HEATER WIRES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEATER WIRES

I have a question about heater cables or wires. how do the wires connect to the heater control lever? I have new heater wires from Stoddard and they are 2 individual wires for a 356 A. I must be missing something.
    Jay D.

Jay: they are connected by a short piece of tubing used as a splice. Sorry I don't have a pic but hopefully someone will post one.

Mike
    Mike
    '63 B coupe

Comment

It would be nice to have a picture. I don't find anything that would connect them in my boxes of parts. but then I don't know what i'm looking for.
      thanks Jay D.

Comment

The best way I can describe it is that one wire is fed through from the back of the car through the heater knob spindle and then routed back to the rear. The second wire, also coming from the back is joined to the other wire with a small hollow tube acting as a splice. The wire heading to the front is fed through the splice and then the end is bent back locking it in place. The wire heading to the rear is also fed through the splice and bent back. You have to leave enough distance from the spindle so that the wire is able to be activated without binding when the heater knob is twisted.

Think of the splice as making the wire one continuous piece as on the T-6.

I am really sorry I couldn't find a pic.

Mike
        Mike
        '63 B coupe

Comment

It would be nice to have a picture. I don't find anything that would connect them in my boxes of parts. but then I don't know what i'm looking for.
          thanks Jay D.

Comment

The splice would be a small round tube maybe 15mm's long and 3mm's o.d.

If you contact Ed Rutherford at Klasse 356, I know he has had some made up and perhaps can send you more detailed instructions on installation.

He's not in the shop tomorrow morning but willbe in about 1:30 Pacific time.

Mike
            Mike
            '63 B coupe

Comment

THANKS Mike i'll give him a call

Comment

I gave him a heads up, Jay.

Mike
                Mike
                '63 B coupe

Comment

unless im thinking of the wrong thing it has a hole through the middle center to place the cables in and the a tightening screw through the top center...

Comment

No tightening screw. The splice for the hand throttle, however, has two set screws.

Mike
                    Mike
                    '63 B coupe

Comment

maybe thats what im thinking of. oh well, im sure the pic will make us all think... OHYA! i guess mines been apart for too long

Comment

Jay is going to contact Ed Rutherford of Klasse 356 who hopefully will post some pics so everyone can see how the heater cables are joined.

Mike
                        Mike
                        '63 B coupe

Comment

I misunderstood this post, I read "heater wires" and dismissed it as something to do with the electrical. I have had these pics for some time as another guy had a similar question a while back. Hope this helps:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	3561973.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	63899
                          Wire is just looped back and a metal collar slides over to secure the end.

Name:	3561975.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	63901

Name:	3561977.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	63900
                          Its just a piece of tubing that easily slides over and is not by any means a crimp fit.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Justin you are the MAN!

Comment

yes he is thanks very much. looks like a couple short pieces of tubing and i'll have the heater ( cables)installed. yep I got to thinking wires might not be the correct terminology, but they are wires.
                              Jay D.

Comment

Working...
                              X