Views:	25
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	68491

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-10-18-2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	68492
    A million years ago my brother sent me a set of wheels off his 63 coupe. The are Drum Brake Fuchs looking casting made by AWE 5.5X15 (see photos). Not having a need for them, I just left them in the cardboard shipping boxes unopened. Now after many moves I can not find the lug nuts for them.

The face of the wheel looks like the lugs are flat or had a washer?? There is no taper or radius The Hole is 17.5mm and the washer spot face is 29mm. Did that have an insert to a sleeve under the flat?

Does anyone have a set of these wheels or a lug nut they could photo for me.

Thanks
    John
    Pushed around since 1966.

Figured it out. Found a source for the nuts, just need to turn them down .040. They are American eagle wheels (AEW) Thanks

Comment

One thing about the internet, do enough research and you can just about answer all of your own questions. From what I gather those old wheels are quite sought after these days. Glad you've got it handled.
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	image_2015-10-19.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	68531

Name:	image_2015-10-19-2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	68532

Name:	image_2015-10-19-3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	68533
        Found some in the old junk stuff bin at the local Les Schawb tire shop with the correct pitch. They were all 0.125 too large and from 0.250-0.750 too long.

Well then made up a fixture, cut them down to 0.0025 smaller than the wheel hole, shortened the to .050 less than the hub thickness and presto. They are a pain to line up, and get started but when finger tight, no wobble at all.

Comment

I have those wheels on my VW and have another for set for my 356. I bought my lugs/washers from Advance auto...don't need to machine them down.

Comment

All the nuts I could find were too long and too large in diameter. I found some 1/2" that were close but the 14x1.5 are out of production. SO I cut them down to fit, shortened them, then powder coated them and the centers to match the car. Just a fun day in the shop.

Comment

Frank

Have you tried these on the front to your 356. I did the fitting on the rear. When I put them on the front the bearing caps and speedometer cable protrude beyond the center cap by 0.300. Looks like back to the lathe for center caps.

JOhn

Comment

I had American Racing Torque Thrust D true mag wheels with the 130mm pattern on a Speedster that I raced long ago but 'lost' the same style lug nuts as posted here, over time.

I did NOT/could not find replacements, so a German bought the wheels a few years ago and it became HIS problem. (He was advised of the special-ness of those nuts and didn't care. He was also advised of how poorly porous magnesium ages, but they were going on a static display of an old racing Speedster over there and he was going to put tubes in the vintage-appropriate tires to be mounted anyway.)

Be careful of old cast wheels!

Comment

Name:	image_2015-10-29.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	68835
                  Yea. Hard to find, Tell me. But after a little mod,
                  they work.

Comment

Working...