Driving around San Jose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving around San Jose

Today was drive my 1958, 58 year old (isn't that amazing) Porsche today. I passed by this little place called "Dels" and dropped by. Del was doing a BIG job on a very early Cabriolet. Looked like he knew what he was doing ! Thanks.

-Allen-
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1565.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	73227

Thanks Alan! Neat to see a small independent Porsche repair outfit still hanging in there; looks like in the old part of town too. Justin

BTW: to answer your Speedster Steering wheel question: All Speedsters, on up to the end in 1958 where originally fitted with the smaller 400MM wheel which where the same ones found on all the later pre-A and early 356AT1 coupes and Cabriolets. I was told this many years ago by the late Craig Stevenson.
    Justin Rio

Comment

My post was a little tongue in cheek as Del is a very well known Porsche body shop having restored many many concours winning Porsches. These days Del works mostly on his own cars but at the moment he is working on a '54 Cab, never hit but needs lots of rust repairs. Thanks.

-Allen-

Comment

Yes correct, the earlier cars had 400mm diameter wheels and standard on speedsters. But the T2 58-59 could also be equipped from new with 400 instead of the newer 420mm. My 59 has a 400mm wheel. Until the question came up some years ago on the registry I had no idea about steering wheel diameters. It was said many drivers preferred the 400mm size over the 420mm. ( nice photo by the way. The old 356 cars just don't look old fashioned do they!!)

Roy

Comment

That would be Del Sessions, top of the hill restorer and a a wonderful guy.
          Was Denny there with him ?
          Cheers,
          Joel

Comment

Oh, That shows you just how hopelessly out of the loop I am.
            Justin Rio

Comment

I'm not so sure about that. Looks like you're in the Carrera oil cooler line loop to me!

Comment

Not to worry Justin, the 356 loop is is loopier than most...
                Best,
                Joel

Comment

Working...
                X