also, to be clear, the industrial coatings applied by vendors to Porsche could change from one part to another of the engine tin on a 356 or anywhere else. It all looked at least similar, but the sheen would shift from more flat to more gloss but not either all the way.

Bruce

Comment

I've used Duplicolor low gloss engine enamel. It has a nice look.

Mike
        Mike
        '63 B coupe

Comment

Working...
        X